Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine belt questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 11:02 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

I did mine last summer after 8 years. Belt was still in good shape. I believe the service recommendation is 6 years. This video explains the procedure
Old 02-24-2024, 11:42 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
I did mine last summer after 8 years. Belt was still in good shape. I believe the service recommendation is 6 years. This video explains the procedure https://youtu.be/aPEO3rnFHco.
I did it on my last Boxster and reported about the job here in forum. It is actually pretty simple but it is efing easy to lose that bolt. I tried to secure it with all what is recommended and still lost it. It took me two days to find it. I was looking for the bolt all the way in the bottom of the car but it was just few inches below the area where it fell down. Another mistake I did was to try to get the belt out as it was. It took longer to get the belt out than putting the new one in. Keep it easy, just cut the belt with scissors and pull it. Do only thing what I was not sure of was that the belt seem to be not running super smoothly, there was a slight dance but it worked perfectly. I don't know if the dance was normal or if I was supposed to do it differently?

I just ordered the conti belt (which is the same as the Porsche Belt) from Pelican parts and planning to do it on my (to me) new boxster. The conti belt costs half the price of the Porsche belt and is exact same part. I think I just paid 25 bucks for it. The funny thing is that I really forgot all the main details of the job and pulled my old post to read through lol https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ent-981-a.html

Last edited by john981; 02-25-2024 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:34 AM
gedwin
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Regarding losing the bolt, take a decent size rag and stuff it in the area under the bolt. Spread it a bit and it should fill the area where the bolt could fall. That way the bolt has no where to drop. I did this when I replaced my belt, and there is no where for the bolt to go if you spread that rag correctly. Just don't forget to remove the rag when you are done.
The following users liked this post:
Randy_B (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 12:00 PM
Randy_B
Pro

Received 564 Likes on 254 Posts

I recently replaced the original belts on my '03 330i. After nearly 20 years, it was time. I doubt I wait that long on the Cayman though.
The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (02-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt questions