Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-pipe & tips that don't stick out

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 07:28 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Richard.;19226905]Some good Products on Aliexpress.com, from various suppliers at great prices, virtually all US supplied items are made in China or Taiwan, X -pipe tips made no difference to sound on a 981
/QUOTE]

From all the videos on YouTube about this, the only before/after difference seems to come from RPM differences and not an actual tone shift. Maybe I just dont have good enough ears. But for the price guys like Soul charge, I had better hear an obvious difference. I think performance is negligible and not worth considering.

Now, at aliexpress prices, what the heck. It would be worth playing with even it it was a bust and there was no sound change. However a simple search on alixpress shows no x-pipes. Maybe they dont like my search terms or they call it something different. What were you finding when you looked?
Old 02-28-2024, 10:52 AM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
Shocking, Fabspeed posting something negative about Soul? Nobody would believe it!

Another thing nobody would believe is that an x-pipe (which I would argue this isn't even an xpipe in the traditional sense), but regardless....an "xpipe" this close to exit is not gaining 4hp, nor is it losing 15hp lol. Additionally, 4hp on a dyno is a rounding error. I'm sure everyone is well aware of technique's that Fabspeed has employed to show theirs is superior to anything else ever created.
when do you need this better flow. I would imagine that might only make a difference at 7k or higher. Doubt a dyno could tell the difference let alone your butt. Buy what you like, simple as that.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:00 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
...On a side note I used a Dansk 4" tip on one of my air cooled 911's and later switched to a 3" tip. It made a significant change in exhaust note but absolutely no change in power. The 4" was quite a bit louder than the 3" tip. The sound of that car gets more attention than any 981 at half the HP.
Thanks for that bit, good to know.
If/When I move to a High-Flow CAT and I think its too loud, will try the 3" tips to smooth things out.

My my experience was the base Cayman came with that large mono tip . The change to the Fabspeed X-Pipe was dramatic (but installed when the GT/Carnewall mod was done).
Butt dyno was obviously much better. Engine spins up the revs much quicker and more freely. Engine breaths better and the exhaust note is fantastic. Does everything I want it to do.
Am perfectly fine with the profile of the Fabspeed X-Pipe tips..got the carbon fiber vesion. Looks great against the black paint.

Old 03-01-2024, 03:45 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest72
I would imagine that might only make a difference at 7k or higher. Doubt a dyno could tell the difference let alone your butt.
I'm certainly not feeling anything in the butt dyno (nor was I expecting to).

Fabspeed is only claiming small differences in narrow areas, mostly above 5600rpm. The largest gain they claim is briefly at 3300-3600rpm. I think that may be when the intake flap or camshafts change over.

Quick Reply: X-pipe & tips that don't stick out