Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to reset a confused Boxster roof latch mechanism...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 04:05 PM
JPPoulin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to reset a confused Boxster roof latch mechanism...

Hello fabulous Porsche owners

The powered latch on my (otherwise amazing) Porsche Boxster S 2013 (981) is not functioning properly and the roof does not fully lock in place once to soft top reaches the fully closed position. Here's the evidence so far:
- Currently the mechanized latch stays in the contracted position at all times.
- The behavior was different a week ago before my battery died. The latch operated in/out but was 'inverted' in its behavior (was extended when it should be contracted and vice-versa)
- The soft top itself acts weirdly. When lowering the top, it only opens about 75% of the way then stops. Pressing the 'bring top down' button at this point does nothing. If I press and hold the 'bring top up' button then the top go back up. However if I press and *release* the same 'bring top up' button then the top will go *down* a couple inches! If I repeat pressing 'bring top up' about 4 times then the top will eventually be fully down and I can enjoy the top-down experience.
- The vehicle's info display displays 'Top opening / closing' and will sometime give 'Error with soft top'. I tried to obtain error messages with my basic OBDII scanning tool but no message appears.
- (I purchased this vehicle last year and the soft top never fully worked right)

Q1: Is there a 'reset procedure' so the entire assembly recalibrates itself?
Q2: Would purchasing a PIWIS help with this problem?
Q3: Would it be worth my time to take apart the mechanized lock mechanism? (perhaps a sensor or a microswitch is acting up?)

Thank for any hint you can offer!

Last edited by JPPoulin; 09-23-2023 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Clarity on button naming
Old 02-21-2024, 10:58 AM
atottey
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reset a confused Boxster roof latch mechanism

Originally Posted by JPPoulin
Hello fabulous Porsche owners

The powered latch on my (otherwise amazing) Porsche Boxster S 2013 (981) is not functioning properly and the roof does not fully lock in place once to soft top reaches the fully closed position. Here's the evidence so far:
- Currently the mechanized latch stays in the contracted position at all times.
- The behavior was different a week ago before my battery died. The latch operated in/out but was 'inverted' in its behavior (was extended when it should be contracted and vice-versa)
- The soft top itself acts weirdly. When lowering the top, it only opens about 75% of the way then stops. Pressing the 'bring top down' button at this point does nothing. If I press and hold the 'bring top up' button then the top go back up. However if I press and *release* the same 'bring top up' button then the top will go *down* a couple inches! If I repeat pressing 'bring top up' about 4 times then the top will eventually be fully down and I can enjoy the top-down experience.
- The vehicle's info display displays 'Top opening / closing' and will sometime give 'Error with soft top'. I tried to obtain error messages with my basic OBDII scanning tool but no message appears.
- (I purchased this vehicle last year and the soft top never fully worked right)

Q1: Is there a 'reset procedure' so the entire assembly recalibrates itself?
Q2: Would purchasing a PIWIS help with this problem?
Q3: Would it be worth my time to take apart the mechanized lock mechanism? (perhaps a sensor or a microswitch is acting up?)

Thank for any hint you can offer!
Afternoon, I have the exact same issue with my 2013 981. Did you ever find a fix for this problem?

Thanks,

Andy.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:00 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Suspect one of the several micro-switches has failed. Trying searching the internet and in particular YouTube for videos. Find an independent shop with a PIWIS to see if there are any codes.

Quick Reply: How to reset a confused Boxster roof latch mechanism...