Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voluntary Emissions Recall - Calif.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 04:52 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Voluntary Emissions Recall - Calif.

I just got one for my 981S.. This time they are offering $250 plus a loner. I vaguely remember something about this a few years ago. Should I pay for my next fancy dinner, or let Porsche do it?
Thanx,
Richard
Old 04-10-2023, 05:51 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 307 Posts

Keep the 981 the way it is.

We also have the Cayenne Diesel that required the "tune" for emission. No Bueno!
We love he Diesel; but, it has been neutered.
Not going down that road again.

They can keep their $250
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (04-11-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 06:53 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 350 Posts

I believe the following from @ICNU will give you some background to make your decision....

Originally Posted by ICNU
It doesnt change anything about Sport + other than how it behaves in full auto mode. It changes the Sport+ function to more of a "dual function" depending on how the user is driving according to those who have had it done.

Pre update, Sport + is not drivable in full auto mode on anything other than the track due to the near redline upshifts/downshifts, hence why those that use it on the street always shift manually.

Post update allows Sports + to operate normally in full auto mode on the street under normal driving conditions, however getting aggressive on the throttle and keeping the RPM up sends the logic back to the old method, and the car will start to run near redline again before shifting as it assumes you are on a track.

This seems to be more of a technicality they are addressing here so they can say that Sport + isnt creating more emissions than it should when being used on the street, but no one ever drove it in full auto on the street to begin with. Manually shifting defeats the point of this so called fix, so nothing at all changes for those that drive that way

IMO its an on paper only fix to satisfy the emissions overlords so Porsche can say "all is fine if they let the car we designed handle the shifts in sport + on the street", but those that like to drive in full auto with their PDK may find the update useful since it makes the Sport + mode useable on the street for them
Old 04-11-2023, 12:36 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you, ICNU and Kman. You have made it simple enough for me to understand. It looks like dinner is on Porsche for the first time in about 40 years & X number of P-cars.

Quick Reply: Voluntary Emissions Recall - Calif.