Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Known Issues with 981 Base PDK Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 11:00 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

Jan 2016 for my Spyder. I’ll take a look next time I’m under the car. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2023, 09:34 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

So is this something to be more or less concerned about with age? My car has >80k miles on it and doesn't have the retainer, but also doesn't have any signs of leaking. I'm not opposed to spending the $40 but it'd be disppointing to create a leak by messing with the joint.
Old 07-15-2023, 01:20 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 174 Posts

Done and done with the Retaining Bracket install.
Dittos.. was really simple.

Note to QuickJack owners -
If you want to remove the belly pan piece (which I'm sure makes getting to that top bolt even easier), the two outside Torx T-25 fasteners end up blocked by the QuickJack rails.
So remove those two fasteners before lifting the car. I removed all the other T-25's, loosened the 10mm fasteners and then used the low profile QJ pucks to hold the belly pan open (instead of a piece of wood as mentioned by @Ernest72 )
Still no big whoop.

I put baby doll up on the QuickJack the night before so I could do the job cold, but sill leaked about 20ml of coolant in the process.
My battery powered right-angle ratched wrench made quick work of removing the old bolts and installing the new ones.
Again no big whoop.

Glad its done.
Thanks again to the group for the info share.
Old 07-15-2023, 02:36 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
If you want to remove the belly pan piece (which I'm sure makes getting to that top bolt even easier), the two outside Torx T-25 fasteners end up blocked by the QuickJack rails.
So remove those two fasteners before lifting the car.
If I had $5 for every time I put my car up on QuickJacks and forgot to take those two outside T-25 fasteners out (back when I was tracking my car and fiddling with various headers and doing more oil changes) I could buy a really nice steak dinner at Del Frisco's.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:23 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Nah, Ya gotta do it like me. You can get a smallish 3/8 drive socket and ratchet in there. I had the wheels off mine when I did it, so it was either put the wheels back on, drop it down to remove those nuts, then back in the air, or curse and get it the hard way. I was painting my lug bolts so the wheels on option really wasn't available.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:06 AM
cyclealt
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my '14 CS early '22 and it didn't have the door card issue but after parking it outside at work for 2 summers both sides started to show some lifting so decided to get it fixed early. Call Pedro before you start packing the panels, he gives great advise for packing and shipping.

Got my door panels back from Perdo's Garage last week and they look great. They fixed it quick despite hurricane Idalia arriving the next day. Quick and economical shipping from the pacific NW to Florida.

Thanks Pedro glad to hear everyone was safe.

I've got 100000 kms now and no leaks from the coolant pipe but got the parts and will do the fix next spring.

Quick Reply: Known Issues with 981 Base PDK Cars?