Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981S - Acceleration not very smooth - is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 11:09 AM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by rr_gts
Is this the one you bought that came with an O-ring?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU981CXCAPS.html
that’s the trim piece.

this is the actual oil cap.
SKU: 98110703508
Old 08-06-2024, 02:31 AM
rezilient
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sajan
that’s the trim piece.

this is the actual oil cap.
SKU: 98110703508
Hi ​​​@Sajan @subshooter sorry to bump a pretty old thread but I had a question for anyone that was having similar hesitation/stumbling issues and resolved it.

I’ve been reading about carbon build-up on the intake valves on our DFI engines and was wondering if you looked into doing a walnut blast or similar? For example: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/bef...981-cs.255957/

I’ll probably go ahead and order the oil cap anyway but am pretty confident I’m going to end up needing to blast the intake ports.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:21 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by rezilient
Hi ​​​@Sajan @subshooter sorry to bump a pretty old thread but I had a question for anyone that was having similar hesitation/stumbling issues and resolved it.

I’ve been reading about carbon build-up on the intake valves on our DFI engines and was wondering if you looked into doing a walnut blast or similar? For example: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/bef...981-cs.255957/

I’ll probably go ahead and order the oil cap anyway but am pretty confident I’m going to end up needing to blast the intake ports.

Thanks.
Cars that have exhibited this had relatively low miles on them so I doubt doing something like that would help.

My conclusion on this is it's related to crankcase pressure.
The following users liked this post:
rezilient (08-06-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 10:49 AM
quantim0
5th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My ‘15 cayman S has/had this issue of a hard stutter or power cut between 2200-2600 under partial throttle.

I loaded the Cobb OTS ecu/tcu tune and that definitely helped minimize the issue but it’s not totally gone.

Checked my oil cap and I do not have the o-ring. Ordered the part from Subcoast and will report back.

When checking the oil cap o-ring I noticed a lot of oil had burped back up into the cap area. I had just completed and oil change so I’d imagine there was some excess oil not drained into the sump, but I don’t think pressure should be escaping through that area forcing oil back up the tube.
Sajan (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 01:11 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 288 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by quantim0
My ‘15 cayman S has/had this issue of a hard stutter or power cut between 2200-2600 under partial throttle.

I loaded the Cobb OTS ecu/tcu tune and that definitely helped minimize the issue but it’s not totally gone.

Checked my oil cap and I do not have the o-ring. Ordered the part from Subcoast and will report back.

When checking the oil cap o-ring I noticed a lot of oil had burped back up into the cap area. I had just completed and oil change so I’d imagine there was some excess oil not drained into the sump, but I don’t think pressure should be escaping through that area forcing oil back up the tube.
If you also has hesitation on start - like battery is low, and misfire errors in the report - HPFP would be my first suspect
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

rezilient (08-16-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 10:40 AM
Renius
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My well maintained 2013 Boxster S with 115,000km was also experiencing at bit of "stumbling" around 2500rpm.
It had the factory oil cap with the missing upper o-ring and had oil residue all under the cap.
I ordered a cap from the Porsche dealer for $30 CDN all-in and have been running it for a week now (400km)

I believe the hesitation is now gone or at least materially reduced! Go figure
Thanks for hard debugging work the recommendation to try this easy / cheap fix.
Sajan (08-15-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 09:42 AM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

I never felt my 981 base accelerated smoothly from lowish revs and the Softronic tune 100% eliminated that - and of course made it feel stronger too. I think it's a trait of the car, that the careful attention of a tuner such as Softronic can eliminate.
rezilient (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 11:23 AM
rezilient
Advanced

Originally Posted by Renius
My well maintained 2013 Boxster S with 115,000km was also experiencing at bit of "stumbling" around 2500rpm.
It had the factory oil cap with the missing upper o-ring and had oil residue all under the cap.
I ordered a cap from the Porsche dealer for $30 CDN all-in and have been running it for a week now (400km)

I believe the hesitation is now gone or at least materially reduced! Go figure
Thanks for hard debugging work the recommendation to try this easy / cheap fix.
I replaced mine unfortunately didn't see any difference (but at least I'm using the improved oil cap at this point).
Old 08-16-2024, 11:25 AM
rezilient
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chrismalberts
I never felt my 981 base accelerated smoothly from lowish revs and the Softronic tune 100% eliminated that - and of course made it feel stronger too. I think it's a trait of the car, that the careful attention of a tuner such as Softronic can eliminate.
I need to try this, thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: 981S - Acceleration not very smooth - is this normal?