Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Upgraded" Steering Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 09:44 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 124 Posts

No issue experimenting and seeing how it feels. Can always reverse it. But I am happy with my GT3 calibration for street driving.
The following users liked this post:
pedal bliss (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 03:21 AM
pedal bliss
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dps214
Man, changing the overall tune to a different existing preset tune is one thing, randomly disabling whole parts of the system is...uh...something else. Also maybe I'm doing something wrong but "road imperfections rip the steering wheel out of my hands sometimes" doesn't seem like a positive improvement to "confidence in holding a steering angle" to me.
the only time the wheel turned it self like you described was when I had power steering plus on, that felt way to boosted. even a go kart can't rip my hands off the wheel.
With this it is just slightly stiffer to turn/it's not ripping my thumbs off my hands, I would say the factory car is more mercedes like, isolated luxury boring "refined" S-Class, for me this programming is a bit more sporty, like a bmw. It's not as huge of a difference as that but it's my flavor. It's like when you go over a tar snake the programming on ignores it. with this setting off the steering wheel actually responds to real world road condition, the wheel slightly turns less than 1/4 an inchand then straigtens its self as the snake ends and the caster continues.in summary this is more sporty and less luxury. You could argue it's on for a reason, I would argue if this was a gt4 or 911 S/T they turn this off to give you a sportier car steering feel.
Also I have turned off and on other settings with the car and nothing negative has happend. I find the computer either works or it does not accept the programming. Everything is undoable with the engineering mode.
Im getting potenza sports installed tomorrow so I will have to relearn my steering feel and break in my tires before continuing testing between settings off and on. I hope someone else can try this with at least the torque reduction feature turned off. The middle picture I posted just seems to output testing data / values for actual engineering on some other part of the software it is not necessary probably.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:25 AM
pedal bliss
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bassir
I can see a car someday topographically scanning the road in front of you for imperfections and modifying the electronic steering tune in real time. But you're right -- there is probably a reason it's off by default even in all premium cars. It's one thing to "upgrade" to another trim level via bypassing software locks and it's another thing to mess w default settings common across models. Could see people turning it off for controlled drives with known road conditions.
I don't know for a fact if the torque force reduction software is on for all models. We have not yet seen a gt4 or 911 gt3 with this specific setting mentioned, we know the gt4 suffered the same steering as factory though. I would not assume this programming is on for all cars by default. chances are if someone owns a 911 gt3 they aren't looking at this thread.I would love to see their setting though to know for sure.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:33 AM
pedal bliss
Intermediate

I also found out how to have the neutral sign on for the manual, It's great for me, I don't have to double check with my hand which is good because the shifter in gear is also sloppy so a potential mistake could happen. Also I can look at the gauge while driving to see i'm in neutral rather that hand checking it it's just a nice extra thing rather than leaving the blank in neutral which is the same as in gear with clutch in. And it only says N when the stick is the dead center not just when the clutch is in and the stick in gear, than it just stays blank:

Old 04-24-2024, 07:07 PM
cjrhoades
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by pedal bliss
I also found out how to have the neutral sign on for the manual, It's great for me, I don't have to double check with my hand which is good because the shifter in gear is also sloppy so a potential mistake could happen. Also I can look at the gauge while driving to see i'm in neutral rather that hand checking it it's just a nice extra thing rather than leaving the blank in neutral which is the same as in gear with clutch in. And it only says N when the stick is the dead center not just when the clutch is in and the stick in gear, than it just stays blank:

Mind sharing how?
Old 04-24-2024, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cjrhoades
Mind sharing how?
Kombiinstrument -> Weitere Codierungen: Ganganzeige Anzeige N aktiviert -> ja
The following 3 users liked this post by 01010011:
cjrhoades (05-20-2024), Mike981S (06-06-2024), nhnguy12 (04-25-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 07:40 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone successfully coded the GT3 steering using Thinkdiag? Mine is a 2014 Cayman S and I can't find any optional EPS settings. I know from reading the Thinkdiag thread on the 991 Forum that different cars have different menus but I only find the 981 option??
Old 05-17-2024, 06:54 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
Anyone successfully coded the GT3 steering using Thinkdiag? Mine is a 2014 Cayman S and I can't find any optional EPS settings. I know from reading the Thinkdiag thread on the 991 Forum that different cars have different menus but I only find the 981 option??
I would doubt it would work. Find some one with a PIwIS. It takes minutes.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:02 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 620 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Los Angeles PIWIS meeting

Finalized the dates for my yearly Yosemite roadtrip and I will be passing through Los Angeles on June 2nd (Sunday). So far there are 5 rennlist folks interested in meeting up. Shoot me a PM if you're in the area and you wish to be added to the whatsapp group for more details.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:35 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Another Arizona cars and coding session. Off to California next weekend!
The following 2 users liked this post by nhnguy12:
BondJ (05-26-2024), empowah (05-28-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 02:58 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Originally Posted by nhnguy12

Another Arizona cars and coding session. Off to California next weekend!
You are the man. Improving the lives of so many porsche owners. I have not done one in awhile. A lot less cars in the tristate NY area, I guess.
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (05-26-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 07:22 AM
cjrhoades
Racer

After several months with the GT3 calibration, I've switched back to standard. I've been chasing a steering vibration/oscillation for a while now and finally figured out that it was being caused by the GT3 calibration. I didn't attribute it to that at first because it wasn't immediately noticeable. It only happens from approximately 45-55mph with the steering wheel centered and is most prominent at 50mph. When I first noticed it, I thought maybe I lost a wheel weight, but I had them rebalanced and it didn't fix it. I lived with it for a while thinking maybe one of the front wheels was slightly bent, but it persisted even after replacing all 4 wheels and tires. I even got an alignment which of course also didn't fix it.

Out of ideas, I switched the calibration back to standard and low and behold, problem solved. The only thing I can think of is that the on-center feel with the GT3 calibration is simultaneously lighter and has over-boosted feedback. By that I mean there's less resistance to turning the wheel on center, but at the same time exaggerated road feel and feedback. It might be that while the EPS unit is the same, the different suspension/steering geometry of the Cayman causes a sort of feedback loop introducing an on-center oscillation at certain speeds.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else also has this issue. Not sure if it's a problem with my car, if others just haven't noticed (as I didn't at first), or if I'm just more sensitive to it.
Old 06-10-2024, 09:48 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

After several months with the GT3 calibration, I've switched back to standard. I've been chasing a steering vibration/oscillation for a while now and finally figured out that it was being caused by the GT3 calibration. I didn't attribute it to that at first because it wasn't immediately noticeable. It only happens from approximately 45-55mph with the steering wheel centered and is most prominent at 50mph. When I first noticed it, I thought maybe I lost a wheel weight, but I had them rebalanced and it didn't fix it. I lived with it for a while thinking maybe one of the front wheels was slightly bent, but it persisted even after replacing all 4 wheels and tires. I even got an alignment which of course also didn't fix it.

Out of ideas, I switched the calibration back to standard and low and behold, problem solved. The only thing I can think of is that the on-center feel with the GT3 calibration is simultaneously lighter and has over-boosted feedback. By that I mean there's less resistance to turning the wheel on center, but at the same time exaggerated road feel and feedback. It might be that while the EPS unit is the same, the different suspension/steering geometry of the Cayman causes a sort of feedback loop introducing an on-center oscillation at certain speeds.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else also has this issue. Not sure if it's a problem with my car, if others just haven't noticed (as I didn't at first), or if I'm just more sensitive to it.
Haven't had any complaints from the many people I've programmed the EPS for. And I typically go on drives with many of these folks on a monthly basis so I'm sure they would've said something. An alternative theory is that something is causing the oscillations in your suspension and the stock EPS is so numb it doesn't communicate that with you. Either way steering feel is largely subjective so as long as you found a solution you're happy with it's all good.
Old 06-10-2024, 10:00 AM
cjrhoades
Racer

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
Haven't had any complaints from the many people I've programmed the EPS for. And I typically go on drives with many of these folks on a monthly basis so I'm sure they would've said something. An alternative theory is that something is causing the oscillations in your suspension and the stock EPS is so numb it doesn't communicate that with you. Either way steering feel is largely subjective so as long as you found a solution you're happy with it's all good.
I don't discount that possibility, but I don't know what else it could be at this point given I've replaced all 4 wheels/tires and had an alignment performed. I am having X73 suspension installed next month so I may revisit the GT3 calibration afterward to see if anything's changed.

My Cayman is a daily driver and there's a ~5 minute period on my daily work commute where I'm driving on a perfectly straight road at 50mph, so once I noticed it, I couldn't stop noticing it. It's only a very slight oscillation, especially with hands firmly on the wheel. It becomes more obvious and can be seen visually with hands removed from the wheel.
Old 06-10-2024, 10:03 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

I don't discount that possibility, but I don't know what else it could be at this point given I've replaced all 4 wheels/tires and had an alignment performed. I am having X73 suspension installed next month so I may revisit the GT3 calibration afterward to see if anything's changed.

My Cayman is a daily driver and there's a ~5 minute period on my daily work commute where I'm driving on a perfectly straight road at 50mph, so once I noticed it, I couldn't stop noticing it. It's only a very slight oscillation, especially with hands firmly on the wheel. It becomes more obvious and can be seen visually with hands removed from the wheel.
Yea keep us updated! My steering "chatters" more on uneven roads but nothing that would suggest there is something wrong.

Quick Reply: "Upgraded" Steering Feel?