Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Upgraded" Steering Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 10:46 AM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by rbhun01
Hi
I found this thread by accident. I have a 971 Panamera. Can somebody please tell me if this can be done on this model? I really dislike the steering after my old Boxster, and especially my Maserati. It would be a great addition if it worked. I do not know where to find part numbers, otherwise I'd check if its the same part number

Also, is Power steering plus in the 981 means rear axle steering? does this upgrade change that too?

thanks
Not sure as I have never done a panamera. I imagine it’s programmable just not sure what options you would have. Would need to see. If the GT3 cal shows up. Depending what year you might need a PIWIS 3. I have a PIWIS 2 which is 16 or earlier. Find someone local with the correct PIwIS and try. If you are local to NY hit me up.

There is no rear steering on a 981. Power steering plus is an option for the 981 and it’s nothing special. The gT3 cal is better.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:50 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,659 Posts

I just bought a 981 Boxster and stumbled upon this thread. Very interesting. I read the first few pages, but not all 21. I did have a similar comment/question as someone else who posted about adjustable steering feel in Mustangs vs this. I also have a 718 Cayman GTS and had a GT350. I have no complaints about the Cayman, and the GT350 I always preferred the steering in sport/stiff mode. I wonder if the GT3 mode with lighter on-center feel will be something I prefer or not. I guess there's only one way to find out.

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who did not like the change and chose to revert back to stock.

Anyone in the NY (Long Island) area that can do this at home without going to the shop? Mostly for a convenience factor more than any money saved.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:56 AM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I just bought a 981 Boxster and stumbled upon this thread. Very interesting. I read the first few pages, but not all 21. I did have a similar comment/question as someone else who posted about adjustable steering feel in Mustangs vs this. I also have a 718 Cayman GTS and had a GT350. I have no complaints about the Cayman, and the GT350 I always preferred the steering in sport/stiff mode. I wonder if the GT3 mode with lighter on-center feel will be something I prefer or not. I guess there's only one way to find out.

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who did not like the change and chose to revert back to stock.

Anyone in the NY (Long Island) area that can do this at home without going to the shop? Mostly for a convenience factor more than any money saved.
I am in Rockland county and have a PIwIS 2, if you ever get off the island.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:30 PM
Andydna15
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 39 Posts

I’m in interested in getting this done. If anyone in Socal gets a group together please add me to the list👍.
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 01:44 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Andydna15
I’m in interested in getting this done. If anyone in Socal gets a group together please add me to the list👍.
Originally Posted by bassir
We would happily subsidize some of the Yosemite pilgrimages. You deserve it for being asked to use Windows XP in 2024.

I'd be interested in organizing a group of 981 LA PIWIS pioneers. How granular are these Porsche communities?
Originally Posted by empowah
Like bassir, I too would be interested in a GT3 steering coding session! I have a 981 base (2016) as well. Happy to pitch in for your time.

I experienced a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 at PECLA today, and the lighter steering tune on that made the car feel more agile. The 981 EPAS tuning seems unnecessarily heavy and dull by comparison.
Shoot me a PM and we can get whatsapp/grouptext going so that I can give you more details of when/where I'll be passing through socal.
empowah (05-01-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 02:57 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest72
I am in Rockland county and have a PIwIS 2, if you ever get off the island.
Thanks. I'll PM you. I get up there somewhat regularly (including tomorrow actually lol)

Old 04-19-2024, 02:58 PM
NoSoup4U!
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
Shoot me a PM and we can get whatsapp/grouptext going so that I can give you more details of when/where I'll be passing through socal.
sent you a dm
nhnguy12 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 05:45 PM
xbeamelite
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a shoutout to Ernest72 and nhnguy12 for helping the community out so much with this upgrade!
The following 5 users liked this post by xbeamelite:
AdamIsAdam (04-19-2024), Ernest72 (04-23-2024), Jim981CS (04-19-2024), kwikit356 (05-05-2024), nhnguy12 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 05:47 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 309 Posts

Still hoping someone in NOLA BR corridor has a PIWIS and can help out.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:40 PM
pedal bliss
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey guys,
I think I found a way to make the steering feel more different (in addition to the gt3 programming). I disabled(inactiv) the "driving physics return and torque force reduction - first picture" programming and the cross shoring programming(last picture) (these are on/activ by default wether your in gt3 or base 981 steering profiles) and noticed the car has increased force to turn the wheel slightly and that it follows tar snakes even more and that turning has more resistance, giving me more confidence under holding a steering angle, the gt3 programming gave me tire load feedback by comparison, I believe. I have been testing this off and on for 2 months and can't 100% say it's not placebo the steering wheel feels just a bit to turn heavier in a good way to me to where I have just left it off for now. It should work for base steering too but I can't care enough to check since gt3 is the way.
If anyone else is willing to try it here is what they look like the the EPS settings( in changed a few more eps setting as pictured at the same time but I theorize its the momentenreduktion and Uberwachung codes making the steering changes:

Last edited by pedal bliss; 04-23-2024 at 03:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pedal bliss:
CaptainSlowly (04-23-2024), nhnguy12 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 04:05 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by pedal bliss
Hey guys,
I think I found a way to make the steering feel more different (in addition to the gt3 programming). I disabled(inactiv) the "driving physics return and torque force reduction - first picture" programming and the cross shoring programming(last picture) (these are on/activ by default wether your in gt3 or base 981 steering profiles) and noticed the car has increased force to turn the wheel slightly and that it follows tar snakes even more and that turning has more resistance, giving me more confidence under holding a steering angle, the gt3 programming gave me tire load feedback by comparison, I believe. I have been testing this off and on for 2 months and can't 100% say it's not placebo the steering wheel feels just a bit to turn heavier in a good way to me to where I have just left it off for now. It should work for base steering too but I can't care enough to check since gt3 is the way.
If anyone else is willing to try it here is what they look like the the EPS settings( in changed a few more eps setting as pictured at the same time but I theorize its the momentenreduktion and Uberwachung codes making the steering changes:
How interesting. The first setting you mentioned seems to suggest that it turns off additional filtering/assistance to the wheel. You mentioned that it follows the road curvature more as a result. Do you also feel extra texture through the wheel?

I'm prepping for a multi-day roadtrip this weekend so I won't be able to test it for myself before then.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:10 PM
bassir
AutoX

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Let me know if you find someone in the LI,NY area. I'm in the area this week and if someone has the hardware, I can bring extra software setup and help debug.

Originally Posted by pedal bliss
Hey guys,
I was curious as I don't know anything other than conjecture so I was using AI to translate the German and this is what it had to say,

Originally Posted by GPT4
Fahrphysikalischer Rücklauf: Translates to "physical driving return," possibly related to how the steering wheel returns to a neutral position. Momentenreduktion: Means "torque reduction," which likely reduces the amount of feedback force or resistance felt through the steering wheel. "By disabling the "Fahrphysikalischer Rücklauf und Momentenreduktion," you've likely increased the mechanical feedback and the physical effort required to steer the car. This can enhance the driving experience by providing a more direct and engaging feel, especially appreciated by those who prefer a sportier driving style. You will feel more of the road, and the car will be more responsive to steering inputs, although it might also follow irregularities in the road surface (like tar snakes) more readily, as you’ve noted"
Sounds promising. I would be willing to try it.

Last edited by bassir; 04-23-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:14 PM
pedal bliss
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I do not feel extra texture, the only texture it when the body is harshly vibrating form the road that the wheel starts to feel it also
Old 04-23-2024, 07:05 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Man, changing the overall tune to a different existing preset tune is one thing, randomly disabling whole parts of the system is...uh...something else. Also maybe I'm doing something wrong but "road imperfections rip the steering wheel out of my hands sometimes" doesn't seem like a positive improvement to "confidence in holding a steering angle" to me.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:55 PM
bassir
AutoX

Originally Posted by dps214
Man, changing the overall tune to a different existing preset tune is one thing, randomly disabling whole parts of the system is...uh...something else. Also maybe I'm doing something wrong but "road imperfections rip the steering wheel out of my hands sometimes" doesn't seem like a positive improvement to "confidence in holding a steering angle" to me.
I can see a car someday topographically scanning the road in front of you for imperfections and modifying the electronic steering tune in real time. But you're right -- there is probably a reason it's off by default even in all premium cars. It's one thing to "upgrade" to another trim level via bypassing software locks and it's another thing to mess w default settings common across models. Could see people turning it off for controlled drives with known road conditions.

Last edited by bassir; 04-23-2024 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: "Upgraded" Steering Feel?