Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

' 14 S Whining Noise Matches Engine RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 10:40 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cofred
I appreciate your rambles, and I totally agree. The PO drove it 500 miles/year nearly like clockwork which I can't even fathom. It's a weekend fun car for me, so I drive it at least every other weekend.

I'm wondering if it might be the alternator as well. Recently I've noticed my voltage output 14.8-15.1...it may be crazy, but is my battery just old and the alternator is just working too hard at low rpms and complaining?? Short of that, I agree, the engine cover is coming off this weekend....
how cold is it outside? Battery may draw more current to recharge in the winter
Old 03-02-2023, 12:12 PM
cofred
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maschinetheist
how cold is it outside? Battery may draw more current to recharge in the winter
I'm in the DFW area, so not very cold. I think the coldest weather I have driven it in is in the mid 40's.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:13 PM
cofred
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like our whines are different....there is no change to mine in or out of gear.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:38 PM
Tolley38
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ffre92
I haven’t paid attention to the volts, but my battery was replaced 2 months ago, so I think not related. I only hear the whine in gear, most noticeable when letting off gas.
just because your battery is only two months old doesn’t mean it’s not bad
Old 03-02-2023, 05:30 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

My new AGM battery and new alternator initially charges at 14.8 and quickly drops to 13.8. My old alternator "failed" to full charge mode of 15.1 and never dropped. Cooked the battery. I'm quick to hook up my CTEK.

Did you remove the access panel behind the seats?
Old 03-05-2023, 10:24 PM
Ffre92
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cofred
It sounds like our whines are different....there is no change to mine in or out of gear.
I have to backtrack what I said before, it does occur out of gear too, just like OP described.

Took a 4 hour trip with my wife today, stuck in traffic for a bit, and had time to pay attention to the noise and play around in and out of gear. Whine most noticeable when cold, with partial throttle in the low gears, and letting off the throttle in gear. When I mentioned to my wife she said she hears it too, first time she noticed it in 7 years!

Don’t think it’s battery related, I swapped out to new agm this year due to age, no difference before and after.

After 40k miles, same noise as when I first got it, and car still drives perfectly, don’t think it’s anything wrong, but I can see how some would find it annoying. I don’t mind it, but easy solution is to nail the throttle!

Old 05-07-2023, 12:38 PM
grip-wolrd
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you manage to solve this, or is it still happening?
I went to see a car with 25k for a potential purchase and it had a very similar while, and it kinda put me off and I've been trying to diagnose it to see if it's worrysome.

Here's a video for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lkonlOAUO5c
It's a 2015 Cayman GTS 3.4
Old 04-29-2024, 02:35 PM
FriendlyWombat
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve detected the rather peculiar noise you’re referring to, quite distressing once one becomes aware of it.

981 BS, sport mode, 1500-2200RPM. The sound is most noticeable at 2000rpm. Please let me know if you have found any clue to this matter.

Last edited by FriendlyWombat; 04-29-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:37 PM
grip-wolrd
Track Day

Originally Posted by FriendlyWombat
Please find my sound as a reference. I have sensed the same weird sound appearing as well. Sort of killing me once noticed.

981 BS, sport mode, 1500-2200RPM. The sound is most noticeable at 2000rpm. Please let me know if you have found any clue to this matter.
I ended up not buying this car, also due to the price, and the one I ended up buying didn’t have the whine.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:51 PM
FriendlyWombat
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by grip-wolrd
I ended up not buying this car, also due to the price, and the one I ended up buying didn’t have the whine.
So, I've popped down to this local motor shop, proper qualified with their Porsche license, and they've told me it's all rather normal. I changed the motor belt and related parts anyway. But the sound is still apparent.

So does your new car just not make a whirring sound like this at all?
Old 04-29-2024, 02:57 PM
FriendlyWombat
3rd Gear

So, I've popped down to this local motor shop, proper qualified with their Porsche license, and they've told me it's all rather normal. I changed the motor belt and related parts anyway. But the sound is still apparent.

I do found this thread. Might be helpful for future readers.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...-thread-2.html
Old 04-29-2024, 04:34 PM
grip-wolrd
Track Day

im sure it’s normal-ish; mine does it slightly but nowhere near as much as the one in the video.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:35 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

It’s normal. Watched many a YouTube video on these cars and everyone has it to varying degrees. I have 43k and have had the car since 30k with some whine. I will change the water pump at some point and we will see if that was the culprit.

Quick Reply: ' 14 S Whining Noise Matches Engine RPM