Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercarriage cleaning/brace removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 11:11 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Undercarriage cleaning/brace removal

As one of my winter projects, I wanted to take some time and clean up the rear underside of the car. It appears that the previous owner did a few “home” oil changes and there’s remnants of old/dirty oil and grime that I wanted to clean up.

As I will have access to a friend’s 4 post lift, I wanted to do all the clean up then, as at home I only have ramps. My question is, can I remove this large brace piece without having any adverse affect to the suspension, alignment, etc? Looks like it’s only 10 nuts or so and looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2023, 02:09 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffm
As one of my winter projects, I wanted to take some time and clean up the rear underside of the car. It appears that the previous owner did a few “home” oil changes and there’s remnants of old/dirty oil and grime that I wanted to clean up.

As I will have access to a friend’s 4 post lift, I wanted to do all the clean up then, as at home I only have ramps. My question is, can I remove this large brace piece without having any adverse affect to the suspension, alignment, etc? Looks like it’s only 10 nuts or so and looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks
The factory service manual indicates that alignment check is required if this plate is removed. The long M10X35 fastening bolts in some of those locations are single use only and need to be replaced with new when reinstalled.

WM 421419 REMOVING AND INSTALLING SUPPORT PLATE (ALL MODELS) > REMOVING SUPPORT PLATE >
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT THE SUPPORT PLATE
Information
If the support plate -2- was removed or if the threaded joint for the diagonal braces on the rear-axle side sections was loosened, suspension alignment is then required (for all Boxster/Cayman 981 models) (contrary to previous instructions) . Not required for previous models .
The following users liked this post:
Titanium5150 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 06:41 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the info, I think that settles that.
I’ll just snake my hand up and around and do it the hard way….cheers!
Old 02-20-2023, 06:58 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 124 Posts

If your car has not had an alignment, it might be a good opportunity to just take it off and get an alignment.

Quick Reply: Undercarriage cleaning/brace removal