Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needed: Lid for the fuse box, left side

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 03:22 PM
norfrode
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Needed: Lid for the fuse box, left side

The lid for my left hand side fuse box got stolen (yep ..) and I have been googling to find one but so far I only found some rather overpriced alternatives, including a hand made one in leather.
I only need the actual lid part in grey plastic, as far as I can see the original ones are only sold with the complete curved "box" or cover that holds the lid itself.

Does anyone here know where I can find either just the lid or the whole thing, to a reasonable price for this small item?
I am also open to getting a 3D print model, if that is an option.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:35 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by norfrode
The lid for my left hand side fuse box got stolen (yep ..) and I have been googling to find one but so far I only found some rather overpriced alternatives, including a hand made one in leather.
I only need the actual lid part in grey plastic, as far as I can see the original ones are only sold with the complete curved "box" or cover that holds the lid itself.

Does anyone here know where I can find either just the lid or the whole thing, to a reasonable price for this small item?
I am also open to getting a 3D print model, if that is an option.
perhaps one listed here: https://www.partssociety.com/search?q=fuse+box+cover

Old 02-17-2023, 11:15 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

or this: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1308309
Old 02-18-2023, 09:56 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

The cover is available. Item 6 in the pic.

The part number for pebble grey (I assume that's what you want) for a LHD market car is 991.555.421.02.OV4

Porsche list is $27, so you can just go to your local dealer and order it.. You can get it cheaper online (slightly), but with shipping it would not cover the discount.

Its amusing that those "used" ones linked above cost more than new.. Talk about a Porsche "tax", lol.

Last edited by saabin; 02-18-2023 at 10:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
norfrode (02-19-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 01:12 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,577 Likes on 666 Posts

Why not call your dealer? Mine gives me 10-15% off everything. Yours probably will too even if you're not a PCA member.

And you have to tell us how it was stolen. Has to be an interesting story.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:27 AM
norfrode
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,
thank you for these useful links and insights!
There seems to be one on the forum selling the right part but he has not come back to me so far.
It will be simpler to call the dealer, I agree, I was just expecting it to be more expensive - probably because I searched online first.

I was working on the car and needed to remove a few fuses and as I live in a very safe area I popped inside for a minute to pick up something. When I came back out some kids ran away, they had stolen the plastic lid that I had left on a stool beside the car. Unfortunately I did not see who they were or I could have just gone over to talk to them later, or to their parents. As it was now stolen I suspect they were afraid to return it. Never found out where it ended up, probably made their day more exciting than mine. They weren't interested in my tools or anything else. Maybe they wanted a souvenir or something, there are no other sports cars in the neighborhood.
Old 02-19-2023, 10:20 AM
Zahmed
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I had to take the lid off mine. To reduce my car insurance by some $700, I signed up for an insurance program called “Milewise” by All State Insurance. It’s a new program offered in several states where you pay car insurance by the mile driven. It’s not advertised much but you can google it. This insurance calls for a base rate of about $1.45 per day and 6-7 cents a mile.

In any case, they have to plug in a small device in the OBD port and that is located in the fuse box. The lid cannot be closed with it in the port so I am driving without any lid on the fuse box. It’s stored in my glove box.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:37 PM
Titanium5150
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Did you check rates with Hagerty and Grundy?

They are very reasonable and don't require you to plug a data logger in so they can watch your every move.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:21 PM
Zahmed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Titanium5150
Did you check rates with Hagerty and Grundy?

They are very reasonable and don't require you to plug a data logger in so they can watch your every move.
Yes, they seem to want to insure cars that are not daily driven or for more than 6k per year….Hagerty that is.

The “Milewise” program is different from the “drive wise” program. The latter tracks you to assess your driving style, follow your speeds, how and where you drive, etc. its goal is judge whether you are a safe driver eligible for a discount. The Milewise program only tracks how many miles you drive for billing purpose, doesn’t matter if you drive 100+ mph or brake sharply or go wherever you please.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:49 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zahmed
.. In any case, they have to plug in a small device in the OBD port and that is located in the fuse box. The lid cannot be closed with it in the port so I am driving without any lid on the fuse box. It’s stored in my glove box.
I have a semi-permanent OBD device plugged into mine as well (not for insurance purposes, but a data logger)

I bought this so I could put the fuse box lid back on and keep the data logger out of sight.. You might want to look into it, works great..

Full 16pin OBD II OBD2 Male to Female Extension Cable Flat Ribbon Cable with Angled connectors 30cm/1ft 16pin (amazon.com) Full 16pin OBD II OBD2 Male to Female Extension Cable Flat Ribbon Cable with Angled connectors 30cm/1ft 16pin (amazon.com)

Old 02-19-2023, 10:56 PM
Zahmed
Advanced

Where do you put the data logger? I can see where the lid can be put back but. Where do you place the data logger?
Old 02-19-2023, 11:43 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

The ribbon cable goes "up" toward the dash, so I just tuck it in behind the dash.. its easier to see/feel once you get the ribbon cable in place.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:46 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
The cover is available. Item 6 in the pic.

The part number for pebble grey (I assume that's what you want) for a LHD market car is 991.555.421.02.OV4

Porsche list is $27, so you can just go to your local dealer and order it.. You can get it cheaper online (slightly), but with shipping it would not cover the discount.

Its amusing that those "used" ones linked above cost more than new.. Talk about a Porsche "tax", lol.

Totally off topic, but a couple of years ago I came across this parts diagram and was curious about what part #7 was on the above diagram. Upon research it’s a flare holder for the Japanese market. I purchased it and a LED flare/strobe with a magnetic base and also an older door sill from a 2013 Boxster with the umbrella pocket along with the Porsche mini-umbrella.
Jimc

Last edited by Jim981CS; 02-21-2023 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Needed: Lid for the fuse box, left side