Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981s ownership questions….please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Stewstew1985
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981s ownership questions….please help

Hi guys

I am interested in purchasing a 981s Boxster as my weekend car, so it will be in the garage most of the time.

What sort of items and procedures do I need to complete for the car not to get damaged when it’s not in use. Trickle chargers etc

I COULD POTENTIALLY NOT DRIVE THE CAR FOR MONTHS.

Also are the services and running costs expensive for the car, looking for a 2013-2016 boxster 981s.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2023, 12:25 PM
916er
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will definitely need a trickle charger. It would not be good to run down the battery. Also, I would make sure it always has fresh oil when you put it away. I am sure others will have some advice
Old 01-01-2023, 01:32 PM
Stewstew1985
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 916er
You will definitely need a trickle charger. It would not be good to run down the battery. Also, I would make sure it always has fresh oil when you put it away. I am sure others will have some advice
Thanks so much
Old 01-01-2023, 03:11 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 482 Likes on 351 Posts

Battery maintainer like CTEK, not a trickle charger. The outlet in the passenger footwell is always on for 981s. Inflate the tires to MAX as recommended in the manual. Top off fuel, most add Stabil. Don't start and idle. If you have a dry 40 degree day you can go for a 20 minute drive. Leave the tires overinflated, just drive carefully. Buy a good indoor car cover for the dust. Make sure the car is clean.

2015-16 GTS are the best 981s short of a GT4. Manual vs a PDK is a personal preference. You can find S with almost all of the GTS options for less. IMO you will want an S for the 3.4 engine. The 2.7 base is not a slug,

Many good YouTubes on 981 maintenance.

Find a good Indy with a PIWIS. If you buy a manual definitely get a PPI and check for overrevs. Overrevs not an issue with PDK, but still get a PPI.

FCPEuro is a good source for parts with a Lifetime warranty. Harbor Freight for tools, not jack stands.

Porsche recommends spark plugs at 4 years because of potential seizing in the head. I go six without issues. A fairly difficult DIY and $$ at an Indy. Many change the coil packs which have to come out first. I added 911 coil pack heat shields and have had no issues with a tracked car since 2020.

I'd change the brake fluid (every 2 years, more often if tracked), serpentine belt, engine air filters, cabin filter, optional on PDK and diff fluids, definitely if you track the car. Check the pulleys when changing the serpentine belt. 981 water pumps appear to be more reliable that 986/987s.

Rotors and pads are fairly easy DIY. Buy replacement sensors (they are cheap) and replace if they are brittle. If you track tie them up out of the way with zip ties. Excess heat from tracking will melt them.

If the nose is fairly chip free consider a nose PPF plus side intake and behind the rear wheels.

Check the date code on the battery post. Five years is average. You can DIY the battery change. Resetting the up and down window stops is all you need to do. Coding should not be necessary. You don't want to learn the dead battery frunk jump. COSTCO is a good source for Interstate. They do not install.

Check tires for dry rot between the tread and on sidewall. Michelin PS4S and AS are popular. Again 5 years is average. Typically the fronts last twice as long unless you track. If you have 20s separate 18s for the winter and/or track tires

Warped door cards (not leather) and headlight delamination are common issues plus Cayman headliners.

Last edited by Kitc2246; 01-01-2023 at 03:24 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Kitc2246:
Akahny (01-03-2023), Chrismalberts (01-02-2023), Diamond Dave (01-02-2023), ElCid86 (01-04-2023), Ernest72 (01-02-2023), Ffre92 (01-01-2023), Kaybat (01-01-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-01-2023, 04:14 PM
Stewstew1985
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Battery maintainer like CTEK, not a trickle charger. The outlet in the passenger footwell is always on for 981s. Inflate the tires to MAX as recommended in the manual. Top off fuel, most add Stabil. Don't start and idle. If you have a dry 40 degree day you can go for a 20 minute drive. Leave the tires overinflated, just drive carefully. Buy a good indoor car cover for the dust. Make sure the car is clean.

2015-16 GTS are the best 981s short of a GT4. Manual vs a PDK is a personal preference. You can find S with almost all of the GTS options for less. IMO you will want an S for the 3.4 engine. The 2.7 base is not a slug,

Find a good Indy with a PIWIS. If you buy a manual definitely get a PPI and check for overrevs. Overrevs not an issue with PDK, but still get a PPI.

FCPEuro is a good source for parts with a Lifetime warranty. Harbor Freight for tools, not jack stands.

Porsche recommends spark plugs at 4 years because of potential seizing in the head. I go six without issues. A fairly difficult DIY and $$ at an Indy. Many change the coil packs which have to come out first. I added 911 coil pack heat shields and have had no issues with a tracked car since 2020.

I'd change the brake fluid (every 2 years, more often if tracked), serpentine belt, engine air filters, cabin filter, optional on PDK and diff fluids, definitely if you track the car. Check the pulleys when changing the serpentine belt. 981 water pumps appear to be more reliable that 986/987s.

Rotors and pads are fairly easy DIY. Buy replacement sensors (they are cheap) and replace if they are brittle. If you track tie them up out of the way with zip ties. Excess heat from tracking will melt them.

If the nose is fairly chip free consider a nose PPF plus side intake and behind the rear wheels.

Check the date code on the battery post. Five years is average. You can DIY the battery change. Resetting the up and down window stops is all you need to do. Coding should not be necessary. You don't want to learn the dead battery frunk jump. COSTCO is a good source for Interstate. They do not install.

Check tires for dry rot between the tread and on sidewall. Michelin PS4S and AS are popular. Again 5 years is average. Typically the fronts last twice as long unless you track. If you have 20s separate 18s for the winter and/or track tires

Warped door cards (not leather) and headlight delamination are common issues plus Cayman headliners.
Wow that’s fantastic. Thanks so much
Old 01-01-2023, 07:52 PM
Ffre92
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246

well there u have it. Can’t get more comprehensive than this!

I have a 981 gts and would agree with everything said. I use mine as a daily driver, and it’s been really reliable, just crossed 40k miles. Only repairs have been rattles and squeaks and stick shift cap that got loose, all fixed under cpo early on. However, if ur car is infrequently driven u may have more issues. I have 3 other cars that are much less frequently driven, all have much more maintenance costs!

only thing I can add is if car is going to be stored for months, be really vigilant with mouse control in the garage. They love to snuggle up in stored cars

Old 01-01-2023, 08:00 PM
Docbentley
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was not likely to drive a car for “months”, I would not purchase one. Rent a car when needed or use a limo service.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:11 PM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewstew1985
Hi guys

I am interested in purchasing a 981s Boxster as my weekend car, so it will be in the garage most of the time.

What sort of items and procedures do I need to complete for the car not to get damaged when it’s not in use. Trickle chargers etc

I COULD POTENTIALLY NOT DRIVE THE CAR FOR MONTHS.

Also are the services and running costs expensive for the car, looking for a 2013-2016 boxster 981s.
Thanks
I store my '14 981S Cayman from November thru April each year, I agree with a CTEK unit, I purchased the MXS 5.0 CTEK MXS 5.0 – smartercharger.com I Have 20" RIMs so I purchased some 14" Wide Flatstoppers to keep those low-profile tires nice and round, yes,I know others disagree.... 14" W FlatStoppers Car Storage Ramps - 4 Pack Next, I'd watch this video for pointers on fuels before storing
. How about a good Fault Scan Tool, an AUTEL MAXI AP200 MaxiAP AP200 - Autel Be aware of Door Panel Warping issue, sent mine to Pedro's Garage In Florida.
The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 05:59 PM
Stewstew1985
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SRNH01
I store my '14 981S Cayman from November thru April each year, I agree with a CTEK unit, I purchased the MXS 5.0 CTEK MXS 5.0 – smartercharger.com I Have 20" RIMs so I purchased some 14" Wide Flatstoppers to keep those low-profile tires nice and round, yes,I know others disagree.... 14" W FlatStoppers Car Storage Ramps - 4 Pack Next, I'd watch this video for pointers on fuels before storing What you need to know about fuel and additives for your Porsche | Tech Tactics Live - YouTube . How about a good Fault Scan Tool, an AUTEL MAXI AP200 MaxiAP AP200 - Autel Be aware of Door Panel Warping issue, sent mine to Pedro's Garage In Florida.
Thanks so much you guys are great

Quick Reply: 981s ownership questions….please help