Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCM Location on 2014 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 07:20 PM
MacMan
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default BCM Location on 2014 Cayman S

Does anyone KNOW where the BCM is located? Engine ECM is in the rear trunk on the bulkhead. PDK module is in the left of the rear trunk. Parking Brake module is on the right in the trunk. Only thing under the left seat is the left seat module and the airbag module. Seems like none of my “experienced” Porsche guys knows.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:29 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by MacMan
Does anyone KNOW where the BCM is located? Engine ECM is in the rear trunk on the bulkhead. PDK module is in the left of the rear trunk. Parking Brake module is on the right in the trunk. Only thing under the left seat is the left seat module and the airbag module. Seems like none of my “experienced” Porsche guys knows.
Front BCM is at the left hand side of the dashboard. Rear BCM is under the driver's seat.
The following 2 users liked this post by thecajunboy:
Jim981CS (11-04-2022), MacMan (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 08:37 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Front BCM is at the left hand side of the dashboard. Rear BCM is under the driver's seat.
^^This. On the below diagram #1 is front and #5 under driver seat is rear.
Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by Jim981CS:
dadster (06-28-2024), MacMan (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 08:49 PM
MacMan
AutoX

I forgot how helpful forums are. Thank you guys so much.

What’s the best way to get it out? Please don’t say, “Pull the dash!”
Old 11-04-2022, 11:37 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

I forgot how helpful forums are. Thank you guys so much.

What’s the best way to get it out? Please don’t say, “Pull the dash!”
Service manual indicates that it is behind the driver side trim panel (this is where the OBDII port is). Don't yank that cover off first. You'll break a tab like I did. Lucky I found a used replacement at a good price. I'll post some info tomorrow. You have Porsche folks working on this? A PIWIS tester is needed if you need to change it out.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:49 AM
MacMan
AutoX

Service manual indicates that it is behind the driver side trim panel (this is where the OBDII port is). Don't yank that cover off first. You'll break a tab like I did. Lucky I found a used replacement at a good price. I'll post some info tomorrow. You have Porsche folks working on this? A PIWIS tester is needed if you need to change it out.
First off....I can’t express the level of gratitude I have for you right now. So a simple thank you will have to do.

So I just bought this car a couple weeks ago. It’s immaculate. 60k on the odometer and it looks like it’s on the showroom floor with 0 miles. The issue I have is I only have one key. And my over-prepared self can not accept that. I did some research and found that used keys are pretty much a lost cause. They can be wiped and reused but trying to find someone with that capability is impossible. I spoke with the dealer about getting keys and they wanted $500 per key plus a couple hundred to cut/program. And they said that unless they ordered the keys, they would most likely not be able to program them. At the time, I thought I’d take that chance. Thinking maybe they hadn’t tried with virgin, OEM keys. Not to mention they’re on backorder with an ETA of around August of 2023. So I ordered a couple brand new, virgin, OEM keys off of eBay. $200/ea. But when they arrived there was a sticker on them stating that the dealer would not program them and programming would need to be done by a locksmith. Apparently when the dealer orders them from Porsche, Porsche puts the VIN specific files on the key, ships them to the dealer and the dealer can then program the keys via PIWIS. Without those files on the key, even dealer level security via PIWIS won’t work. I live in the DFW area and it took me 2 days to find the one
guy within 500 miles that has the capability to program them. But he said it can not be done via OBD2. He needs the BCM2 so he can copy three files and put them on the keys. Then he can program the module to accept the keys. So I’m pulling the module to bring to him along with the keys. He said if I pull the module he’d do both keys for $300. Seems fair. I do have access to a PIWIS but not to the security login required for key programming.

I had a few margaritas and found the motivation to go digging. I found it! I pulled the fuse block out of the way(it’s directly above the fuse block) but it’s crammed in there pretty good. It appears there’s one plastic nut holding the mounting bracket down but it’s awkward and also hold the gateway module. Not quite sure how to get it out.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:59 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

First off....I can’t express the level of gratitude I have for you right now. So a simple thank you will have to do.

So I just bought this car a couple weeks ago. It’s immaculate. 60k on the odometer and it looks like it’s on the showroom floor with 0 miles. The issue I have is I only have one key. And my over-prepared self can not accept that. I did some research and found that used keys are pretty much a lost cause. They can be wiped and reused but trying to find someone with that capability is impossible. I spoke with the dealer about getting keys and they wanted $500 per key plus a couple hundred to cut/program. And they said that unless they ordered the keys, they would most likely not be able to program them. At the time, I thought I’d take that chance. Thinking maybe they hadn’t tried with virgin, OEM keys. Not to mention they’re on backorder with an ETA of around August of 2023. So I ordered a couple brand new, virgin, OEM keys off of eBay. $200/ea. But when they arrived there was a sticker on them stating that the dealer would not program them and programming would need to be done by a locksmith. Apparently when the dealer orders them from Porsche, Porsche puts the VIN specific files on the key, ships them to the dealer and the dealer can then program the keys via PIWIS. Without those files on the key, even dealer level security via PIWIS won’t work. I live in the DFW area and it took me 2 days to find the one
guy within 500 miles that has the capability to program them. But he said it can not be done via OBD2. He needs the BCM2 so he can copy three files and put them on the keys. Then he can program the module to accept the keys. So I’m pulling the module to bring to him along with the keys. He said if I pull the module he’d do both keys for $300. Seems fair. I do have access to a PIWIS but not to the security login required for key programming.

I had a few margaritas and found the motivation to go digging. I found it! I pulled the fuse block out of the way(it’s directly above the fuse block) but it’s crammed in there pretty good. It appears there’s one plastic nut holding the mounting bracket down but it’s awkward and also hold the gateway module. Not quite sure how to get it out.
See post #9 HERE. Click that link in there for a download. Page 353 of the downloaded file is where you can find more info on how to get the front BCM out.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:59 AM
MacMan
AutoX

See post #9 HERE. Click that link in there for a download. Page 353 of the downloaded file is where you can find more info on how to get the front BCM out.
You sir are the reason that the phrase “Not all heros wear capes” was coined. Seriously, you are the man. Thank you so much.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:04 PM
MacMan
AutoX

Old 11-05-2022, 04:34 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

You sir are the reason that the phrase “Not all heros wear capes” was coined. Seriously, you are the man. Thank you so much.
Nah. I'm just an intermediary. Circleback and let us know if it all works out.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:06 PM
MacMan
AutoX

Nah. I'm just an intermediary. Circleback and let us know if it all works out.

OK. So not that anyone actually cares, but here’s the update.

After studying the service manual, it really wasn’t that bad to get out. I sent that last pic to the locksmith that said he could program the keys/BCM for $300 if I brought him the module. No response. Wouldn’t answer his phone either. Completely ghosted me. I’ll never understand people. So I decided to search for a service online. I found an eBay listing from a place in Escondido California that performed the same service. And it was $300. I shipped them my original key along with the two new ones and the BCM. I sent it NDA via UPS on Monday and they received it on Tuesday. They had it done and back to me by Thursday. And since I supplied the keys(their listing included a new key) they cut/programmed the second key at no additional charge. The place is High Tech Auto. Super friendly guy and GREAT customer service. Took me about 30min to get everything back together and everything worked perfect. I would highly recommend these guys if you find yourself needing a new key.

Next I spent the evening installing my remote start. I’m SUPER happy with the results. If anyone is interested I’ll put up some pics and a video or two of the unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by MacMan:
Jim981CS (11-12-2022), thecajunboy (11-13-2022)
Old 05-11-2024, 10:28 AM
gibbo100
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After studying the service manual, it really wasn’t that bad to get out. I sent that last pic to the locksmith that said he could program the keys/BCM for $300 if I brought him the module. No response. Wouldn’t answer his phone either. Completely ghosted me. I’ll never understand people. So I decided to search for a service online. I found an eBay listing from a place in Escondido California that performed the same service. And it was $300. I shipped them my original key along with the two new ones and the BCM. I sent it NDA via UPS on Monday and they received it on Tuesday. They had it done and back to me by Thursday. And since I supplied the keys(their listing included a new key) they cut/programmed the second key at no additional charge. The place is High Tech Auto. Super friendly guy and GREAT customer service. Took me about 30min to get everything back together and everything worked perfect. I would highly recommend these guys if you find yourself needing a new key.

Next I spent the evening installing my remote start. I’m SUPER happy with the results. If anyone is interested I’ll put up some pics and a video or two of the unit.
Hi.
I have the same problem, and have found someone who will do the same for me, if i remove the BCM module. Im reasonably confident that i can do it, but i can't even seem to see it?!! I am in the UK and have a right hand drive 981 base model (2014) . Ive removed the panel under the passenger foot well, but i can't see it? Am i looking in the right place?
Old 05-11-2024, 10:35 AM
gibbo100
Cruisin'

HI.
I have the same problem, and have found someone who will do the same if i bring him the front BCM module. I live in the UK, and have a right hand drive 981 base (2014) I have removed the panel under the passenger footwell. (the one which would be above the passengers feet. (right hand drive) but i can't see it??!! Am i looking in the right place??
Old 05-13-2024, 10:08 AM
MacMan
AutoX

Originally Posted by gibbo100
HI.
I have the same problem, and have found someone who will do the same if i bring him the front BCM module. I live in the UK, and have a right hand drive 981 base (2014) I have removed the panel under the passenger footwell. (the one which would be above the passengers feet. (right hand drive) but i can't see it??!! Am i looking in the right place??
Assuming everything is the same as a Left Hand Drive, S model, then it will be on the left side, way up under the dash. It will be on the side though. Not on the bulkhead. The Left Hand Drives have an airbag under the dash that needs to be removed. The BCM is tough to see. There’s a relay pack that sits on top of it. There is not hardware holding either in. There are tabs that have to be pushed that will release the brackets.
Old 06-23-2024, 05:37 AM
gibbo100
Cruisin'

Hi.
Ive found it under the drivers footwell (right hand drive) , and im going to try and remove it today. I can not find any videos, or good photos of the removal procedure?. I have downloaded the file with the manual, which will be helpful.

Quick Reply: BCM Location on 2014 Cayman S