Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? Considering spending just under $80k for a 2016 Cayman GTS.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 01:34 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
I agree. The GT4s are everywhere it seems. There is a white one sitting right up the road from me on a dealer lot for sale, and tons of them on the site I linked and elsewhere. Its just a matter of how much one is willing to pay, but you can easily have one in a week. Very different than when they first came out in 2016.
There were over 2100 GT4s made in 2016 while only 1200 total GTS models in 2015/2016 total - rounding out the numbers and based on total builds on Vinanalytics. So technically less GTS out there than GT4s. With that said GT4 are more valuable and seem to be holding their value a lot better - in context my GTS was MSRP at 92k while GT4s were going MSRP in the 98k range brand new. If you were a new buyer then, which one would you wished you bought?

You probably seeing more GT4s for sale now cause owners want to capitalize on the Porsche 'inflation' pricing that is going on. If you were an original buyer of a 1st gen GT4, you could basically sell it for what you paid for - meaning you been driving that car for free for 6 years. Amazing.
The following users liked this post:
ICNU (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:34 PM
Cliff3
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wardrive
There were over 2100 GT4s made in 2016 while only 1200 total GTS models in 2015/2016 total - rounding out the numbers and based on total builds on Vinanalytics. So technically less GTS out there than GT4s. With that said GT4 are more valuable and seem to be holding their value a lot better - in context my GTS was MSRP at 92k while GT4s were going MSRP in the 98k range brand new. If you were a new buyer then, which one would you wished you bought?

You probably seeing more GT4s for sale now cause owners want to capitalize on the Porsche 'inflation' pricing that is going on. If you were an original buyer of a 1st gen GT4, you could basically sell it for what you paid for - meaning you been driving that car for free for 6 years. Amazing.
Odds are, the first purchaser of a 2016 GT4 paid more than MSRP. A friend of mine in Southern California had a written agreement with a Los Angeles area dealer to buy a 981 GT4 at MSRP. The dealer unsuccessfully tried to back out of that agreement, but fortunately he had it in writing. I was chatting with a C8 driver over breakfast a few months ago who had been thinking about buying a 718 GT4 before opting for the Corvette, but the best deal he was able to find was $30k over MSRP.

My timing was fortunate and I was able to find my high-ish mileage GTS in the fall of 2020 for a mid-$50's price. I'm sure it would be priced much higher in today's market.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:57 PM
987 981 982 ?
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 981 generation GTS was a “traditional” Porsche end of cycle value package on the S platform, unlike what Porsche is doing with its current lineups, minus the 992 (
). What I do like about the 981 GTS is that it unlocked cool options like PCCB’s and Carbon Buckets. I’d pay $80k for that level of spec.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:18 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 987 981 982 ?
The 981 generation GTS was a “traditional” Porsche end of cycle value package on the S platform, unlike what Porsche is doing with its current lineups, minus the 992 (https://youtu.be/QMeSqs9eJR0). What I do like about the 981 GTS is that it unlocked cool options like PCCB’s and Carbon Buckets. I’d pay $80k for that level of spec.
I wouldn't put that much value in Nick's take on GTS packages. He seems to be off the radar doing videos now that he sold his 'lemon' 991 and seems to be focused on other things. I saw the video when it first came out and felt he was being cynical with Porsche in general.

If the point is that the 981 GTS was a end of cycle value package on the 981, I can buy it. But due to the fact that there where limited 981 CS or BS fully optioned like most GTS models, I think that is where the 981 GTS is finding its shine, that and the decision for Porsche to go to the flat-4 in the 718 that followed. 981 GTS are heavy optioned Cayman or Boxster S with special features like the front fascia, tinted front and rear lights and the added bump in HP. Those touches really makes the 981 GTS special.

As for the GTS model line in general, I think Porsche is now taking it new level for their models. For the Macan the GTS is the top dog. In the new 992 it seems the GTS line in itself is not taking a slot of being a maxed out 'Carrera S' but now in its own right a very GT-like 911. The 992 GT3 became so more raw and race focused, it seems the GTS (with lightweight package) now can be seen as a GT3 light.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:00 PM
tomekz
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 110 Posts

Maybe the little touches do make the GTS a little bit more special, but the number$ just don't make much sense. I know that there aren't many S model spec'ed that high up, but I paid almost $30k less for the S model and 23k miles on the car. For the money I saved, I can buy the front bumper and still have $25,000 in the bank. I am not really missing anything on my S model that the GTS has but still have $30k to play with. However, if the money is not a problem, the GTS is the better car.

Those touches really makes the 981 GTS special.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:35 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomekz
Maybe the little touches do make the GTS a little bit more special, but the number$ just don't make much sense. I know that there aren't many S model spec'ed that high up, but I paid almost $30k less for the S model and 23k miles on the car. For the money I saved, I can buy the front bumper and still have $25,000 in the bank. I am not really missing anything on my S model that the GTS has but still have $30k to play with. However, if the money is not a problem, the GTS is the better car.
What you say does make a lot of sense. But its not just the front bumper but the tinted headlights, taillights, rear diffuser and the added hp. End of the day money in your hand I do get but its not really just a 5k delta to make the S and spent out of pocket to to make it a GTS. Its everything else plus the labor if you had a shop install.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:49 PM
tomekz
Racer

The headlights and taillights can be replaced in less than 15 minutes, same as the rear diffuser. A tune will get you the extra 15hp missing. Short of the minor things mentioned and alcantara (which I don't really want anyway) my S comes with everything and more than a GTS. Though not fair comparison as, as mentioned before there aren't many S spec'ed that high.

Price: $96,895.00
Exterior: GT Silver Metallic
Interior: Leather interior in Carrera Red natural leather
220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
423 20-inch Carrera S wheels
456 Adaptive Cruise Control including Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
475 Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
498 Deletion of Model Designation
583 Smoking package
603 Bi-Xenon
636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
640 Sport Chrono Package (i.c.w. PCM)
671 Voice Control
748 Electrically folding side mirrors
840 SportDesign steering wheel
981130 Cayman S
998 Natural Leather
NG Leather interior in Carrera Red natural leather
P04 Sport Seats Plus
P13 Auto dimming mirros with integrated rain sensor
P9A Convenience Package
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE
U2 GT Silver Metallic
XDH Wheels painted in Platinum (semi-gloss)
XFJ Instrument Dials Colored White
XLF Sport Exhaust System

What you say does make a lot of sense. But its not just the front bumper but the tinted headlights, taillights, rear diffuser and the added hp. End of the day money in your hand I do get but its not really just a 5k delta to make the S and spent out of pocket to to make it a GTS. Its everything else plus the labor if you had a shop install.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:07 PM
Nokones
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

And let's not overlook the fact that the GTS has more horsepower than the "S".
tomekz (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 10:36 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by _nomu_
Prices on these cars are nuts. The car in question has 21k miles, 4 previous owners (the first owner had it as a corporate car), clean Carfax, what looks like regular maintenance records.

Good options, low miles, very clean exterior and interior. But $80k for a 6 year old car is making me pause a bit. I thought I'd come here and just get a sanity check.

This would be my first Porsche. What do the people of Rennlist think about this prospect?
certainly more than I would pay.
"But $80k for a 6 year old car:
Don't base your decision on the above.
See what an 04 GT3 is selling for.....................
Old 07-10-2022, 10:39 PM
tomekz
Racer

Are you really going to feel the 15HP? And have the pleasure of paying $30k more for it.

Originally Posted by Nokones
And let's not overlook the fact that the GTS has more horsepower than the "S".
Old 07-11-2022, 08:07 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 109 Posts

Are you really going to feel the 15HP? And have the pleasure of paying $30k more for it.
I agree with this but also believe you got an amazing deal on your car which would be extremely rare in todays market. I for one have a similar spec to yours would never even think about selling it for anywhere near 50 or 60.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:21 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

The headlights and taillights can be replaced in less than 15 minutes, same as the rear diffuser. A tune will get you the extra 15hp missing. Short of the minor things mentioned and alcantara (which I don't really want anyway) my S comes with everything and more than a GTS. Though not fair comparison as, as mentioned before there aren't many S spec'ed that high.
Let's not be callous on the extras. I agree its easy 101 for headlight and taillight removal but you still got to buy them (not cheap - 1x headlight for GTS is 1200.00). And for the tune you should go to a professional unless you want to buy the software and DIY (which some people probably don't feel comfortable doing). As for the diffuser, thats a bit harder to change especially if you got parking sensors (GTS comes with them inside). Easy for you to say forget the Alcantara, a lot of people want it.

Again, I hear your argument that you find a great spec'ed S and saved money by not paying more for the GTS but a) its not that huge of a delta you're making it to be especially when you include buying the parts and labor (unless you are that mechanically inclined to do all DIY to save some money on labor) and b) seems you got a great deal on a 96k MSRP for 50k. Not everyone is going to be able to find a spec'ed S like that and for that price.
tomekz (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 04:11 PM
987 981 982 ?
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't put that much value in Nick's take on GTS packages. He seems to be off the radar doing videos now that he sold his 'lemon' 991 and seems to be focused on other things. I saw the video when it first came out and felt he was being cynical with Porsche in general.

If the point is that the 981 GTS was a end of cycle value package on the 981, I can buy it. But due to the fact that there where limited 981 CS or BS fully optioned like most GTS models, I think that is where the 981 GTS is finding its shine, that and the decision for Porsche to go to the flat-4 in the 718 that followed. 981 GTS are heavy optioned Cayman or Boxster S with special features like the front fascia, tinted front and rear lights and the added bump in HP. Those touches really makes the 981 GTS special.

As for the GTS model line in general, I think Porsche is now taking it new level for their models. For the Macan the GTS is the top dog. In the new 992 it seems the GTS line in itself is not taking a slot of being a maxed out 'Carrera S' but now in its own right a very GT-like 911. The 992 GT3 became so more raw and race focused, it seems the GTS (with lightweight package) now can be seen as a GT3 light.
I do like Nick’s videos though. He operates in this kind of grey area between paid journalists and Instagram generation YouTubers. The guy cracks me up.

No doubt the 981 GTS is special. And I agree it has a lot to do with the included meaningful / performance oriented options vs the hodgepodge of cars out there with various option combinations that sometimes don’t make sense, at least to me. For instance I would take a limited slip over red seatbelts.

So between you, me, and tomekz, I think we all agree it really has everything to do with how these cars are spec’d from the mfr. You’re right, a “stripper” model 981 GTS like the car OP is talking about is like a high optioned S with other cool GTS-only touches, including the power bump. But I’d also hold tomekz’s car in similar regard if I were shopping because of the rare combination of options. But the market may not, hence the $$$ amounts tied to 981 GTS listing/sales.

I myself have an end of cycle / mktg grab ‘16 Cayman Black Edition. But it’s my ideal spec: public road friendly 2.7L, 6MT, PTV, X73, PSE, Sports Seats Plus, along with the packaged cosmetic & creature comfort options the Mktg folks deemed Black Edition (20” Carrera Classics, upgraded sound & PCM with NAV, PDLS, etc). Kind of like a 6 cyl T.

Only point I do not agree with you, however, is the 992 GTS being a GT3 lite. The GT3 is what it is mainly because of that NA 9K RPM engine that can be tied to a 6MT. Killer combination.

Price: $96,895.00
Exterior: GT Silver Metallic
Interior: Leather interior in Carrera Red natural leather
220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
423 20-inch Carrera S wheels
456 Adaptive Cruise Control including Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
475 Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
498 Deletion of Model Designation
583 Smoking package
603 Bi-Xenon
636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
640 Sport Chrono Package (i.c.w. PCM)
671 Voice Control
748 Electrically folding side mirrors
840 SportDesign steering wheel
981130 Cayman S
998 Natural Leather
NG Leather interior in Carrera Red natural leather
P04 Sport Seats Plus
P13 Auto dimming mirros with integrated rain sensor
P9A Convenience Package
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE
U2 GT Silver Metallic
XDH Wheels painted in Platinum (semi-gloss)
XFJ Instrument Dials Colored White
XLF Sport Exhaust System
Old 07-11-2022, 06:41 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

So between you, me, and tomekz, I think we all agree it really has everything to do with how these cars are spec’d from the mfr. You’re right, a “stripper” model 981 GTS like the car OP is talking about is like a high optioned S with other cool GTS-only touches, including the power bump. But I’d also hold tomekz’s car in similar regard if I were shopping because of the rare combination of options. But the market may not, hence the $$$ amounts tied to 981 GTS listing/sales.
100% agree. End of the day GTS will be in a higher resale bracket compared to a S model - even if the S has fully load options that equals a GTS.

Only point I do not agree with you, however, is the 992 GTS being a GT3 lite. The GT3 is what it is mainly because of that NA 9K RPM engine that can be tied to a 6MT. Killer combination.
That is a good point, the engine will never be the same but I do bring up the 992 GTS being sold as a GT3 lite because they are now offering options that are GT3 originated and that was never available before - talking about the lightweight package with LWB seats with rear seat delete, lighter glass, rear steering, etc. Sort of what was the original purpose for the 991.2 Carrera T.

If the 991.2 Carrera T was marketed as the cheaper and more available way to get something like an GT3, then I feel the 992 GTS with those options are sort of being marketed the same way.

Lastly the early reviews on the 992 GTS with those options give that impression as well.

Last edited by wardrive; 07-11-2022 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:55 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 533 Posts

I think it's a bit unrealistic to say "why buy a GTS when you can buy a super high MSRP "S" like I did". The fact is, while they exist there just isn't many of them. Now add in well sorted, no Carfax dings, service records, or lowish miles and there becomes less and less. I almost bought an S just like above for a decent price but the seller reneged. At that point I said screw it, to get what I want I might as well buy the GTS. At least that way you get the necessities like sport exhaust plus they are much more likely to come optioned with higher end things like PTV and 18 way seats etc. The high MSRP S is the exception not the rule.

When I was looking for a 981 I had several must haves. I wanted to stick to a budget and was looking strictly at S cars both Boxsters and Caymans. Almost always they were missing 1 must have option. I finally found one for sale that had all of them and the seller decided to keep the car. Deflating. So I made the logical choice, I bought a $97k MSRP GTS for a great price from a private owner and never looked back.

Your results may vary.
The following 3 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
9731O (07-13-2022), pterwilliger (08-04-2022), tomekz (07-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Considering spending just under $80k for a 2016 Cayman GTS.