Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door button unlocks frunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 11:05 AM
sophocles
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door button unlocks frunk

Hi!
in the last few days, when i press the door release on my key, the frunk unlocks itself (along with the doors). nothing else weird going on. annoying, but livable. any ideas?
Old 05-25-2022, 12:01 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 348 Posts

Unless you've just done so, it would be a good idea to put a new battery in the key fob. Low batteries cause weird symptoms.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:39 PM
sophocles
8th Gear

that was a good idea. but it wasnt the answer - both keys, fresh batteries.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:21 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

Dumb question: Is it possible that the buttons/frame of the key are broken or damaged or something, so when you press the lock button, it's also pressing the trunk button via something catching on the inside?
Old 05-25-2022, 06:28 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 671 Posts

First thing I’d do is check to see if the same thing occurs with your other remote. If not, it’s obviously a faulty remote. Also, there is a setting for what is supposed to happen when you press the unlock button on the remote. You can set the car to just unlock the driver’s door or unlock both doors. Neither setting shouldn’t make the trunk pop, but just for the heck of it, I’d try setting it to just unlock the driver’s door. Somehow, the receiver for the trunk release is being triggered by the signal your remote is sending. So the problem is either in the signal being sent by the remote or by the receiver (I guess that’s obvious). You just need to figure out which it is.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:57 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 481 Likes on 350 Posts

OP said both keys so something in the receiver. As suggested I would cycle the "All doors" vs "Driver's door" in the PCM Locking settings. How old is the car battery? Weird things happen when the car battery starts to fail. I've never had any luck doing this for electrical issues, but disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery might give you a reset. Really strange, let us know the resolution.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:46 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 671 Posts

I had a very similar problem on a BMW about 15 years ago. I don't know if the Porsche system is analogous. But on the BMW, there is a controller/receiver unit (a black box) that has several relays plugged into it. Each relay is supposed to send current to and trigger a particular door. One of the relays went bad and would trigger multiple doors. I replaced the relay and fixed the problem. I'd imagine that the Porsche system operates similarly. But I don't know if there is a standalone controller unit for the door/lids in the Porsche like there was in my BMW or if it's all controlled by the main CPU.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:24 PM
sophocles
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Schwinn
Dumb question: Is it possible that the buttons/frame of the key are broken or damaged or something, so when you press the lock button, it's also pressing the trunk button via something catching on the inside?
Nope, both keys, with fresh batteries, and neither key has been abused.(the spare key is essentially new).
Old 05-30-2022, 07:26 PM
sophocles
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
OP said both keys so something in the receiver. As suggested I would cycle the "All doors" vs "Driver's door" in the PCM Locking settings.
will try that.
How old is the car battery?
one year. car is always on a float charger.
Weird things happen when the car battery starts to fail. I've never had any luck doing this for electrical issues, but disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery might give you a reset. Really strange, let us know the resolution.
Will do!

Old 05-30-2022, 07:27 PM
sophocles
8th Gear

interesting thoughts.. of course, once upon a time everything was done with relays. now, i imagine it's a signal on a bus.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:21 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 358 Posts

Your Car Battery is probably getting weak. It will pop the Frunk if the Voltage spikes low, which it's doing when you unlock the car door.

How old is the Car Battery? When my battery was 6+ years old, yet still seemed in good condition, it started to pop the Frunk when opening the door as you describe.

I installed a new battery and the issue went away.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 05-30-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:56 PM
sophocles
8th Gear

Sadly, it's not the car battery. the battery is 1 year old, and is charged enough that the auto start/stop at traffic lights is still functioning. i also cycled the settings on door lock/unlock, and that did not help.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:06 AM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 358 Posts

I still think it might be your battery. My battery acted in good condition too, yet would recover very slowly after a start and if I did not drive at least 30 minutes it would pop the frunk when unlocking the doors the next day.

Just because a battery is young, does not mean it is not damaged, and providing voltage drops

​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (06-02-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 12:15 AM
sophocles
8th Gear

of course, i cannot disprove what you are saying.
as mentioned, the battery is less than a year old - the previous one lasted me nearly 8 years.
i had had a 2+hour drive the previous time out, and i gauged that the battery was in decent shape because the Auto StopStart was active - and most of the time, with my relatively short (30 minute) trips, *** never gets triggered.
next chance i get, i will ask the shop who changed the battery to check its health, and will use that as a guide.
appreciate your suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
fueledbymetal (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 08:50 PM
sophocles
8th Gear

disabled my smarttop today, no change to the frunk lock behavior. no other news...

Quick Reply: door button unlocks frunk