Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman will start but car not “on”

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 04:08 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman will start but car not “on”

Just had my car washed/detailed and now the gauge cluster, air-conditioning control and center console buttons are not working.

the car will start and drive but no speed/tach/right screen etc. what is weird is i hit the milage reset button and the milage reading works and cayman logo shows up on right screen. Also i can turn the PCM on and the radio works but it says “operation only available for short time with engine off”
or whatever it says. And then after a short amount of time the digital instruments and the PCM will shut off again. Like when you shut the car off and sit in it a while

Needless to say it seems things are getting power but are not recognizing the car us on or in accessory mode. It thinks the car is off basically. Anybody have any ideas?

only other weird thing is the parking brake light and “brake” light on instruments seem to cycle on/off or flicker occasionally dont stay lit up.

i think water got somewhere and is causing a short maybe? All fuses check good and the car starts real easy so i think the battery is good.

thanks

Last edited by Yogi911; 04-28-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:50 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 355 Posts

Just a guess but I would suspect that it is the battery going south and that it happened coincidentally while your car was being detailed. Cold to warm weather in the spring and warm to cold in the fall often tips a weak battery "over the edge."
Old 04-29-2022, 08:25 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 424 Likes on 253 Posts

Agreed. Leaving the doors open on these cars, which is not uncommon when detailing will drain the battery very quickly, especially if it has any age on it. I've done this myself once by leaving the doors open for a couple hours while working on the car in my garage. All sorts of weird things and dash messages that have nothing to do with the actual issue will start to happen once the battery is too low

Last edited by ICNU; 04-29-2022 at 08:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Cayman will start but car not “on”