Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr Colorchip vs other brands

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 11:00 AM
skyrdredb
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dr Colorchip vs other brands

Anyone have direct experience using Dr Colorchip vs. other brands of touch up such as Chipex, TouchUp Rx, or ColorNdrive, etc? I have done a search and found comments on each brand individually but no direct comparison between one brand vs. another. Also is one better than another for chips vs. scratches? Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:50 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

I've used both Dr Colorship and PaintScratch products and found that both provide approximately a 10/5 outcome (Looks okay from 10 feet away going by at 5 MPH) but not much better than that. Follow the instructions exactly. Both companies matched the colors I've needed pretty well but perfectly matching paint that has been in the weather a lot isn't always possible. Follow the instructions exactly. The smaller the imperfection, the better the outcome. Follow the instructions exactly. Round chips are easiest, scratches can be a pain with less pleasing results. Follow the instructions exactly. Metallic paints, particularly those with high metal flake content (Like Porsche's rhodium silver) can be a pain if you can't get the touch up flakes to lie in the same direction as the flakes in the factory paint. Oh, did I say to follow the instructions exactly?
Old 04-26-2022, 09:57 AM
skyrdredb
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terry,
thanks for the response. With your "10/5" outcome would you say the car looked better after using the product than it did before?
Old 04-26-2022, 10:36 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by skyrdredb
Terry,
thanks for the response. With your "10/5" outcome would you say the car looked better after using the product than it did before?
I thought that both looked better than the unpainted chip(s) but for me at least, it was far from perfect. Maybe it was because I know where the flaws were and my eyes just went to them after they were repaired.

I liked the PaintScratch product better because it is a two stage process that involves filling the chip with color, polishing it down, coming back with a real clear coat and polishing it down even with the original paint clear coat.

PaintScratch is more tedious than Dr Colorship, but the problem I had with DrColorchip was that after it dried, it sometimes left a small depression in the paint...You have to be sure that you "fill" the chip with paint up to the level of the original paint. If you don't, then every time you wax the car you'll get white residue deposited on the "edge" of the depression. This is particularly bothersome with dark colors.

If you decide to give it a try, pick a couple of less obvious chips and "practice" on them before going to the larger, more obvious ones. Oh, the good thing is that both products provide enough "thinner" to remove any errors you make and start over.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2024, 01:58 AM
AngusDetailing
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TouchUp RX is better

TouchUp RX is better than Dr. ColorChip for a few reasons: The paint fills the chips better and it doesn't dry out in the bottle after 6 months. It also has a better shine when fully cured.

[QUOTE=TMc993;18109145]I thought that both looked better than the unpainted chip(s) but for me at least, it was far from perfect. Maybe it was because I know where the flaws were and my eyes just went to them after they were repaired.

I liked the PaintScratch product better because it is a two stage process that involves filling the chip with color, polishing it down, coming back with a real clear coat and polishing it down even with the original paint clear coat.

PaintScratch is more tedious than Dr Colorship, but the problem I had with DrColorchip was that after it dried, it sometimes left a small depression in the paint...You have to be sure that you "fill" the chip with paint up to the level of the original paint. If you don't, then every time you wax the car you'll get white residue deposited on the "edge" of the depression. This is particularly bothersome with dark colors.

If you decide to give it a try, pick a couple of less obvious chips and "practice" on them before going to the larger, more obvious ones. Oh, the good thing is that both products provide enough "thinner" to remove any errors you make and start over.
The following users liked this post:
Kaybat (06-30-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:35 PM
robotvoice
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been using paint from Automotive Touchup for years and the color match has always been pretty much near perfect for me.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:06 PM
Dana R
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by robotvoice
I've been using paint from Automotive Touchup for years and the color match has always been pretty much near perfect for me.
I use their touch up paints along with the Langka system. I've never had good luck with clear coat over the base coat, though.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:48 PM
andybee
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Re Dr. ColorChip - Its also a little dependent on color. I've used it on some small chips on my Black Cayman and it worked well. However, the blue for my wife's Nissan is a dreadful match, so much so, I thought I'd ordered the wrong color!

I also found getting some micro cotton swabs are useful as the supplied ones don't last two minutes.
Old 07-01-2024, 10:06 PM
Randy_B
Racer

Received 540 Likes on 243 Posts

Something that will help get better results regardless of the paint brand is a little chip prep prior to touch up. I use a hole punch and cut out a circle of 2000 grit sandpaper and glue it to an eraser on a wooden pencil. Get the surface of the paint damp and carefully feather the jagged edge of the chip down. You will want to then polish out the scratches left behind from the sandpaper prior to touching up the chip. Once you touch up the paint, run over it with some polish to smooth out the touch up.

Last edited by Randy_B; 07-01-2024 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Dr Colorchip vs other brands