Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Failure @ 32k miles Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 12:11 AM
ncster
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

I read up on the brake booster and saw a post about it failing (catastrophically) on a 987.2 (same engine, same part), but it didn't damage the engine. I guess in your case, the part inside the block is what broke off.

The fcp euro page for the part says recommended replacement at 60k miles. Has anyone done that?
Old 05-01-2022, 03:36 AM
vicrc
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder what the chance it would break before the 60k miles? This thread alone 100%, fist one I have seen though and have not seen many 60k+ miles on 981. Damn, I shoulda purchased the 100k mile warranty on my used 30K mile CS, it was $5k that I would gladly throw away if my car makes the 100k miles.

Can an intermediate DIY'er replace this part?
Old 05-01-2022, 11:18 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Fakemoney
Yeah so the shop is saying I’m going to need a new engine dropped in. “Engine came apart on left front, Cam blew out of the housing blowing shrapnel everywhere”
Insurance adjuster is going to take a look Monday. Worried they won’t cover it as there’s no external damage at all, but so far everyone that’s seen the picture including the dealer thinks there’s no way the engine did that itself. BGB quoted me 30k to put in a 911 3.8L. May go that route if insurance doesn’t work out.
Edit: thank you for all the kind replies. My friends weren’t as nice :/ think they’re just jealous.
lol, no insurance isn't going to cover it. There is no amount of debris you could have ran over to cause this. I'm not sure what happened but that sucks. Lack of oil changes maybe by the PO? I think I know where an engine is, I think the place is called AZ cycle parts in Vegas.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:03 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I have 83K miles on my 2014 BS, including a fair number of track days. This is the first I've even heard of this part, much less seen any reports of it failing, even among my track junkie friends.

Now that you know what it is, were there any signs ahead of time that this thing was on it's last legs, or was it just working fine until it wasn't?
Old 05-02-2022, 02:17 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 304 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by ledbette
I have 83K miles on my 2014 BS, including a fair number of track days. This is the first I've even heard of this part, much less seen any reports of it failing, even among my track junkie friends.

Now that you know what it is, were there any signs ahead of time that this thing was on it's last legs, or was it just working fine until it wasn't?
the lesson here is not to drive your porsche and sell it on BAT as collectibles.
just way too many wearable items that can go boom.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:25 PM
Fakemoney
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ledbette

No signs until literally moments before it happened. It was running mint. Heard a ticking nose, couldn’t pull over because I was on some single lane country roads. Then, a loss a oil pressure and losing power brakes which caused me to immediately shut off the engine. A loud pop happened, probably the camshaft blowing out, as I coasted to a stop on someone’s private road. In a perfect, pre-pandemic world I would’ve gone with a certified pre-owned. Did my homework, found a low mileage example with service history from a used car dealership specializing in performance cars. Only shady thing looking back is that it had been auctioned off very early in its life.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 06:53 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Sometimes things just break for no apparent reason. I mean there’s always a reason, but it’s not like it’s somebody’s fault, a lack of maintenance, or someone trying to hide something.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
Fakemoney (05-02-2022), Sajan (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 07:11 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 560 Posts

An auction early in life isn't necessarily bad. Sometimes it's just a matter of circumstance. Some cars get traded in at the wrong time for it and they sit on the lot. If it doesn't sell for one reason or another then off to auction it goes.

My Carrera GTS Cab went to auction after the 1st owner traded it in in mid August at 4,000 miles. It's Speed Yellow so not for everyone's taste, so it sat until October when it was sent to auction. It had 2 strikes against it, the color and everyone wanted the new PDK. It was subsequently picked up by a Porsche Dealer and CPO'd twice. It is a highly spec'd 6 speed car with every desirable option. But once, it was un-loved and unwanted and relegated to the back lot of an auction house somewhere. I don't see myself ever getting rid of it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
ledbette (05-02-2022), Sajan (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 05:06 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 304 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
An auction early in life isn't necessarily bad. Sometimes it's just a matter of circumstance. Some cars get traded in at the wrong time for it and they sit on the lot. If it doesn't sell for one reason or another then off to auction it goes.

My Carrera GTS Cab went to auction after the 1st owner traded it in in mid August at 4,000 miles. It's Speed Yellow so not for everyone's taste, so it sat until October when it was sent to auction. It had 2 strikes against it, the color and everyone wanted the new PDK. It was subsequently picked up by a Porsche Dealer and CPO'd twice. It is a highly spec'd 6 speed car with every desirable option. But once, it was un-loved and unwanted and relegated to the back lot of an auction house somewhere. I don't see myself ever getting rid of it.
Could also be someone traded it to a dealership that doesn't sell a lot of porsche cars...so they sent it off to auction.
what would concern me is if it was traded in at a p dealership and they didn't CPO it..and send it off to auction.

Quick Reply: Engine Failure @ 32k miles Cayman S