Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A 981 from Carvana?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 11:15 AM
MartinD18
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A 981 from Carvana?

A 2013 S PDK that Carfax shows single owner, Texas car, driven average 2,500 miles each year, no accidents reported, cosmetically mint.

Replacing a 2001 S 986 6-spd owned since new, same program. Only driven summers, ave 2.5k miles annually.

Risky? No?
Old 01-17-2022, 12:16 PM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought a BS manual in November after a lengthy search. I saw a lot of cars on Carvana and my general impression was that their cars were priced lower than similar optioned cars elsewhere. If I had found the car I wanted on Carvana I probably would have pursued it. I read quite a few reviews (not on their site) and there were some that were not very happy but there were also many that had no problem at all. I had a rough waterfall of sellers that started with Porsche dealers at the top (CPO preferred; that’s what I bought), followed by other luxury brand dealers, then probably the Carvana type dealer. They see a lot of cars, have a process, price aggressively, and present the cars fairly well. I would have been very careful with single store used dealers unless they had a well known rep in their space. I would look at private sellers individually and they could be anywhere on the scale.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:34 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,084 Likes on 2,113 Posts

There are plenty of people that in this market are simply looking to cash in and figure they can get a large amount of money back and simply hand the keys to someone like Carvana. Really depends on the specific car. Worst case you buy it, get a PPI and then return it if you don't like the results. I've bought CPO cars, one from Porsche, that were not disclosed properly.

When I went to Carmax late last year, I couldn't believe the poor state of the majority of their cars, so I'd have a hard time buying one from them, or any similar dealer such as Carvana.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:08 PM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

if the price is right and the car meets your needs I would get it and have a PPI lined up at your local porsche dealer and go from there. If anything crazy turns up, then just return it. If not just get the maintenance up to date and your good.
The following users liked this post:
Diamond Dave (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 12:14 AM
BK_Verbs
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 981 base Cayman being delivered from Carvana in less than 36 hours. I wanted a 6 speed and I didn’t want black. They had one for what I think was a fair price. Zero for sale in the NorthEast, so I rolled the dice. I have a week to get it checked out at a local shop and I can send it back for any reason. no PPi was possible.

Honestly, the easiest car buying experience of my life. Took all of 20 minutes. Getting the insurance updated was a longer process​​​​. I love that I didn’t have to burn a whole day at a dealer.

My only complaint is they couldn’t tell me what kind of tires are one it. Summer tires in a New York winter can be a bit sketch, but it’s going to be mid 40s Wednesday and that will give me enough of a window to receive the car and get it checked out. Not supposed to get above 30 degrees for the foreseeable future afterwards.

So far so good. Let’s see how Wednesday goes.

Last edited by BK_Verbs; 01-18-2022 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-18-2022, 12:45 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

^ Good luck. It seems the folks here have had mixed results recently.. one guy used Carvana and it was delivered..looked great in photos.. turned out it had a smashed front tub and obviously the front end had been re-sprayed. He elected to return it.

Others have had good luck.. you can do a search here and find their threads..
Old 01-18-2022, 08:20 AM
Diamond Dave
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I sold my car to Carvana , who ever gets it will get a nice maintained vehicle . 2013 981 S SC PDK w 30000 miles W Fabspeed performance exhaust.
  • Stock #: 2001463047

Last edited by Diamond Dave; 01-18-2022 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-18-2022, 12:04 PM
BK_Verbs
Track Day

“Delivery Delayed” due to “vehicle condition issue” which needed to be addressed. (that doesn’t sound encouraging)
On the phone the very friendly representative said they wanted to address a cosmetic flaw.

Notified only 24 hours in advance of the scheduled delivery date.

Now pushed to the week of January 31.
Old 01-18-2022, 02:27 PM
MartinD18
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Diamond Dave from DFW: I considered it. White with beige inside. I'd be buying it if the interior was not beige.

I had one same year, 2013 S, 18K miles same equipment almost, aqua blue metallic paint, yachting blue leather in, navy blue top, ordered and bought and my '01 as trade last week but the order blew up when I was called 2.5 hours before expected delivery, with news the front fascia corner got damaged in transit inbound to Miami Carvana location. They showed me pics, I showed them to two local body guys I trust, it was $1,000 to make it go away. I said no I cannot take this car as is with you (Carvana) make me go the 3rd party insurer route (their insurer, Silver Rock, Tempe, AZ). My local shops, one said never heard of Silver Rock, other said hard going with them in one and only experience.). Order was cancelled. Car disappeared from view in Carvana website.

Then I get a text this morning, this only 3 calendar days, including a Sat and Sun, from them inviting me to reserve the car "pre-order" with a $100 refundable deposit, it's same car, same big photo spread as before I ordered it last week, no additonal photos showing anything about the front corner, which leads me to thinking they hustled it into a body shop in Miami they have a close relationship with, someone ready and willing to fix it in a one or two day window.

So I have it ordered again, and delivery is set for this Friday, 1/21/2022, and I am hoping the front corner looks good. I have attached the pics Carvana sent me last Friday morning, right after they told me of the mishap. As can be seen, all the damage was to the one panel, the bumper/fascia.

Last edited by MartinD18; 01-18-2022 at 02:46 PM.
Diamond Dave (01-19-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 04:40 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by BK_Verbs
“Delivery Delayed” due to “vehicle condition issue” which needed to be addressed. (that doesn’t sound encouraging)
On the phone the very friendly representative said they wanted to address a cosmetic flaw.

Notified only 24 hours in advance of the scheduled delivery date.

Now pushed to the week of January 31.
Where is the car coming from? If it was really 24 hrs before delivery, I would think it got damaged during transit.. thats actualy not uncommon (see Martin's post above)

Last edited by saabin; 01-19-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Sajan (01-28-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 05:28 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought a 2009 Cayman S 6 speed from Carvana last March. I'd say it was an easy transaction, just not fast. I put the $100 deposit on March 17th and the car was delivered May 11th so as long as you're not in a hurry I'd go for it. You can reject it at time of delivery or take delivery and get it checked out within the 7 day return period. It made me more comfortable that the Carfax showed one owner and all maintenance done at the dealer. I also did use Silver Rock warranty for a leaky oil pan gasket with no problems at all. They repaired it without a question. At the time I bought mine they were pricing their Porsches WAY under market but I think they've realized that now and pricing seems more in tune with what's going on.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:36 PM
strider996
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

A couple that I autocross with purchased both their 991 and 981 through Carvana- both cars came as advertised, and both drivers are pleased with the process.
BK_Verbs (01-21-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 09:32 PM
vicrc
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is Carmax a good dealer to buy from? they also offer a return policy
Old 01-21-2022, 03:27 PM
tomekz
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 120 Posts

most of their cars aren't that good. Had a friend that bought a couple of cars from them. All had issues, mostly water leaking in to car and bad repairs by Carmax.

Originally Posted by vicrc
Is Carmax a good dealer to buy from? they also offer a return policy
Old 01-21-2022, 03:36 PM
BK_Verbs
Track Day

Deleted

Last edited by BK_Verbs; 01-21-2022 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: A 981 from Carvana?