Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI Near Palm Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 01:51 AM
hlblanton
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPI Near Palm Springs

I am buying a 2014 981. I will have it for about a week to check it out. I am in Palm Springs which is in the greater Coachella Valley (100idj miles east of LA). I’d love to have someone independent (not the local P dealer) do you a detailed prepurchase inspection. Any thoughts?

on a related note, I’d be interested in thoughts about specific areas to focus on. This car has nearly 70,000 miles so it’s not a youngster. Obviously the 981 is after the faulty intermediate bearing error. I’ve heard that the bushings on the control arms can perish that can be heard and visualized. Anything that could be shared would be very much appreciated.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:41 AM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

I would ask the shop performing the PPI to specifically check for door card delamination, headlight hazing, and stone chips in the windscreen (no idea how but this car seems to be super prone to that). At 70k miles, I would also check for water pump issues. Not an expert on that subject but I believe the pump makes a discernable sound when it is on its last legs.

I wouldn't skip a car because of any of these issues but they will definitely influence the price discussion. As long as the car comes with a good service history (especially plugs (and maybe coils) at 40k, regular oil changes, etc.), it should be good to. The cars are indeed very reliable. 61k miles on mine and still looks and rides like new.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:29 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by hlblanton
I am buying a 2014 981. I will have it for about a week to check it out. I am in Palm Springs which is in the greater Coachella Valley (100idj miles east of LA). I’d love to have someone independent (not the local P dealer) do you a detailed prepurchase inspection. Any thoughts?

on a related note, I’d be interested in thoughts about specific areas to focus on. This car has nearly 70,000 miles so it’s not a youngster. Obviously the 981 is after the faulty intermediate bearing error. I’ve heard that the bushings on the control arms can perish that can be heard and visualized. Anything that could be shared would be very much appreciated.
Go see Loren at 911 Design - https://www.nine11design.com/about-911-design/ - its close enough if you have the car for a day.

Quick Reply: PPI Near Palm Springs