Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly question but spare keys.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 03:33 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Silly question but spare keys.

Hi. Stupid question but what’s the procedure on getting a spare key from a dealership (or elsewhere)? I was told by McKenna Porsche that I have to come in, bring my vehicle, title, and registration, all just so I can place an order for a key, and then I have to subsequently come back for an appointment to have my key programmed once it arrives. Essentially two service appointments to get keys.

I thought I could just pay for a blank then bring my vehicle for a service appointment to have it programmed (and all those proof of ownership documents if they need it). Is that not the case?

2016 981 GT4.

Last edited by LateBraking; 12-17-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:40 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBraking
Hi. Stupid question but what’s the procedure on getting a spare key from a dealership (or elsewhere)? I was told by McKenna Porsche that I have to come in, bring my vehicle, title, and registration, all just so I can place an order for a key, and then I have to subsequently come back for an appointment to have my key programmed once it arrives. Essentially two service appointments to get keys.

I thought I could just pay for a blank then bring my vehicle for a service appointment to have it programmed (and all those proof of ownership documents if they need it). Is that not the case?

2016 981 GT4.
Some dealers are more uptight than others. Depends on how well they know you. But the process is basically the same: First, prove to their satisfaction that you actually own the vehicle (so you aren't trying to steal it). Then Second, come in to have it programmed to the car (make sure to bring the original key too, since both have to be programmed at the same time).

You should only be charged for one service visit (the one for programming). The visit to prove ownership should be very quick and just require that you pay for the new key. If the dealership wants to charge you for a service visit just to check the paperwork and order the key, go somewhere else.

Please be aware that, due to the ongoing chip shortage, it may be a while before your new key comes in, if Porsche will even accept the order (have read a complaint on RL earlier this year that Porsche wouldn't let someone order a new key because of the shortage).

Last edited by BillC3; 12-17-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:50 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3
Some dealers are more uptight than others. Depends on how well they know you. But the process is basically the same: First, prove to their satisfaction that you actually own the vehicle (so you aren't trying to steal it). Then Second, come in to have it programmed to the car (make sure to bring the original key too, since both have to be programmed at the same time).

You should only be charged for one service visit (the one for programming). The visit to prove ownership should be very quick and just require that you pay for the new key. If the dealership wants to charge you for a service visit just to check the paperwork and order the key, go somewhere else.

Please be aware that, due to the ongoing chip shortage, it may be a while before your new key comes in, if Porsche will even accept the order (have read a complaint on RL earlier this year that Porsche wouldn't let someone order a new key because of the shortage).
got it, thanks! The chip shortage slipped my mind. I was thinking just place an order for a blank now and pay, and then I can just bring my title/reg/car when the key arrives at the dealer. Wouldn’t be a useful key to steal any car with until it’s programmed to the car after proof, haha.

Quick Reply: Silly question but spare keys.