Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Boxster S System Fault Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 05:32 PM
gusz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Boxster S System Fault Light

My 2014 Porsche Boxster's PCM (bought new with the Bose stereo option), over time started rebooting itself increasingly frequently, to the point that it was unusable. I won't go through my travails trying to get the dealer to fix it, except to say that they never did so while the car was under warranty, and their solution after warranty expired was to replace the PCM/head unit/amplifier for $7,000. So I replaced the head unit and amp with aftermarket units for $3,500. The replacement system sounds much better, the phone connectivity and navigation is also better and, needless to say, it does not reboot itself automatically.

But .... replacing the PCM/head unit/amplifier turns on the System Fault light, and it requires Porsche PIWIS III scanner to turn the Fault light off. See attachment hereto. I'm loathe to go back to the Porsche dealer after all my travails there, but I understand that it's possible (though expensive) for an independent Porsche shop to buy the PIWIS hardware and software, and I'm hoping someone on this forum knows of such a shop in the San Francisco bay area. Anyone????

Thx, Gus
Attached Files
File Type: docx
SystemFaultLight.docx (281.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-06-2021, 10:25 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Not answering your question, but what head unit did you install?

Quick Reply: 2014 Boxster S System Fault Light