Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find out if my alarm works?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Sia
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find out if my alarm works?

my apologies for seemingly silly questions. I’m new to this forum and have no previous expereince from Porsche. I believe my newly purchased 2014 Cayman has an alarm. I have checked in the frunk and it has the buzzer and cable connected to It in the location they should be. However, during the last 2 weeks, I haven’t been able to find out if the alarm is working or not. I can’t hear any beeps nor does the positions signals react when I lock or unlock the car. Is there a way to check the alarm’s functionality? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:07 AM
enzojr
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can try one of two ways:

1. This YouTube video shows you how to test your car alarm:

2. I have a 2016 Cayman GTS and the method in the video didn’t work for me. Either they changed it or because I am in Canada. Anyway, you can try sitting in your car, locking it from the inside using the key fob, and then opening the car door without unlocking the car. On mine, it sounded the alarm when I did that.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:26 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Sia
my apologies for seemingly silly questions. I’m new to this forum and have no previous expereince from Porsche. I believe my newly purchased 2014 Cayman has an alarm. I have checked in the frunk and it has the buzzer and cable connected to It in the location they should be. However, during the last 2 weeks, I haven’t been able to find out if the alarm is working or not. I can’t hear any beeps nor does the positions signals react when I lock or unlock the car. Is there a way to check the alarm’s functionality? Thanks in advance.
There should be a horn sound. The 981 has an additional horn specifically for this which is under the plastic cover at the base of the windshield in the frunk on the drivers side to the right of the brake fluid reservoir. Many hated the annoying sound it makes and either have the dealer code it out or simply unplug the wire from it, so its possible this is what is going on with your car since you claim you can see it plugged in. It was also popular to plug in a little piezo buzzer instead so the arming sound is a more modern chirp sound rather than a horn blowing. There should also be a warning beep if you try and lock the car with another panel still open such as the frunk or even the armrest
Old 09-09-2021, 07:02 PM
dj97223
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could loan my cat to you. He likes to hang out in the 981 when I am in the garage. He apparently crawled into the boot under the boot cover, and I didn't know he was in there. I locked the car. A few minutes later (I was still in the garage), he set off the alarm. I think that may be the first time my alarm sounded off. The cat did not seem bothered.

The following users liked this post:
burnergt4 (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 09:12 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Leave your windows partly rolled down, then lock your Cayman with the key fob after you've exited the car. After doing that, stick your hand in one of the windows, or throw something into the Cayman. When I did that to my Cayman, it set the alarm off.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:40 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
Leave your windows partly rolled down, then lock your Cayman with the key fob after you've exited the car. After doing that, stick your hand in one of the windows, or throw something into the Cayman. When I did that to my Cayman, it set the alarm off.
This...Even a mouse will set your alarm off...Don't ask how I know.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:42 AM
Sia
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the suggestions. I followed them and thr alarm works indeed. I’m however curious why I can’t hear beeps when locking. It is assuring that the car is locked.
I would love to borrow the cat but there is a great risk that you won’t get her back.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:48 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Isn't the beep select-able in the car program menu? Coulda sworn I turned off the chirp on my Carerra ..
Old 09-10-2021, 09:07 AM
ICNU
Pro

Originally Posted by Sia
Thank you all for the suggestions. I followed them and thr alarm works indeed. I’m however curious why I can’t hear beeps when locking. It is assuring that the car is locked.
I would love to borrow the cat but there is a great risk that you won’t get her back.
Its likely the arming beep has disabled in the programming by the dealer since everything else works. There were a few post years ago when the 981s first came out with guys having the dealer do this with PIWIS before they ever left the lot, so its a real thing.

Last edited by ICNU; 09-10-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:13 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICNU
Its likely the arming beep has disabled in the programming by the dealer since everything else works. There were a few post years ago when the 981s first came out with guys having the dealer do this with PIWIS before they ever left the lot, so its a real thing.
It is also possible to disable it by unplugging it. It's located under the plastic battery cover on the left side near the master cylinder. If you wish, it can be replaced with a different alarm. I replaced mine with an Audi-like chirping alarm. It's easy, cheap, and it works. The DIY is here: https://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...eep-chirp.html

Last edited by TMc993; 09-10-2021 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-10-2021, 05:46 PM
ICNU
Pro

Originally Posted by TMc993
It is also possible to disable it by unplugging it. It's located under the plastic battery cover on the left side near the master cylinder. If you wish, it can be replaced with a different alarm. I replaced mine with an Audi-like chirping alarm. It's easy, cheap, and it works. The DIY is here: https://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...eep-chirp.html
Yep, I posted the same thing a few post up in post#3 and did the mod to my car. He claims he looked at and its still plugged in, so being coded out is pretty much the only thing left it seems considering the alarm is working normally. Should be easy enough for anyone with a PIWIS to take a look and see if the locking beep is turned off

Last edited by ICNU; 09-10-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:15 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICNU
Yep, I posted the same thing a few post up in post#3...
Jeez, almost word-for-word...Sometimes I wonder about myself...
Old 09-11-2021, 09:13 AM
ICNU
Pro

Originally Posted by TMc993
Jeez, almost word-for-word...Sometimes I wonder about myself...
Ha! I'm right there with you Terry

Quick Reply: How to find out if my alarm works?