Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change oil filter without draining oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 04:01 PM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Change oil filter without draining oil?

Hello forum,

Due to the exhorbitant prices at indy shops in my new city as well as a desire to learn, I decided to do my own oil change on my 2014 981 CS at a DIY garage. After opening the drain plug, I found that the 74mm 14 flute filter wrench that the shop had did not fit over the cayman's oil filter housing. Thus I ended up changing the oil without changing the filter. I added ~7.25L of oil (as indicated in the workshop manual for change without replacing filter). The oil level indicator is now at the same level as before.

Does removing the oil filter with full oil drain a significant amount of oil? Will it be alright to change the oil filter without changing the oil now?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2021, 05:39 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

IMHO (former 2014 981S owner):

1) No
2) Yes
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 07:17 PM
Rogon55
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ncster
Hello forum,

Due to the exhorbitant prices at indy shops in my new city as well as a desire to learn, I decided to do my own oil change on my 2014 981 CS at a DIY garage. After opening the drain plug, I found that the 74mm 14 flute filter wrench that the shop had did not fit over the cayman's oil filter housing. Thus I ended up changing the oil without changing the filter. I added ~7.25L of oil (as indicated in the workshop manual for change without replacing filter). The oil level indicator is now at the same level as before.

Does removing the oil filter with full oil drain a significant amount of oil? Will it be alright to change the oil filter without changing the oil now?

Thanks!
You will only loose what is in the canister not in the sump, replace filter and fill the canister half way with oil before you put it back, ( I always do that is a habit) run engine to warm check level you will probably need to add a small amount. JMO
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 07:30 PM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the inputs! I was hoping that was the case, especially considering how high up the filter flange is compared to the sump! I still have ~3/4L of the oil left. Should get me through just fine. I'll get that done later this week.

I was a bit concerned about the old oil still left in the filter housing but then I realized that's an inconsequential amount considering that there's still another ~2.5 litres still in the engine that just doesn't drain out (per the workshop manual, new engine takes 10.1 litres of oil, oil change is 7.5 litres).
Old 08-23-2021, 01:42 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

And rather than dumping the oil from the filter housing you can just pour it back in the engine.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:43 AM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
And rather than dumping the oil from the filter housing you can just pour it back in the engine.
That is true, considering it'll just be new oil mix anyway.

I'm planning on replacing the oil filter housing as well. Per LN, it seems they have a limited life span and mine is still the original from 2014.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:50 PM
ncster
Rennlist Member

I finally went and changed the filter along with the housing. The oil that came out of the filter housing was surprisingly dark. I've only driven ~200 miles since I changed the oil so I'm not sure why the oil looked like that. I ended up dumping that oil and topping it up with fresh LiquiMoly.

I'll be disecting the filter to look for any metal particles. Thanks for all the advice!

Quick Reply: Change oil filter without draining oil?