Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put my 981 up for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 03:36 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Guy
If you can get a really clean, low mileage, well equipped CS for 55K, I think that's a deal in the market. I have one with all the OEM performance goodies (SC, SE, X73, PTV), etc. and 16K miles, and I would not let it go for that right now.

OP, congrats on the sale.
+1 and likewise. Been offered 55 from the dealer and that's without me buying something from them.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:36 AM
EJR2
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johnkuz
Well it sold. For those following the thread 68.5k was final price. Time to go find a new car now. Need one with a back seat.
That is awesome. Shows the market is still strong. These are great cars and many prefer the 981 to the 718 - even the 4.0 718. Also shows a car’s value is what someone will pay for it even if others don’t understand it.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:18 PM
Rogon55
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

981s are skyrocketing specially GTS versions for different reasons, one of them try to find a new Cayman of any type and certainly no GTSs to be had, The Collection in Miami only had SUVs available not a single coupe in stock of any type, anything ordered you will get next year, also lots of folks don't want the 4T, nothing wrong with it is just not so appealing to some, so 981 3.4 are a hot ticket item, some may not agree but thats ok, you certainly have it at the right dealer, I got my 981GTS from them, great people to deal with. It will sell.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:13 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Op congrats on sale. Personally I thought your ask was high for the mileage but the market said otherwise.

I bought a ‘16 GTS with manual, under 10k miles this summer because I knew even in this market it was a fair price. Even if prices stabilize I feel confident due to the scarcity of 981 Cayman GTS, prices won’t go drastically lower. A fully loaded 718 GTS are asking for more and you can’t even smell a 4.0 GTS for under 100k.

Last edited by wardrive; 08-27-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:18 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
That's actually a great price considering that model year was selling private party in that range, and in the 30s for dealer trade in prior to Covid. The car is now 1.5 years older, so getting essentially private party value on an even older car today from a wholesale buyer is a great deal assuming you dont want to buy something else with the proceeds.

The question is whether these artificially high prices are going to reset as the new "norm" and slowly depreciate back down as if it was always this way, or if these cars are suddenly going to drop back to the 35-38K price they really would be getting right now under normal circumstances and give the guys that bought now a huge hit in depreciation?

The OP here has a GTS and those were already bringing a crazy 10K more than the S models were on the used market for some strange reason that makes no sense to me since its just an options package and not a GT model or different car at all, so I assume that same delta or more applies today. Like you, I have a 2014S with SC and I would consider 45-50K a fantastic deal if I were selling right now, especially if all I have to do is get a check and walk away without dealing with the public
Bought my 981 Cayman S a few years ago and the delta between the S and GTS was consistently $12-15K. Just absurd for an options package as you mention. Got mine with over $15K in track mods that will outhustle any GTS on track for about $4k or so above a stock car at the time. But the market determines value, I just don’t happen to always agree with it!
OP- congrats on the sale.
The following users liked this post:
ICNU (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:17 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

I think the issue is twofold with the price delta -

1. Usually you need to search a bit to find a 'S' that has all the option goodies that you know will be on the GTS models for sale - this includes PSAM or sport suspension, sport exhaust, full leather, etc. And then there are some goodies you just can't get on the S including the tinted headlights/back lights, 3rd radiator and the front fascia which alone makes it very different from a S. I see Cayman non-GTS guys who later add those features which defeats the reason to buy the GTS with the goodies.

2. The 981 Cayman were very limited production numbers compared to the 911 and the other Porsche models. But the GTS was even more rare. Looking up the vin analytics on my 2016 GTS I notice there was less then 600 made that year compared to 2105 for the GT4 during the same year. I think the 2015 GTS volume was equally low. Now don't get me wrong, I would take a GT4 over a GTS in a heartbeat but just showing the numbers show the rarity of the 981 GTS.

Another note - buying new the GTS and GT4 were very similar in price (my GTS was new at 93k while a GT4 would have been 98k) but in the used car space obviously the GT4 has really held its value well.

Originally Posted by Four Ring Circus
Bought my 981 Cayman S a few years ago and the delta between the S and GTS was consistently $12-15K. Just absurd for an options package as you mention. Got mine with over $15K in track mods that will outhustle any GTS on track for about $4k or so above a stock car at the time. But the market determines value, I just don’t happen to always agree with it!
OP- congrats on the sale.

Quick Reply: Put my 981 up for sale