Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air filter help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 11:32 AM
charlesr
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default air filter help

need help on an aftermarket air filter for the 981 cayman base. any advice on brand or oil/ non oil? the oil type had issues on my 987. thanks
Old 07-11-2021, 01:22 PM
PS-GT4
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Stick with OE. More surface area and much better dust filtration.
The following 2 users liked this post by PS-GT4:
Diamond Dave (07-15-2021), tomekz (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 03:56 PM
Gabriel@NutCracker
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

I am using Blueprint ADV182278. Not sure whether it's available in the US. Direct replacement for OEM filter, which isn't exactly cheap.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:11 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 311 Posts

OEM
The following users liked this post:
Diamond Dave (07-15-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 10:51 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 96 Posts

Another vote for OEM or similar aftermarket.

Will admit I've never used oiled air filters. From the little research I've done it seems like they have to be cleaned and re-oiled fairly often (as in a few thousand miles of driving or several times per year). Changing the engine air filters on a 981 is well within the wheelhouse of an average DIY shade-tree mechanic but is enough of a PITA that I certainly won't be doing it often.

Then there's the possibility of damaging the MAF. I'm sure in the P-car world, that's an expensive part and the labor to get to it is probably 3x the cost of the part.

As for performance gains..... the performance gain claims don't seem matched by any non-biased evidence I've seen. But as with religion, for the faithful the lack of evidence doesn't seem to matter much.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:23 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
Another vote for OEM or similar aftermarket.

Will admit I've never used oiled air filters. From the little research I've done it seems like they have to be cleaned and re-oiled fairly often (as in a few thousand miles of driving or several times per year). Changing the engine air filters on a 981 is well within the wheelhouse of an average DIY shade-tree mechanic but is enough of a PITA that I certainly won't be doing it often.

Then there's the possibility of damaging the MAF. I'm sure in the P-car world, that's an expensive part and the labor to get to it is probably 3x the cost of the part.

As for performance gains..... the performance gain claims don't seem matched by any non-biased evidence I've seen. But as with religion, for the faithful the lack of evidence doesn't seem to matter much.
I have used K&N air filters on all of my cars and trucks for over 30 years including our fleet of over 20 trucks at my work with good results. A misconception is that they need frequent cleaning but under normal conditions (not high dust conditions) that they only need to be cleaned and oiled every 50,000 miles and they more efficiently filter dirt as they become dirty. If they are not over oiled we have not experienced issues with oil on the MAF sensors even on our fleet and we run our trucks well over 200,000 miles and have not experienced any engine issues. The 981 no longer use MAF sensors and now use MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor which is located in the intake manifold and would not be affected by over oiling the filter.

When I ordered my aFe headers there was a shipping problem and aFe sent me their Pro Dry S air filter at no charge to resolve the issue. I have been using the dry filters for three years on my 2014CS and enjoy the increased intake noise which is especially noticeable with the windows down. I have no issue with the OEM filters as they have a large filter area but I have a good history with the oiled filters and expect to have the same with the Pro Dry filters and the intake sound adds to the experience.
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 07-14-2021 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-14-2021, 01:14 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

When you change the air filters, be careful with two screws which are coming out of the body of the car. These two screw hold one of the plastic covers which you have to remove to get to the filters. There are two plastic nuts which go over the plastic cover and these two screws to hold the whole construct together. Once you are done with your air filter job and you want to put everything back together be very careful with these two specific nuts. When you overtighten them just a little bit, you will break the screw. I have seen in 2 videos when one of the screws was broken. It was a pain in the A** to replace the screw. The screw is part of the body and I think it is aluminum. I tried several types of screw by simply glue them to where the old screw broke of, none of them worked. Finally I find a plastic screw with the right length and diameter which could be glued to the body with a super glue. So again, just be careful with those two nuts and you hopefully wont to have to deal with this issue.

Otherwise, just go OEM with your air filter, this will be your safest bet.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:56 AM
charlesr
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, that helps a lot. will follow to the letter.

Quick Reply: air filter help