Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First P-car - 15 Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 04:25 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

I had the Porsche supplied mounting frame and used self adhesive insulation foam with double sided tape on the non adhesive side....no holes.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheSitter (05-01-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 01:32 AM
Scooter8
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 981 GTS with parking sensors. I use this tow hook mount: Rho plate V2 with extender:

https://www.rho-plate.com/products/p...t=924537683995
PorscheSitter (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 AM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheSitter
Hello from Texas y'all - I just got my first P-car this week, a 2015 981 GTS 6-speed. I'm still getting to know it (a go-cart compared to my Texas-mandated F150 daily driver), and look forward to discussions with everyone here.

Any advice from fellow Texans on whether to mount the accursed required front license plate? Since it's a weekend car, I'm thinking I'll chance it for a bit until the tickets start to pile up! Thanks.

Congratulations, especially on getting one with the right transmission

I've lived in Austin for 20+ years and many of the 20+ vehicles I've had in that time have not had a front plate, including daily drivers. My wife got stopped once for no front plate (15 years ago) and the Travis County Sheriff told her to "ask (your) husband to put the plate on the front". Can't remember what car that was. We got stopped on IH 10 in west Texas by state troopers in a 2017 Golf GTI and had to dig the plate out from the trunk under all our stuff to show them and were given a warning ticket and told to get some zip ties at the next gas station and attach it to the front (we did not bother with the zip ties).

I've always assumed that a ticket would be a fix it ticket and that if the enforcement increased I'd just get the tow hook mounted option, but where we live the likelihood of any consequences seem minimal.

Frankly enforcement of vehicle issues seems lax. Many years ago I had a 996 and I wasn't driving it a lot and the inspection had expired. I was on my way to get it inspected and stopped at a light. A Travis County officer on a BMW air cooled motorcycle pulled up next to me and I was checking out his bike. He looked over then said "your inspection expired 2 months ago". I said "I know, I'm on my way to get it inspected right now". He said, "right" and laughed and sped off. But I really was. I see cars all the time with >1 year old inspection/registration stickers.

YMMV but I'd say don't worry about a front plate until it becomes an issue.
PorscheSitter (05-03-2021)

Quick Reply: First P-car - 15 Cayman GTS