Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Top Care

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 01:52 PM
MarkM13
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boxster Top Care

Greetings,

Wondering what, if any, steps I should take to prolong the top of my 2013 981 Boxster. The salesman, mentioned putting the roof up each night to avoid creases in the fabric and not using any harsh detergents on it.

Does anyone do something in addition?

THanks,

Mark
The following users liked this post:
foodbiker (05-11-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 03:21 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't use normal car wash soap.
For normal car washes, i just use water and a gentle brush.
Once a year I've used RaggTopp to date on mine... OK with it but it doesn't repel water with beading as much as i hoped or thought it would.
Next time I treat it i'll probably give the 303 fabric convertible top care product a try.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

I wash with Raggtop but found the Porsche brand water repellant works the best. I get two treatments out of a can. You need to tape around the top to protect from overspray.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:31 PM
mtbrdad
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought the 303 fabric guard from Amazon I’ll let you know how it works in the next couple weeks.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:53 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Raggtopp approx 3x per year here, year 'round daily driver. I skip cleaning the top for most washes. If washing, just water spray.

Gently vacuum or lint-roller when I want the top cleaner. For deep cleaning (once per year), I use Raggtopp fabric cleaner with a very soft brush. Have to then rinse like crazy, follow with treating with the protectant.

I've found the Raggtopp stuff easy to apply indoors (no breeze), then push into the sun to dry between applications. Any overspray is easy to wipe away with some speedshine or your detailer of choice.

Used the Porsche brand stuff once. Seems to work well, but I gave up on it because A) i didn't like taping off the entire rest of the car, and B) fumes, lots of fumes...

With either, I use a good basic N95 dust mask to avoid inhaling mist.

On the up / down thing... I've heard folks, including convertible shop / upholstery folks recommend always storing car overnight with top up. I've left the top down for weeks at a time, frankly and not seen any difference.

Mine is '05 987 with 9x,xxx miles, so you mileage may vary.

Last edited by Dave in Chicago; 04-05-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:31 PM
zuch
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't put the top down when wet. Apparently it can leave marks.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

303 Protectorant applied with a small foam roller (one meant for cutting in to trim) goes on neatly, no need for any taping, and beads up for at least 6 months at a time. Apply after gently washing down of the top using a very soft (boars hair) brush to break loose any embedded dirt. You'll only need the brush the first time, since next time the dirt won't have penetrated the fabric due to the 3030. A cold water rinse, let it dry, treat it. Done. No magic or dead chickens required.
The following 2 users liked this post by deilenberger:
dbarry (04-07-2021), scootr (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 02:33 PM
mtbrdad
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
303 Protectorant applied with a small foam roller (one meant for cutting in to trim) goes on neatly, no need for any taping, and beads up for at least 6 months at a time. Apply after gently washing down of the top using a very soft (boars hair) brush to break loose any embedded dirt. You'll only need the brush the first time, since next time the dirt won't have penetrated the fabric due to the 3030. A cold water rinse, let it dry, treat it. Done. No magic or dead chickens required.
Great info, thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking about rolling it on rather than spraying it, when I get it I'll do just as you said here.

Now onto the next question: Which short shifter and new cables should I get??? LOL, no need to answer I've been researching all the threads already on this.

Last edited by mtbrdad; 04-06-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:44 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

For those using the roller... are you spraying the roller, then rolling it on? I know some products come in a non-spray bottle... but the RaggTopp kit I bought comes with a spray can. If I can spray the roller and then roll it on, that might be a good way to prevent overspray, but I don't know if that even makes sense to attempt.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:37 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I tried using a chicken but the bugger wouldn't hold still! I'm glad there's a better method.

Then again, a dead one would have been easier, I suppose.
mtbrdad (04-08-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 03:46 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts

Ha ha - 1 slightly used chicken for sale. Waterproofed one side
mtbrdad (04-08-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 05:53 PM
Bellazena1
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking that putting the top up and down is what makes it have wear marks, I'd just not leave it down for long periods as long as you can garage the car..
Old 04-06-2021, 06:33 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwinn
For those using the roller... are you spraying the roller, then rolling it on? I know some products come in a non-spray bottle... but the RaggTopp kit I bought comes with a spray can. If I can spray the roller and then roll it on, that might be a good way to prevent overspray, but I don't know if that even makes sense to attempt.
The roller came with a tiny tray.. the 303 comes in a finger-spray bottle, so I unscrewed the top, poured a bit into the tray and used it just like I'd use a big paint roller/tray. When done, poured what was still in the tray back into the bottle. Easy-Peasy.

BTW - chicken HAS to be dead when spinning it over your head. Try it sometime with a live one.. last time you'll do that. Perdue makes good ones,
Schwinn (07-08-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 04:19 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I know I'm bringing back an older thread, and I have a 987, but I finally got around to using the RaggTopp stuff yesterday. Cleaning was easy, and didn't show a lot of dirt (this is my Carvana car, so I wasn't sure what condition it was REALLY in when I got it, of course). Still, I did the cleaning twice, since it was so easy. Then I left it in the sun to dry and it felt dry to my hand and warm (implying it really dried well). I rotated the car in the sun as well, to ensure the other side dried well too. Then I did the spray protectant in the garage with both doors open (and an N95 mask, since I have plenty haha).

I followed the video by AutoGeek (and I bought my it from them too):
I didn't remember to do the gloved wiping trick, but I expect it's fine. Haven't had it out yet (waiting the 24 hours) but it was easy as well. I was afraid of the overspray concerns, but it really does wipe up quickly and easily so it's not a big deal. Like they said, use a microfiber and it wipes up quickly and easily if you do it soon after.

The job was much easier than I expected. I will probably do the 303 in the future, as people say it lasts longer (and I like the roller application idea better anyway). Regardless, it was easy to do, so I wanted to let others know as well!
Old 06-14-2021, 01:26 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Question on the 303 protectant - what type are you all using? They have the Aerospace protectant like this:https://www.autogeek.net/16oz.html

And the "Fabric Guard" which also mentions a convertible top but not UV protection: https://www.autogeek.net/303fabricguard.html

I assume the recommendation is the former, correct?

The reason I'm revisiting is that it rained today and the water is beading better, but not quite as well as I see from pictures/videos. So, I figure I need another coat (even though I used the full can for the RaggTopp stuff already)... so I figure I'd use the 303 this time around. I assume I can just put this over the RaggTopp stuff...?

Quick Reply: Boxster Top Care