Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It finally failed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 11:18 AM
Tuscanito
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
My curiosity has the best of me. Any chance this is an anomaly? Have you tried clearing the DTC with a Porsche scanner?
cannot porsche is strongly wanting you to pay the 4,000 USD for the swap
Old 03-10-2021, 03:20 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub
I meant anecdotally, not officially.

I just want to know how common it is, and if I should mentally and financially prepare. I've read of this issue a couple times previously. I'm also curious if its primarily an age or mileage based failure.

Sorry you're going through this. At least its not catastrophic and can still use the car.
Since I've been on this forum for the last 6 months I've seen 3 individuals report this exact failure.
The following users liked this post:
Tuscanito (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 03:29 PM
Tuscanito
Intermediate

Originally Posted by absoluteczech
Since I've been on this forum for the last 6 months I've seen 3 individuals report this exact failure.
Yep and I know couple of friends who have this same failure, guess is Deutchland quality.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:58 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

Porsche has made their share of mistakes, but I do not think that you can impugn their quality overall. Maybe the best way to wrap your head around all of the maintenance/repair that an aging Porsche requires is to think of it as being somewhere between a race car and daily driver. A race car requires exponentially more maintenance than a road car. All the performance goodness Porsche delivers in these platforms comes at a cost. See it that way and then all you have to worry about is out-earning the needs of your Porsche. In my experience with a Box GTS (CPO ‘15 now w/22K miles) there have been no additional costs, or needed repairs, beyond regular maintenance and a set of MPSS 4S’s. But I know that is going to change...
Old 03-10-2021, 08:41 PM
Tuscanito
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kancamagus
Porsche has made their share of mistakes, but I do not think that you can impugn their quality overall. Maybe the best way to wrap your head around all of the maintenance/repair that an aging Porsche requires is to think of it as being somewhere between a race car and daily driver. A race car requires exponentially more maintenance than a road car. All the performance goodness Porsche delivers in these platforms comes at a cost. See it that way and then all you have to worry about is out-earning the needs of your Porsche. In my experience with a Box GTS (CPO ‘15 now w/22K miles) there have been no additional costs, or needed repairs, beyond regular maintenance and a set of MPSS 4S’s. But I know that is going to change...
Very good way to put it but wait until your porsche ages a little more and you will start having all sorts of failure.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:41 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 320 Posts

Count me in the group with a recent failure. Part was ordered under warranty at the end of November 2020. Still waiting on it.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:15 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Count me in the group with a recent failure. Part was ordered under warranty at the end of November 2020. Still waiting on it.
I came onto here hoping to find some info about aftermarket options etc but found little in that regard. So it was OEM for me (part was 1300 and with labor about $2k total). Would he nice to see some aftermarket options. It’s not cheap/easy technology though.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:08 AM
Tuscanito
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Four Ring Circus
I came onto here hoping to find some info about aftermarket options etc but found little in that regard. So it was OEM for me (part was 1300 and with labor about $2k total). Would he nice to see some aftermarket options. It’s not cheap/easy technology though.
was it one or both sides you had replaced?
Old 03-13-2021, 04:48 PM
Paul Quilter
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Word is that the mounts fail due to ingress of water. I believe that there are factory guards that can be fitted and also that others have made their own protective device.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:21 PM
Tuscanito
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paul Quilter
Word is that the mounts fail due to ingress of water. I believe that there are factory guards that can be fitted and also that others have made their own protective device.
then why is porsche not talking responsibility? Is not my cars was submerged in water.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

This thread is now being closed to further comment. It's going nowhere useful.

Quick Reply: It finally failed