Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Seat Setup for 981 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Fastguy412
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Race Seat Setup for 981 Cayman S

Hi all - I'm looking for recommendations on a race seat setup for my 981 Cayman S (seat and mounting hardware) for track days. I'd like to stay under $1,000 a seat, which it seems there are several options from (OMP, Sparco, etc.). The OMP WRC-R (~$800 a seat) looks like it may be a good option. Might need the XL.

Anybody have any experience on how the OMP WRC-R and XL version fits in 981 and the quality, comfort, etc. of this seat?

As far as mounting hardware, can this seat or others be bolted directly to the 981 floor using side brackets, or is base plate like ones from Planted needed in addition to side brackets?

Thanks!
FG412
Old 02-02-2021, 11:34 AM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

If it all possible you should sit in the seat because those extra larges can be really big I have an extra large I have a 34 inch waist and it's way too big for me it's more like for a 40 inch waist
The following users liked this post:
Fastguy412 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 04:10 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a 2014 Cayman S and added a race seat last year. I have a Sparco Evo QRT std size and it easily fits (I agree with the above poster a try to find a seat that you can actually sit in for sizing; the std size evo is good for me at 6' 175 lbs with narrow hips and would be waaay too sung for anyone larger or wider). I have it mounted on a BBI seat base with a long 3 point belt receptacle (GT3 belt I think) and a Schroth 6 point enduro harness.

If you plan to drive the car on the street with the race seat, on the EVO seat, you have to run the belt receptacle inside the seat for proper 3 point belt geometry (a lot of people do not do this and have horrible 3 point belt applications that dramatically alter the belt path and I think they undermine the safety of the 3 point) so the belt does not lay across the top of the leg portion of the seat and instead snakes through the thigh holes in the seat. This routing is not super comfortable because it puts the receptacle between your leg and the seat - if the seat is snug to start, this makes it really tight; you might go up a size seat to give yourself some room. I know I am ranting a bit on this but I see so many poorly routed 3 point belts with race seats - it really bothers me!

Last thing is the airbag warning light. I believe you can have it "unmonitored" or turn the monitor off for the seat airbag done via the PIWIS system if you can convince a dealer to actually do this (mine won't because they feel it modifies the factory safety system and are not willing to do it). The other option is to swap the seat with no key in the ignition, put a resistor in the plug under the seat to trick the ecu into thinking there is an airbag and then you might be good. I have done this and did get an airbag light when the seat was in but after I swapped back in the factory seat, I could reset the light with my Cobb tuner. I also skipped the resistor to see what would happen and now have a permanent airbag light that will not go away even with the Cobb. I am not sure what the easy answer to this really is...maybe someone else has a good solution.
Fastguy412 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 04:54 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 114 Posts

OMP HTE-R very good seat under $1K as the side head protection which I like. Also roomy enough but fits well. I agree sit in a seat with your helmet on. before you decide, For me I added a cheap back lumbar support pad for that seat and it fits perfect.
Fastguy412 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 05:03 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

I agree with everyone above to sit in multiple seats to see which fits your body best (back length, shoulder height for harness, width, etc.) and to confirm which bolster height works for you.

If you want something easy, just buy the BBI seat base.
https://www.bbiautosport.com/product...and-slider-kit

Parts Needed (if you buy them separately)
  • Side Mount
  • Hardware
  • Seat base (Not needed if using OEM slider)
  • Slider (Not needed if using OEM slider)
Airbag
  • Program using PIWIS at 3rd part shop
    • My local Porsche Dealer did not want to program this
  • Durametric Pro or Foxwell NT530 (look this up on their website for your car model)
Fastguy412 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 11:51 PM
Fastguy412
Advanced

Appreciate the feedback. Good suggestions about sitting in the multiple seats before buying. Might be able to do this at the track once track days get going again. Will have to see if I can contain myself until then.

In the meantime, I found this website that has the dimensions for broad range of OMP seats...DiscoveryParts. Have to scroll down the page to see the dims. The seat inner width for the WRC-R is 390mm (15.4in.) and the XL is 415mm (16.3in.). No way my butt is squeezing into the standard WRC. Will need an XL.

I'm planning on sticking with the factory 3 point belt for now, so good points by Brewerbry regarding the belt receptacle position. I hadn't thought about the air bag light either.

Linda at Apex Performance has been helpful as well. She recommended some mounting hardware by Brey Krause and Planted. Also mentioned options for manual sliders, which my car has.

Last edited by Fastguy412; 02-02-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastguy412
Good suggestions about sitting in the multiple seats before buying.
Wonder if there is a race gear shop near you. Here in Chicago area, we are very spoiled with John and team at https://www.northstarmotorsports.com/. They have a showroom with a number of seats on display to try out. Made all the difference for me in seat selection.

Also, wear what you’d wear while driving when you try seats on. Jeans are different than a nomex race suit, etc. It can make a difference if you like as snug a fit in the hips as I do.

Good luck.

Fastguy412 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:36 PM
osuidoc
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

If you thinking of a five point harness eventually and are interested in getting a harness bar for your car, I have one from BBi that I removed from a 2014 Cayman S that is for sale.
Also have the interior trim parts that were professionally cut out to receive the tubing that I can include.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:07 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Does anyone have experience with seats with the head restraints in street use? I was shying away from those seats because my car sees plenty of street use. I figured these would restrict visibility too much in regular street use. Headed to local shop probably next week to start seat/harness conversation and installation this winter. I was looking at a seat like the Recaro Pole Position. If I am spending the money to upgrade to race seats for safety purposes is it stupid to not get a head restraint seat? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2021, 11:27 AM
Fastguy412
Advanced

I'm also shying away from race seats with head restraints for this reason. My car will still see some street use and don't want any issues with impaired visibility. I assume seats with head restraint would also probably be illegal on street as well.

On another note, my neighbor recently picked up some used Recaro Profi XL seats. We dry fit one last night in my 981 Cayman. It fit the car and my frame nicely. Might go this direction.

Regarding OMP WRC-R XL, does anybody have experience with this fitting in 981 Cayman? I'm hearing this seat might not fit. When I look at the dims, it looks to be about 3" wider at the shell outer at the shoulder bolster "C" vs. the Profi XL.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:01 PM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The Sparco Evo has removable halos, which makes them a good dual-purpose fixed-back seat. There are a few seats out there with "open" halos that you can see through. Recaro had one. Corbeau and Momo have had one. Not sure if any are still in production.

Remember that fixed-back seats/harnesses/roll bars work together as a system. It is advised to install all together.

I can source seats and harnesses for you, if you're interested. Anthony@DriveFasterNow.com.
Fastguy412 (02-15-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 10:19 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn
The Sparco Evo has removable halos, which makes them a good dual-purpose fixed-back seat. There are a few seats out there with "open" halos that you can see through. Recaro had one. Corbeau and Momo have had one. Not sure if any are still in production.

Remember that fixed-back seats/harnesses/roll bars work together as a system. It is advised to install all together.

I can source seats and harnesses for you, if you're interested. Anthony@DriveFasterNow.com.
Thx Anthony for this suggestion. It looked quite promising for me and my needs, but unfortunately from the Sparco website they have only one dealer within 50 miles of me and the dealer doesn’t sell seats, just other Sparco products. I hate to sound so provincial, but I can’t imagine what the company is thinking not having a single dealer within 50 miles of Manhattan, an area with over 20 million people.
Major fail on their part, as I am not buying a seat without sitting my butt in it first (unless like some high end clothing or shoe stores they are doing free shipping and returns!)
Fastguy412 (02-15-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 12:32 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

I will chime in on actually sitting in a seat - you are spot on to do it! I too was looking at the Sparco Evo with the removable halos and when I actually sat in the seat, found it uncomfortable but also the shoulder belt positioning too low for me which I would have never caught if I had not sat in the seat. It sounds like it will be a challenge for you to find a showroom to sit in an actual seat but it is worth the hassle in my opinion!
Fastguy412 (02-15-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 11:45 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brewerbry
I will chime in on actually sitting in a seat - you are spot on to do it! I too was looking at the Sparco Evo with the removable halos and when I actually sat in the seat, found it uncomfortable but also the shoulder belt positioning too low for me which I would have never caught if I had not sat in the seat. It sounds like it will be a challenge for you to find a showroom to sit in an actual seat but it is worth the hassle in my opinion!
From my research the Sparco seat with removable halo is called the Ergo, not Evo. That said, it also looks like it is discontinued (there could still be inventory floating around). I went to a very reputable shop here in North Jersey today and checked out some Recaro and OMP options. I was interested in the Recaro Pole Position, but I was way too tall for it (my shoulders were blocking the holes for shoulder harness) and I am only 6 feet tall. I think I am going with the OMP WRC. Higher thigh/lower side support, better positioning of shoulder strap holes, and cheaper to boot than Recaro. I am about 190 pounds and 34 waist and the regular size was fine for me- XL was way too big. Lastly, the advisor at this shop said that the Sparco Ergo has many detractors because with the halo being removable, they aren’t as structurally sound as a permanent halo.
So my lesson- you absolutely have to seat in some seats before making a decision.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:18 PM
FatherHoang
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive got the recaro SPG XL in my cayman, can't complain. Great seat.
Fastguy412 (02-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Race Seat Setup for 981 Cayman S