Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After two years of looking finally able to join the club

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 12:24 PM
tomekz
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 120 Posts
Default After two years of looking finally able to join the club

Finally took the 2014 Cayman S home yesterday. The two year wait has been long. Thank you everyone who give their opinions and information in my previous post about "$51k reasonable"
Got lucky, the car wasn't listed for sale anywhere. Got it from a local guy that I saw on a facebook post. Only 23k miles on the clock.

The wife is still not speaking to me. . might be a few days. lol

Sticker Price: $96,895.00
Exterior: GT Silver Metallic
Interior: Leather interior in Carrera Red natural leather

220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
423 20-inch Carrera S wheels
456 Adaptive Cruise Control including Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
475 Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
498 Deletion of Model Designation
583 Smoking package
603 Bi-Xenon
636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
640 Sport Chrono Package (i.c.w. PCM)
671 Voice Control
748 Electrically folding side mirrors
840 SportDesign steering wheel
981130 Cayman S
998 Natural Leather
NG Leather interior in Carrera Red natural leather
P04 Sport Seats Plus
P13 Auto dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
P9A Convenience Package
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE
U2 GT Silver Metallic
XDH Wheels painted in Platinum (semi-gloss)
XFJ Instrument Dials Colored White
XLF Sport Exhaust System
The following 2 users liked this post by tomekz:
ekam (01-16-2021), remington (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 12:49 PM
MMaynard
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

If you let her drive it a few times maybe she will warm up to it....
Old 01-15-2021, 12:58 PM
tomekz
Racer

Originally Posted by MMaynard
If you let her drive it a few times maybe she will warm up to it....
She is completely a non driver, couldn't care less....
Old 01-15-2021, 01:04 PM
MMaynard
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

So is my wife (Non-Driver) but she does like it when we go for rides in the car. I live in the Texas hill country so a drive on a nice day is always a good time. Especially with being locked in all the time now..
The following 2 users liked this post by MMaynard:
grgallo (01-15-2021), MattUF (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 01:18 PM
Fresh.Sizzle
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tomekz
Finally took the 2014 Cayman S home yesterday. The two year wait has been long. Thank you everyone who give their opinions and information in my previous post about "$51k reasonable"
Got lucky, the car wasn't listed for sale anywhere. Got it from a local guy that I saw on a facebook post. Only 23k miles on the clock.

The wife is still not speaking to me. . might be a few days. lol

Sticker Price: $96,895.00
Exterior: GT Silver Metallic
Interior: Leather interior in Carrera Red natural leather

220 Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
423 20-inch Carrera S wheels
456 Adaptive Cruise Control including Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
475 Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
498 Deletion of Model Designation
583 Smoking package
603 Bi-Xenon
636 ParkAssist (front and rear)
640 Sport Chrono Package (i.c.w. PCM)
671 Voice Control
748 Electrically folding side mirrors
840 SportDesign steering wheel
981130 Cayman S
998 Natural Leather
NG Leather interior in Carrera Red natural leather
P04 Sport Seats Plus
P13 Auto dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
P9A Convenience Package
P9G Infotainment Package with BOSE
U2 GT Silver Metallic
XDH Wheels painted in Platinum (semi-gloss)
XFJ Instrument Dials Colored White
XLF Sport Exhaust System
Surprise her with a pair of Louboutins and a Chanel handbag. Problem solved.

Last edited by Fresh.Sizzle; 01-15-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:27 PM
tomekz
Racer

Originally Posted by Fresh.Sizzle
Surprise her with a pair of Louboutins and a Chanel handbag. Problem solved.
I wish it would be that easy. She doesn't like spending money period. Even though we can afford a few nicer things here or there she is more happy with spending a reasonable amount on regular use items than $$$$$ on high priced items etc,

I guess I am just going to have to wait a few days before she comes around.

The following 2 users liked this post by tomekz:
Fresh.Sizzle (01-15-2021), MMaynard (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 02:40 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Pics not showing up
Old 01-15-2021, 04:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

you can sleep in the car, you cant drive the house.
If I referred to "my wife" as "the wife" she wouldn't speak to me until I apologized, and only after i got my own ice for the smack she would have given me.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (01-22-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 04:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Perhaps approach the discussion with your wife a little differently. You might suggest that this car is already close to the bottom of the depreciation curve and likely won’t lose much value as compared to something new. Of course there are semantics involved in that argument and if she’s astute to car depreciation for certain brands this could backfire.

My wife originally wasn’t keen on me buying my second Porsche but I have now successfully bought and sold several with no loss or for profit. The complaints stopped after the second one. As long as she has a garage spot I’m good.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:16 PM
Gotshotgun
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

The car specs out wonderfully. Be sure to post some pictures when you can.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:03 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

to the OP: congratulations and enjoy in good health. I just purchased my third Porsche, well it's a 2018 base model Macan and will serve as my daily driver. The sports cars are a 2011 Boxster Spyder and a 1989 951 Coupe. There was a ton of discussion in the household leading up to the Macan purchase. The discussion occurred primarily because I was going to add an air-cooled 911 or maybe a 997.2. That suggestion went over quite badly, the wife was like, why? You have 2 great ones, you don't need another and your daily driver ( 2006 Subaru Outback) sucks. After weeks of discussion she capitulated and said OK here is your budget (I won't go into details) but the allotted budget would not get me any 911 I'm aware of (have you seen, 90,000 mile 964's going for $80K!). OK there might be one out there in my allotted budget but it would need a ton of work aka $$$ and where would I keep it? The garage is full. Then I would obsess about taking care of it and I'd be stuck with the uninspiring daily Subaru. So, I flipped the script and said to my dear wife, how about a Macan as my daily? And I'll bail on a 911. She agreed after a few good discussions, etc. So, here is the Macan. Also note, I believe my wife is amenable to Porsche discussions because of the great drives we had in the summer and the fall in the Spyder and the 951. Finally, I am impressed with the Macan, a beautiful well designed and made SUV. I should've known it's a Porsche!

Old 01-15-2021, 08:02 PM
tomekz
Racer

Originally Posted by grgallo
to the OP: congratulations and enjoy in good health. I just purchased my third Porsche, well it's a 2018 base model Macan and will serve as my daily driver. The sports cars are a 2011 Boxster Spyder and a 1989 951 Coupe. There was a ton of discussion in the household leading up to the Macan purchase. The discussion occurred primarily because I was going to add an air-cooled 911 or maybe a 997.2. That suggestion went over quite badly, the wife was like, why? You have 2 great ones, you don't need another and your daily driver ( 2006 Subaru Outback) sucks. After weeks of discussion she capitulated and said OK here is your budget (I won't go into details) but the allotted budget would not get me any 911 I'm aware of (have you seen, 90,000 mile 964's going for $80K!). OK there might be one out there in my allotted budget but it would need a ton of work aka $$$ and where would I keep it? The garage is full. Then I would obsess about taking care of it and I'd be stuck with the uninspiring daily Subaru. So, I flipped the script and said to my dear wife, how about a Macan as my daily? And I'll bail on a 911. She agreed after a few good discussions, etc. So, here is the Macan. Also note, I believe my wife is amenable to Porsche discussions because of the great drives we had in the summer and the fall in the Spyder and the 951. Finally, I am impressed with the Macan, a beautiful well designed and made SUV. I should've known it's a Porsche!
You are so lucky. Spending ANY money with my wife is like pulling teeth. On one side it's a good thing knowing that we/she would never spend too much.. On the other hand it's a pain if I want something and most of the time get a NO from her. Knowing very well that should would never fully agree to allow me to buy a Porsche (or just another car in general) , I just had to do it anyway and hope she forgives me one day.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:55 PM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts
Default The wife said-

This thread isn’t going the direction the OP had hoped, but it sure is fun!
My wife was absolutely ticked I bought the Spyder before I sold my vintage land cruiser, which was the deal I had made with her. That is, until I started signing us up for some of the local tours. 17 yrs into marriage she’s suddenly interested in a car club and going on drives as long as they stop over in fabulous places for lunch! Mind you, I can’t drive the speeds I want when she’s in the car, but I love having her along finally.
She still gives me the stink eye a bit since the cruiser hasn’t even been listed, but she doesn’t mind the Porsche.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:06 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by tomekz
You are so lucky. Spending ANY money with my wife is like pulling teeth. On one side it's a good thing knowing that we/she would never spend too much.. On the other hand it's a pain if I want something and most of the time get a NO from her. Knowing very well that should would never fully agree to allow me to buy a Porsche (or just another car in general) , I just had to do it anyway and hope she forgives me one day.
"Tis better to ask forgiveness than permission.." (me) If you ask permission you get a ROS (Raft-of-Schitt) before you buy it and a ROS after you buy it. By simply buying it and skipping the permission step, you only get one ROS.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:47 AM
tomekz
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
"Tis better to ask forgiveness than permission.." (me) If you ask permission you get a ROS (Raft-of-Schitt) before you buy it and a ROS after you buy it. By simply buying it and skipping the permission step, you only get one ROS.
that was exactly my conclusion - why go through this twice...
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (01-16-2021)

Quick Reply: After two years of looking finally able to join the club