Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in cabin/floorboard/water drain area of 2014 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 04:11 PM
pwoodruff89
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise in B-Pillar/cabin/floorboard/water drain area of 2014 Cayman

The past few thousand miles I've had an annoying (mostly consistent, but stops for a day or two here and there) noise coming from behind the bottom of the passenger seat. Dealership took the seat and many interior components out as part of their diagnosis. Also removed the intake grill on that side of the car and one under body panel. They think the noise may be coming from inside the water channeling (acorn, debris, etc.) but have not been able to locate it with a borescope or pull anything out with a magnet. One idea is to leave a drain plug taken out and hope that something falls out during a turn or whatnot.

Has anyone here had something like this happen before? Noise occurs during moderate acceleration or deceleration or moderately paced left or right turns. If you hear it when decelerating, you will next hear it when accelerating/turning in another direction.

They're piecing the car back together for me today before throwing too much good money after bad (tech wasn't feeling confident on being able to find anything).

Any suggestions or similar occurrences would be appreciated.

Update: Service report attached:

Last edited by pwoodruff89; 01-18-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Perhaps a description of WHAT the noise sounds like might be useful, or a YouTube video of the sound.. without that - it would be hard to diagnose a noise.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Quilter (01-15-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 06:48 PM
pwoodruff89
Track Day

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Perhaps a description of WHAT the noise sounds like might be useful, or a YouTube video of the sound.. without that - it would be hard to diagnose a noise.
When I get the car back, I'll try to make a video or sound recording. Sounds like plastic or non-metallic hard object without the roundess of something that would be constantly moving (i.e. it's not a marble).
Old 01-14-2021, 11:52 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Curious, what dealer?
Old 01-15-2021, 11:50 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

You didn't say which interior pieces had been removed, but if you haven't done so, you might want to check the space between the carpeted engine cover and metal engine cover as well as the inside of the passenger door. Sound can travel in strange ways in these "unibody" cars.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:35 AM
pwoodruff89
Track Day

Originally Posted by TMc993
You didn't say which interior pieces had been removed, but if you haven't done so, you might want to check the space between the carpeted engine cover and metal engine cover as well as the inside of the passenger door. Sound can travel in strange ways in these "unibody" cars.
I took apart the door and the second cover behind the door panel and there was nothing. Dealer removed seat, checked under carpet.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:03 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Any chance sound is emanating from the HVAC under the dash? Common place for water to accumulate if the AC exchanger drain is clogged for some reason. Just a thought. Dismiss if you've already considered this.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:19 PM
pwoodruff89
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
Any chance sound is emanating from the HVAC under the dash? Common place for water to accumulate if the AC exchanger drain is clogged for some reason. Just a thought. Dismiss if you've already considered this.
definitely not there
Old 01-18-2021, 11:20 PM
pwoodruff89
Track Day

Here is the dealer's report. I'm trying to get a recording but it's a challenge.

Quick Reply: Noise in cabin/floorboard/water drain area of 2014 Cayman