Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anticipating electrification

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 02:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
Somehow, someway, this is going towards manual vs PDK
Almost as much fun as an oil thread. I’m surprised by the ICE vitriol towards EVs. I have three Porsches and have added a Tesla Model 3 to the stable (base model). Horses for courses. It doesn’t have to be a binary decision.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:21 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Kancamagus
GM is developing “Ultium” batteries that eliminate Cobalt from Lithium Ion manufacturing, delivering lower cost, but not lower weight/higher energy density.
K' that makes me sad. IMO anything GM touches ..is gonna be bad ..run away ..run away!!!
Just my personal opinion (especially after researching the C7 Corvette for 9 months before focusing on the Cayman).

Originally Posted by sectachrome
It’s already being developed. It’s literally a synthetic fuel that could replace gasoline.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...ic-fuel-efuel/
K' that's cool too. But won't be specific to Porsche or any other ICE car. Doesn't sound like we'll see a new chain of "Porsche" filling stations.

N' can only be made in southern Chile' due to its windy climate..? All that infrastructure down in southern Chile' and then all the infrastructure to transport this eFuel..?
N' what of the emissions from this eFuel? Says it's Methanol To Gasoline (MTG). Why not just burn the Methanol? What else will be in it that makes it "Gasoline"? (besides Temperature & Pressure?)

On its face, sounds a little fishy already. Maybe that's it! There's a special fish that is only found off the coast of southern Chile' that is required for MTG processing .

As another step towards the altar of climate change, Porsche Synth Fuel speaks to the points briefly made by xsbank and thedude .. Which is the swirling miasma we knew this thread would have to discuss.

I was thinking Power Cell with some kind of electronic handshake or watermark that would be brand specific. e.g. you couldn't take a Porsche Power Cell and put it in a Ford Fiesta.

Last edited by CaymanCarver; 12-27-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:17 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
K' that makes me sad. IMO anything GM touches ..is gonna be bad ..run away ..run away!!!
Just my personal opinion (especially after researching the C7 Corvette for 9 months before focusing on the Cayman).

K' that's cool too. But won't be specific to Porsche or any other ICE car. Doesn't sound like we'll see a new chain of "Porsche" filling stations.

N' can only be made in southern Chile' due to its windy climate..? All that infrastructure down in southern Chile' and then all the infrastructure to transport this eFuel..?
N' what of the emissions from this eFuel? Says it's Methane To Gasoline (MTG). Why not just burn the Methane? What else will be in it that makes it "Gasoline"? (besides Temperature & Pressure?)

On its face, sounds a little fishy already. Maybe that's it! There's a special fish that is only found off the coast of southern Chile' that is required for MTG processing .

As another step towards the altar of climate change, Porsche Synth Fuel speaks to the points briefly made by xsbank and thedude .. Which is the swirling miasma we knew this thread would have to discuss.

I was thinking Power Cell with some kind of electronic handshake or watermark that would be brand specific. e.g. you couldn't take a Porsche Power Cell and put it in a Ford Fiesta.

For info MTG is methanol (rather than methane) to gasoline a process developed in the 1970s. The methanol comes from a catalysed reaction of CO2 and H2. The CO2 and H2 are sourced from air and water using the wind powered electricity. Will be expensive to produce and there is definitely a bit of publicity stunt aspect. But the R&D may be useful down the road.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 01:09 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
For info MTG is methanol (rather than methane) to gasoline a process developed in the 1970s. The methanol comes from a catalysed reaction of CO2 and H2. The CO2 and H2 are sourced from air and water using the wind powered electricity. Will be expensive to produce and there is definitely a bit of publicity stunt aspect. But the R&D may be useful down the road.
Post above corrected. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:52 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 140 Posts

Methanol also has less than half the energy content of octane (gasoline)... and even to use that energy you need to boost the hell out of the ICE to make it useful in a vehicle. That's why those "alcohol funny cars" have those giant blowers on them. This makes it pretty impractical for use in a typical ICE. Not impossible, just harder... and therefore more expensive and still less efficient.

Heck, when we got forced into using gasohol here in the USA, we already lost MPGs just from that little (10%) change, and that's ethanol (which has slightly higher energy content vs methanol)... I can't imagine how terribly inefficient full methanol would be for a typical car.

Ref: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ng/octane-fuel
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (12-29-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 11:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Didn't know it was coming so soon. Thanks for the tip.

..it cost nothing to "fuel" up. Well NOT EXACTLY.

That's only true if you recharge from solar panels ..n' then is only practical if you also have the battery storage ..else you're only driving the car at night!
So the solar panels and/or battery storage and/or a 2nd Tesla to rotate driving/charging positions can add up to a lot of infrastructure costs $$$.

If you're plugging into the power grid to charge the car, another fun fact (completely over-looked), is the efficiency of the delivery mechanism (over the power lines).
Electric power transport efficiency will fluctuate with seasonal temperatures. In the hot summer months (~33% of the time) this efficiency rating will decrease to less
than half that of pump gas, which is constant at ~90% efficiency. Under the best conditions electricity only has ~70% of the transport efficiency of pump gas.

IMHO, EV's today are only a smidgen more efficient than a high mpg hybrid (e.g. Prius).

Electricity isn't free (unless solar). Somebody somewhere is paying for the costs of electricity.
If fuel cost are a consideration on what you drive than drive an EV. I don't consider gas mileage or cost for my weekend rides just fun factor. Formula E racing is a joke IMO. Boring and sounds like bees. I was given a Tesla 100d with ludicrous speed for a day of unlimited driving. I was immediately impressed by its acceleration. So effortless and a simple punch and go got me to 120 without thinking. After a number of pulls and driving around like an *** it became apparent to me how numb the car was. It had no feel or excitement other than acceleration. I was then given the keys to a model 3. Not as fast but fast enough and was IMO a better driving car. Had some road feel but not much more than any boring car built today. I only had a short drive in a Tycan turbo (Always makes me laugh) IMO a far better ride but still laking what the older cars offer and stupidly expensive. The pumped in sound track I hate to admit I preferred over the sound of tires I hear in the tesla. They even go as far as to put foam inside the tires to quiet them down as much as possible but it is still annoyingly noticeable to me and I hate the ergonomics.

Originally Posted by Kancamagus
If you dont think that a Boxster with 4WD, and close to double the torque, would be exciting because you cant “row your own”, or hear an exhaust note, then we can agree to disagree. I wasn’t focused on the 0-60 times of the Tesla either, I was imagining a Boxster with similar power delivery characteristics, which would impact performance in many other ways. Apparently Porsche’s target weight was 3550lbs. Think 991.2 S weight/performance without an exhaust note. Not exciting? Not as exciting as a 981? Really? It will be interesting to see if anyone’s perspective changes in the next 5 years...
I wanted to like the 718 when it came out over the 981. It was faster and more capable but I chose the 981 for the sound and feel. It isn't always about numbers that is easy to obtain these days. IMO there is no place for EV in the sports car world. Tesla started that way and quickly found it is about moving people from place to place and not about driving excitement. If you want to wake your 981 up throw a cobb tune or better yet I have someone who custom tunes them and an S or GTS can easily pump out 350hp without anything else and can go further with additional upgrades. More than fast enough to have fun with.

Originally Posted by thedude abides
The car world right now seems to be totally obsessed with drag races and 0-60 times, to the point where nothing else about the driving experience seems to matter except going fast in a straight line--it boggles my mind. One could argue that the 0-60 time of a car is its least important attribute.

I've driven the top of the line Model S (have yet to drive a Taycan) and yes--the acceleration is incredible. But after you've done the drag race thing a few times, it gets pretty old, mainly because it's such a small part of the overall driving experience, at least for me. The other 95% of the driving experience for me is engine noise, being intimately connected to the car by rowing my own gears--even working on and maintaining it. With EVs for me, the driving experience is totally soul-less because all of these areas are completely lacking.

For daily driving near a big city as a commuter car with lots of charging stations available, would I consider an EV? Sure. But for pure driving excitement, no way. And I have ZERO interest in the next generation electrified Boxsters/Caymans. That's why I will hang on to my 981 manual transmission Boxster S for as long as I can, because there is no better feeling than screaming around some twisties with the top down on a hot summer evening and that flat 6 wailing right behind me.

And no EV will ever replace that.
Well said!!

Quick Reply: Anticipating electrification