Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anticipating electrification

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 08:27 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

I asked for everyone’s opinion, and I am grateful for all responses. A little surprised that there isn’t more support for the concept, I mean Porsche didn’t have to do it...not all of their reasoning was based on fleet averages, or stewardship to the environment.
And as I mentioned previously, as a weekender I could just charge it at home and it would satisfy 95% of my current usage of the GTS.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:35 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Kancamagus
I asked for everyone’s opinion, and I am grateful for all responses. A little surprised that there isn’t more support for the concept, I mean Porsche didn’t have to do it...not all of their reasoning was based on fleet averages, or stewardship to the environment.
And as I mentioned previously, as a weekender I could just charge it at home and it would satisfy 95% of my current usage of the GTS.
just my guess... Porsche went 4 cylinder on the cayman and boxster because of govt regulation, but sales have not been great. So, they aren’t selling 4cy and they can’t sell 6cy (what the people want), so they are moving to EV.

I could be totally wrong, I know the Chinese LOVE EV , so....
Old 12-26-2020, 12:09 AM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tommietnk
Sounds like some people in this thread are scared of new technology, live in fear, and only consider edge cases. Let’s clear something up. Porsche will always have fans for lightweight manual ICE power roadsters. I’m sure they will somehow always have that product available in some form or another at whatever price.

With that said, there are large benefits of electrifying parts of our fleet. Who in a large city doesn’t want quiet electric garbage trucks? Or buses? There will be a tipping point where the cost of an electric version of a specific application will be far less than the ICE version. It’s just a matter of time. Take my state of Vermont where electricity prices are high compared to the south. I pay the equivalent of $1 of gallon of gas,. And that price is essentially fixed throughout the year. I didn’t buy a 500hp AWD EV for the fuel savings, but it’s a nice benefit I’ll take.
Gibber jabbering about edge cases I see. That literally has never happened to me in my Tesla nor do I expect it to. And how often do I need to visit a charger? Only when I’m doing a large trip perhaps 5 times a year? Do you also not take flights because someone might be in your window seat and may harm you when you ask to move and the plane can fall out fo the sky and so on?? Also, if the power is out, your gas pumps also do not work bud.

Should every application be electrified right now? No. It does not make sense for everything even if we had enough battery production capacity. Ever consider change can happen slowly? Did you 110 years ago complain about losing the horse to gasoline powered vehicles and the infrastructure required, and the refining, and the fuel transport instead of hay? How we bookmark this thread in 10 years and revisit. In the meantime, drive a Taycan or a Model 3 Performance for a day in real life. Not from your armchair. I bet you'll speak a bit more kindly after that.
I have driven a Model 3 Performance and a Model S (100d) (yet to drive a Taycan) and had the same feeling about both: very quick cars with tons of instantaneous torque, but very soul-less in my option. As a daily, sure, I’d consider both. But for pure driving enjoyment, I’ll take my 981 Boxster S any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

And the EV crowd loves to equate the hesitancy for us “Luddites” to embrace EV in the same way some people did not want to embrace gas powered cars over horse and buggy. This analogy does not work well, however. The advancement in efficiency, power and convenience going from a horse to a car was a MASSIVE advancement for society as a whole (although some Amish may disagree). Going from an ICE car to an EV? Not so much. In fact, with the lack of charging infrastructure, going from ICE to EV (at least right now) is LESS efficient and makes LESS sense.

Ultimately, consumers will decide (and SHOULD decide) if they want to make the jump from an ICE car to an EV. This change should NOT be a governmental dictate disguised as “doing what’s best for the planet”—as so often seems to be the case from those who worship at the altar of climate change, and then proceed to practice the exact OPPOSITE of what they preach (exhibit A: Al Gore).

As long as Porsche continues to produce fun to drive, engaging ICE sports cars for the foreseeable future, I’ll be happy.

And I may even consider a Taycan for my DD.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:04 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Personally, I’m holding out for that sweet Porsche synthetic fuel...
Ya know, that's an interesting concept ..n' one that's not entirely out of the question for the distant future.
Think "fuel/power cell" more than "synth. fuel"

Originally Posted by TMc993
N' there you have it ..for now.
Thanks for posting those links.

Two things need to get better: (1) Battery tech. (2) Charging infrastructure
For the moment, it sounds like Battery Tech has hit a wall/ceiling.

Qualcomm has been working on tech to build wireless charging capability into the roadways. Sounds like the Trucking lanes would be the first to be converted.
http://www.technologyreview.com/2017...ars-on-the-go/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...tric-vehicles/

Things to come I suppose. Wonder if we'll be around if/when it becomes reality.

In the mean-time: 0-60 in 3.3 seconds with a GLORIUS V10 roar plus Porsche like grip in the twisties.

Happy to go up against a Tesla any day. But they don't seem to want to play ..odd. Oh well.
Happy Holidays to all!

Old 12-26-2020, 12:35 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

GM is developing “Ultium” batteries that eliminate Cobalt from Lithium Ion manufacturing, delivering lower cost, but not lower weight/higher energy density.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:50 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

And Dude, of course you prefer your Box to a Tesla. Who wouldn’t? But an electric Box, one that would leave you for dead almost everywhere, just like that 3700lb pig of a 911 Turbo, might change your mind a little. Or not. But wouldn’t you want to drive one?
Old 12-26-2020, 02:16 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

It’s all about the journey, not the destination in a sports car. If rowing gears, heel/toe, hearing the exhaust, tossing the car around and connecting to it for multiple hour drives sounds good then ICE all the way.

if eating macaroni and quietly discussing politics is your thing then EV all the way!

to each their own
The following users liked this post:
sectachrome (12-26-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 02:41 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Now you are just being obtuse...that was in the Tesla. Some people think that ABS brakes, PCM, PASM, and PTV are beneficial...all “nanny” intervention technologies you, clearly, eschew.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:21 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

I never renounced electro-nannies as a whole... my point is that most of them have a time and place but also have a trade off.

My X7 came with loads of nannies that I leave on while driving because the journey is not a priority, it’s just a people mover, and the nannies make it easier. Hydraulic steering, for example, would be a b***h in a 6000lb SUV.

when driving my Spyder, I turn as much off as I can except Sport mode (because the throttle mapping is better for heel/toe).

all the nannies also have a trade off to them whether it be cost, weight, repairs, outdated-ness...

it’s a special feeling (to me) when it’s just me and the car and I control all (or most) of the inputs. The more nannies in a car the less connected I feel to it.

like I said, not everyone looks for the same thing in a sporty car. My friend has a Mode 3 performance and he told me he wanted the quickest and most tech in a car he could afford (<$60k), good for him, he loves it.. he loves eating macaroni and sipping lattes in it
Old 12-26-2020, 03:43 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts

Somehow, someway, this is going towards manual vs PDK
Old 12-26-2020, 04:33 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Ya whatever nerve triggers your “Macaroni” response, we already heard that. I wrote that to illustrate the feeling of being in a near silent 4700lb luxury car and pulling over 1 G of acceleration. I firmly plan to ban eating in the electrified Boxster, and will discourage any political discussions...

Last edited by Kancamagus; 12-26-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:25 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Ya know, that's an interesting concept ..n' one that's not entirely out of the question for the distant future.
Think "fuel/power cell" more than "synth. fuel"
It’s already being developed. It’s literally a synthetic fuel that could replace gasoline.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-ne...ic-fuel-efuel/
Old 12-26-2020, 07:46 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kancamagus
Ya whatever nerve triggers your “Macaroni” response, we already heard that. I wrote that to illustrate the feeling of being in a near silent 4700lb luxury car and pulling over 1 G of acceleration. I firmly plan to ban eating in the electrified Boxster, and will discourage any political discussions...
seriously, my ‘friend’ thought his Model 3 p was so cool like you in the 85. He pulled a 0-60 and then later did autopilot and started eating lunch just to show that he could.

i looked at him and thought ‘please god let me out’

his car wasn’t silent though. Neither was the Taycam turbo S I drove at Porsche Grapevine. Since there is no white noise from an engine, you hear every creak and rattle inside, especially in the inferior built Tesla.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (12-27-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 07:49 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

It’s already being developed. It’s literally a synthetic fuel that could replace gasoline.
“Their advantages lie in their ease of application: eFuels can be used in combustion engines and plug-in hybrids, and can make use of the existing network of filling stations.“

These “advantages” also apply to “regular” gasoline.

Certainly cool tech but massively expensive I’m sure the foreseeable future.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:48 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 296 Posts

Interesting technology but will only be very small quantities. The unique part is the carbon source is CO2 from the atmosphere via a filter type process. Which results in the fuel use being "carbon neutral" when it's burned in ICEs and the carbon emitted back to the atmosphere. F1 is also pursuing a synthetic fuel using bio waste as the carbon source to be able to claim carbon neutrality. Will be interesting to see how these both progress.

Quick Reply: Anticipating electrification