Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer Fluid Fill Warning - Rookie Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 08:24 AM
Duane Orth
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Washer Fluid Fill Warning - Rookie Mistake?

Bought my first Porsche about a week ago...'08 RS 60 Spyder (#778). I always keep a couple of gallons of the standard blue generic washer fluid in the garage, so decided to top-off the reservoir. After doing so, got the warning on the dash. Its still on after 3 days. The system is full. What to do? Is there some potential incompatibility with what was in there already?

This topic may been handled multiple times, but couldn't find via search.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2020, 10:23 AM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 360 Posts

I apologize that I can not answer your question, yet the issue is interesting...... So I'm a 981 /991 owner, to my knowledge our cars do not give a warning when the Wiper Washer Fluid is full, only when too low.

I assume the warning is a simple Dash Light? As your car does not have the TFT Screen Multifunction Display for warning messages.

I look forward to learning more when someone more knowledgeable than I replies....

Drive safe.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:49 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Let's all hope that you put the washer fluid in the washer reservoir, and not the coolant reservoir. If you made this error, you'd NOT be the first, just the first to not blame it on their girlfriend.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:13 AM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 360 Posts

..........Thinking the same, yet did not have the nerve to say it first.

If this is the issue.... blame has not yet been assigned.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Duane Orth
AutoX

The "warning" is, in fact, a text readable message on a small display below the tachometer. It reads "Fill Washer Fluid". Before I added fluid, there was no message at all. I am assuming that somehow the additional fluid caused the warning to come on since they were near simultaneous. I may be replacing the sensor. Fortunately it is not an expensive part, but is accessed through the wheel well it seems. Was looking for further advice before I start that.

Last edited by Duane Orth; 12-06-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Duane Orth
AutoX

Definitely was added to the correct access point on the right side of the Frunk (facing towards the rear of the car) near the windshield.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane Orth
Definitely was added to the correct access point on the right side of the Frunk (facing towards the rear of the car) near the windshield.
How much did it take?
Old 12-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Duane Orth
AutoX

just under 1 quart...
Old 12-06-2020, 05:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

And the light was on? Mine takes about 3 quarts sometimes almost a gallon when my light turns on. Odd. This is the visible cap on the driver's side with the wiper-spraying on the cap?
Old 12-06-2020, 06:25 PM
Duane Orth
AutoX

To clarify, my light was not on before I added fluid. I was just tinkering and decided to refill. It was after I refilled with approx 1 quart that the message "Refill Washer Fluid" came on. Yes, I was adding fluid under the blue cap with the washer symbol in the Frunk on the right side looking toward the rear of the vehicle.

I'm stumped. Sensor must be stuck in the "refill" position. Is it a mechanical (float) type sensor or electrical/electronic?
Old 12-06-2020, 08:39 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Duane Orth
I'm stumped. Sensor must be stuck in the "refill" position. Is it a mechanical (float) type sensor or electrical/electronic?
Agree it's likely a sensor problem. That said, the sensor has two metal probes so I'd assume it's looking for conductivity and it doesn't appear it can get physically "stuck".

I dunno, maybe you used distilled water and the conductivity is too low? You try adding some salt to the tank?
Old 12-07-2020, 05:47 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 512 Likes on 326 Posts

Why don't you fill it up until it's full? 1 quart is not much especially if you have the headlight clearing nozzles.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:37 AM
Duane Orth
AutoX

it is full, best I can tell. I have added until it spills over a bit. The warning message was not on when I first added. It was already near full (perhaps from its last Oct oil change service) and I was just topping off.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Agree it's likely a sensor problem. That said, the sensor has two metal probes so I'd assume it's looking for conductivity and it doesn't appear it can get physically "stuck".

I dunno, maybe you used distilled water and the conductivity is too low? You try adding some salt to the tank?
I doubt if it's a conductivity problem since he only was able to add a quart - that means there was already 2-3 quarts of conductive cleaner juice in there.

I think the only answer will be to pull the wheel well liner and look at it.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:46 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds like a coincidence with you adding fluid and the sensor going bad. Here's what it looks like with the fender liner removed. My pump had gone bad and it was leaking at the base, causing a puddle on the ground.

You can see where the sensor is based on the cable. Capacity is 2.5 liters IIRC. I know if you buy the Porsche fluid, it's designed to dispense 25 mL to be mixed with 2.5 L of distilled water, that way you can completely fill it assuming you can tolerate seeing the error message that long.

There's also an overfill hose at the top.

Quick Reply: Washer Fluid Fill Warning - Rookie Mistake?