Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a better 981 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 12:47 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
I've had similar thoughts myself. I bought a base 981 Boxster, and I plan on doing the 3.8L swap. For about $55/$60k (price for swap and buying the car) I'll have a 'budget Spyder'. Granted, I won't have the body kit, suspension or wheels/brakes, but honestly for my driving the base car is pretty darn good. I could easily swap in larger brakes and anti-roll bars. The big bonus is I'd have my electric roof vs. the manual one, and more power than the Spyder. I plan to keep the car on 19's with the single port exhaust outlet too, so it looks just like a base 2.7.

Just some food for thought
Instead of a 3.8 you could do a 4.5 and have a real sleeper right there!
Old 07-17-2020, 01:02 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 896 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
It could be argued, when you consider resale value, this isn't any cheaper than just buying a 981 Spyder.
or just get a Boxter S with X73 throw on some headers and a Cobb or Softronic tune for much cheaper than $55-60K and not lose yer *** on resale value too...
Old 07-17-2020, 04:14 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by HokieJoe
I think a pretty common mod for PASM cars is to take the x73 springs and put them on the PASM shocks for a best of both worlds situation. I haven't driven a PASM car but upgrading to x73 was the best thing Ive done to mine so far +1 for x73 all day and day.
I don't know if the X73 sway bars are bigger than the PASM Sport suspension bars. If they are, those would need to be included in this X73 transplant into PASM dampers. I know there is a Rennlist member with a 981 Cayman who has done this X73 to PASM transplant, I think Love2Turn is his user ID?? Says it works great on track and off.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:58 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 842 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
Take it easy, it was a joke.
alright then, it's free now
Old 07-19-2020, 05:33 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
It took me awhile, but I searched daily and nationwide and finally found my 981CS that was basically some alcantera bits, exhaust and front end short of a GTS and saved $20K over the next cheapest GTS on the market at the time.

mine had the X73, sports design steering wheel, 20" CS wheels and even had the GTS tail lights to my delight and surprise.....threw on a inexpensive aftermarket exhaust and I'm loving it even more now!!!

Love my 2014 981 CS

What a beauty! Saw your post on the "Anybody got PDK remorse" thread and fell in love also. Tell me, in the top pic it looks like your rims are Satin Platinum but in the bottom pic look Satin Black; which are they? This is a S correct? Enjoy! And keep me in mind if you ever want to sell

Last edited by sonicworld; 07-19-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:40 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by HokieJoe
I think a pretty common mod for PASM cars is to take the x73 springs and put them on the PASM shocks for a best of both worlds situation. I haven't driven a PASM car but upgrading to x73 was the best thing Ive done to mine so far +1 for x73 all day and day.
So could the 981 been equipped with either x73 or PASM but not both when originally built?

Last edited by sonicworld; 07-19-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:00 PM
GTR2BAR
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, I just joined and am in a similar situation, and instead of creating yet another similar thread, I figured I would piggyback on this here since it will contain similar information.

I currently have a built 900 WHP Nissan GT-R that is my track car. I've found that it's definitely an insane machine on power circuits, but more technical tracks that don't feature many long straights to take advantage of the power, the weight shows itself and I would probably enjoy a more delicate handing, precise car. I still intend to keep the GT-R, but am looking to add a 981 to the garage for that duty. I'm at a loss though if the premium of the GTS is worth it for the intended duty. Resale isn't a consideration as the moment i start ripping things out to save weight and put hard miles on it will destroy the resale anyway. Interior also doesn't matter much as it'll be gutted so I don't care for the alcantara. I don't need gobs of power, because on power based tracks i'll be running the GT-R. Launch control is also unnecessary.

With all of that in mind, does it make sense to just get a Cayman S, swap in X73, and call it a day? I don't want to go GT4 as i've been wildly spoiled by the DCT in the GT-R and prefer those now. If I get a standard S tuned on cobb, without sport chrono, without PASM since i'll be going x73 for a track only car, will there be anything that i'll regret over getting a GTS? The only thing I can think of is that the third radiator might be nice to have. If i'm missing anything or any suggestions any of you 981 owners that track often might have, i'd be very appreciative!
Old 07-19-2020, 06:57 PM
TDS
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep a well specified S is the sweet spot in these and use the leftover change to make it how you want it.👍

Old 07-19-2020, 10:11 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR2BAR
Hi, I just joined and am in a similar situation, and instead of creating yet another similar thread, I figured I would piggyback on this here since it will contain similar information.

I currently have a built 900 WHP Nissan GT-R that is my track car. I've found that it's definitely an insane machine on power circuits, but more technical tracks that don't feature many long straights to take advantage of the power, the weight shows itself and I would probably enjoy a more delicate handing, precise car. I still intend to keep the GT-R, but am looking to add a 981 to the garage for that duty. I'm at a loss though if the premium of the GTS is worth it for the intended duty. Resale isn't a consideration as the moment i start ripping things out to save weight and put hard miles on it will destroy the resale anyway. Interior also doesn't matter much as it'll be gutted so I don't care for the alcantara. I don't need gobs of power, because on power based tracks i'll be running the GT-R. Launch control is also unnecessary.

With all of that in mind, does it make sense to just get a Cayman S, swap in X73, and call it a day? I don't want to go GT4 as i've been wildly spoiled by the DCT in the GT-R and prefer those now. If I get a standard S tuned on cobb, without sport chrono, without PASM since i'll be going x73 for a track only car, will there be anything that i'll regret over getting a GTS? The only thing I can think of is that the third radiator might be nice to have. If i'm missing anything or any suggestions any of you 981 owners that track often might have, i'd be very appreciative!
If you go with a PDK Sports Chrono gives you a more sensitive throttle and separate throttle map. In auto its goals is to keep the RPMs above 4K. It also makes the nannies less intrusive and makes two of the three motor mounts "solid". You can feel the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd at WOT. A tune will get you some of these features, but not all to my knowledge.

As recommended to me I added the 911 coil pack heat shields. Just received two spare coil packs from FCP

You will need to add either adjustable LCAs or camber plates to get a track typical alignment of -2.5 camber in the front.

I put 18" wheels from Tire Rack along with Hankook RS4s. I still drive to and from the track so the Hankooks were my upgrade from Michelin PS4S.

There are highly optioned early 981s out there. I bought mine last November after shopping for a 2015-16 GTS.

2013 Boxster S PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, PSE PTV.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:35 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sonicworld
What a beauty! Saw your post on the "Anybody got PDK remorse" thread and fell in love also. Tell me, in the top pic it looks like your rims are Satin Platinum but in the bottom pic look Satin Black; which are they? This is a S correct? Enjoy! And keep me in mind if you ever want to sell
Thanks! Yes those are the Platinum Satin, they show different in photos depending on lighting....I love the unique color of the Paltinum Satin...and yes it's an S

just keep hunting and a spec like this will pop up someday

and to answer your other question, yes the 981 had - standard - PASM(10mm lower) and X73(20mm lower) as suspension options.

the 718 now has - standard - PASM(10mm) and Sport PASM (20mm)
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 03:54 AM
Pdog981
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

so NSX, there’s nothing like the X73 for the 718? Lowered, but not electronic dampers?

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Thanks! Yes those are the Platinum Satin, they show different in photos depending on lighting....I love the unique color of the Paltinum Satin...and yes it's an S

just keep hunting and a spec like this will pop up someday

and to answer your other question, yes the 981 had - standard - PASM(10mm lower) and X73(20mm lower) as suspension options.

the 718 now has - standard - PASM(10mm) and Sport PASM (20mm)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:59 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTR2BAR

My only comments are, yes, you will want the 3rd radiator which isn't that hard to do yourself if you are capable and willing. The front bumper removal is easy if you follow the right process. Some info you find online about removing the front bumper is way off from the right way to do it. And if you start without Sport Chrono, you will want the Cobb PDK tuning package ($700) that essentially replaces the PDK maps for the Sport Chrono mapping and also gives you some other good options for PDK tuning that some find useful. Sport Chrono also makes the throttle more sensitive which IMO is a gimmick and I'd rather it just stay unchanged when Sport Chrono is engaged.

Last edited by okie981; 07-20-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:02 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
To me the driving characteristics of a Cayman are much more endearing than a 911. If you need back seats, get a 911. If you want a sports car, get a Cayman. I've had several of both and for me it's no contest.
+1
Old 07-20-2020, 06:24 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pdog981
so NSX, there’s nothing like the X73 for the 718? Lowered, but not electronic dampers?
Yes

this is what my understanding of the 718 options

a base 718 only comes with standard suspension and doesn't even allow the PASM as an option

the 718 S offers PASM and PASM Sport as options, there no longer offering the X73 basically the PASM Sport replaced it.

the 718 T now offers the PASM and PASM Sport though, so you can get the base engine with the upgraded suspension

BUT, I've heard of people buying the X73 from Suncoast and putting it on the 718 with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 06:48 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

Okie981, I just read your Frank Zappa Montana Reference...Hilarious!!

Quick Reply: Building a better 981 GTS?