Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a better 981 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 10:10 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Building a better 981 GTS?

Strongly considering a 981 Cayman GTS as my next Porsche. But with the premium folks are asking over a 981 Cayman S, I’m wondering if it’s easier or cheaper to build a GTS beater via the aftermarket.
I could pick up a manual 2015/16 Cayman S for probably 15-20k less than a GTS, and that could buy a lot of aftermarket parts: coil overs, sway bars, tune, exhaust and/or headers. I’d be happy with 350 HP and a setup that would outperform a standard CS on road and track. I would miss the alacantara goodies, though.

Thoughts or recommendations? I’m sure I’m not the first to go through this mental exercise.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:54 AM
HokieJoe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

If its just performance you can get the x73 suspension that the GTS has for 1500$. Add a Cobb tune to bump hp to 350 (360-370hp if you throw in headers) for another $1300 and you will basically have the same car. I believe the GTS also comes standard with the 3rd radiator which you can also add for 1000$. Its up to you if the GTS badge is worth the extra $$ to get the interior bits and the different front bumper.

Also x73 suspension is fantastic for the price, lowers the car 20mm and the handling is perfectly balanced from the factory. This is what I did to my 981CS (minus the 3rd radiator and headers) and I couldn't be happier with the car.
The following users liked this post:
g00dparsh (07-21-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 09:14 AM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Can be very easily done. When I bought my S, I was also looking at some GTS' but the price difference didn't make sense since 80% of what you're getting can be optioned on the S (minus the 3rd radiator, extra HP, some aesthetics). Find an S with x73 suspension, PSE, and sport chrono and you're basically there. As a new car, the GTS is a good value because it's cheaper than optioning up an S, aftermarket, a highly optioned S becomes a much better value.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:39 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

There are three things on a GTS that if you want them, might be cost/difficulty prohibitive.
1) PASM - many GTS cars were built with X73, so all depends on what you want on your converted Boxster S
2) GTS interior option - lots of alcantara and leather, very few Boxster S cars were decked out with this much interior leather and alcantara
3) GTS front and rear bumper cover - bespoke to the GTS, available at any Porsche parts dealer, the front will also require a center 3rd radiator.

The GTS had PSE standard. Quite a few Boxster S cars did not, like mine. I added it for a total cost of ~$2,100 with new Porsche parts and dealer labor.

The engine performance difference can be achieved with an aftermarket ECU flash tune, with a pro tune custom for your car being the preferred method.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:43 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

In the end it comes down to effort. If costs are really upwards of a $15k premium for a GTS over an S, then there's no question you could get the requisite parts for less than that. But then comes the installation process. If you have considerable experience and enjoy wrenching, then by all means go for it. If your plan is to have someone else do the work, it probably won't be worth it in the end. It may end up costing more, depending on how much labor is involved.

There is also the concept that the GTS package is a "greater than the sum of its parts" kind of thing. It's one thing to have the exterior aesthetics, but I don't think you can get the interior package outside of finding a car with it equipped (ruling out chance salvage situations). Performance-wise there's no doubt you could build a more capable car. The ECU tune alone for example; last I recall a Cobb OTS tune netted more power gain than the GTS package.

Also as an aside, it's hard to find it documented anywhere but I've read in one place or another the GTS has a bespoke "sound symposer" system and the intake manifold is specific to the GTS. Not sure how much validity is in that though so don't take my word for it.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:45 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Also as an aside, it's hard to find it documented anywhere but I've read in one place or another the GTS has a bespoke "sound symposer" system and the intake manifold is specific to the GTS. Not sure how much validity is in that though so don't take my word for it.
The intake manifold itself is identical between S and GTS 981 cars. The only thing that changes engine performance whatsoever between S and GTS is the ECU tune. I believe you are correct that the GTS has a little tube that connects some intake sound from the intake to the little speaker box behind the driver's head (in a Boxster). Don't know where the little tube connects to the cockpit in a Cayman GTS. The S model cars have no such symposer tube connection.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:24 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

The symposer connects to the firewall behind the seats at shoulder level in both the BGTS and CGTS. To be clear, it is just a waveguide, not a speaker. I wouldn’t miss it if I didn’t have it...
Old 07-14-2020, 04:21 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kancamagus;[url=tel:16772906
16772906[/url]]The symposer connects to the firewall behind the seats at shoulder level in both the BGTS and CGTS. To be clear, it is just a waveguide, not a speaker. I wouldn’t miss it if I didn’t have it...
Stuff it with some plumber’s putty I suppose.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:03 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

I’m actually gonna stick a little acoustic foam in it just to see what it is contributing. But having driven other non-symposer cars I already know its not much... Inside, or outside, the cabin the S really doesn’t suffer an absence of aural character, especially with PSE, which is std. on the GTS. So I dunno why Porsche felt compelled to add it - maybe it was in response to all the synthesized crap coming through the speakers of those other, unconscionable, German marques.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:56 PM
ifoney
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mbintx
Strongly considering a 981 Cayman GTS as my next Porsche. But with the premium folks are asking over a 981 Cayman S, I’m wondering if it’s easier or cheaper to build a GTS beater via the aftermarket.
I could pick up a manual 2015/16 Cayman S for probably 15-20k less than a GTS, and that could buy a lot of aftermarket parts: coil overs, sway bars, tune, exhaust and/or headers. I’d be happy with 350 HP and a setup that would outperform a standard CS on road and track. I would miss the alacantara goodies, though.

Thoughts or recommendations? I’m sure I’m not the first to go through this mental exercise.
It really depends on the car you are able to find though. I was looking for an S and ended up with a GTS. Any modifications you make will lose all re-sale value, so unless you plan on keeping the car for life, that is money down the drain. GTS will probably hold it's resale value better.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:18 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 850 Likes on 446 Posts

Your money will be better spent getting a gts directly if you don't plan to hold on to it forever. I see they've come down in price a bit already, can be found in 50s with reasonable mile/shape
Old 07-15-2020, 08:23 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the insights.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:32 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Your money will be better spent getting a gts directly if you don't plan to hold on to it forever. I see they've come down in price a bit already, can be found in 50s with reasonable mile/shape
Next time you see ANY 981 GTS in the $50s, please post it. I have seen exactly one and unfortunately was specced with some tan interior, no Alcantera, and looked hideous (to me).
Old 07-16-2020, 12:47 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Next time you see ANY 981 GTS in the $50s, please post it. I have seen exactly one and unfortunately was specced with some tan interior, no Alcantera, and looked hideous (to me).
not in the market but each time I'm doing a search every 2 mon or so for fun, I def can see 1-2/several under 60, didn't check the specs tho. After all they are not that special/precious.... Actually 18 months ago I almost bought a pdk bgts with 10k miles a tad under 60k, pdk/ptv/x73, decided I don't like the x73's ride.

Last edited by Yc911Kid; 07-16-2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:48 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

And isn't there is 1 or 2 for sale here asking 5x? Def saw 1-2 like 2wks ago in for sale section

Quick Reply: Building a better 981 GTS?