Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch issue and oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 05:49 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch issue and oil leak

2015 Cayman S, 65K miles
  • First symptom about 4 months ago I noticed that in 2nd gear the clutch seemed to slip in 2nd gear under high load. I usually don;t drive this way so I didn't notice this except 12 times and wondererd if I was imagining things.
  • Recently, when I release the clutch in 1st (standing stop) the clucth sometimes jumps - meaning it initially slips for 0.2 secs and then grabs. This worsens after ~ 30 mins of driving. The slipping in 2nd gear is definitley a thing but I haven't been pushing it. My supposition is fluid on the clutch.
  • And then yesterday - low oil level. It was completely full 6000 miles ago.
At first I was hoping that this is the clutch slave cylinder leaking, but now my guess is a rear main seal leak onto the clutch. Any other ideas?

I have some time coming free in 2 weeks so planning to order a clutch kit and get stuck in. Some questions:
  • Before getting parts for no reason I need to have a good look at the area. Is an oil leak easy to see from outside the clutch housing?
  • I can't seem to find a write up for this. Is the procedure for the 987 on Pelican parts adequate for the 981?
  • Are there any serious challenges to this job not identifed in the 987 procedure?
  • Any special tools required? Flywheel lock maybe....
  • Does the flywheel need to be replaced if there is oil on it? Or should/can it be resurfaced?

Old 06-21-2024, 10:09 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 252 Likes on 92 Posts

When reading your writeup, my thought was the clutch slave cylinder also. Although I would think that would affect all gears, but so would your oil leak theory. Maybe it is doing it in all gears, but because you are not pushing it as hard in the upper gears, you aren't noticing it?
I replaced my transmission last year. I looked for videos of the job and could only find ones for the 986 and 987. The job was very similar to what those showed. There weren't any surprises that I wasn't expecting except it had a heat exchanger that wasn't on the older ones. It took me 12 hours to do the job. I had my dad there to help with a few parts as needed, but if need be, one person could do it. I replaced the clutch at the same time so that came with the alignment tool needed. I didn't replace my flywheel. I would guess that yours could be cleaned if it has oil on it. I was told not to resurface it, just replace if needed, but at 65k miles, it should be fine. My car also had 65k miles at the time I did the job. I don't remember anything like a gasket that would seal the oil between the engine and transmission, if oil was getting in there, I think you would see it below the car. Maybe you could loosen the bottom three bolts from the trany to the engine and see if anything seeps out.

Here is a link to when I did the job. Sorry, but it isn't a detailed description of the job.
https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...l#post18827514
Old 06-24-2024, 07:05 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Now I need to schedule some time!

Quick Reply: Clutch issue and oil leak