Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981S Sport Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 10:32 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelscain
Also I did a before video of the PSE exhaust with the stock headers and will do a after video of the FVD sports headers and post the videos on the site. That way you can hear the difference. I will get back to you.
Thank you. I very much look forward to that video.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:05 AM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I may be the exception here but I got the pops and bangs deleted when I got tune. Never really cared for the forced overrun with In burnt fuel. Gets old quickly.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:57 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M///
I may be the exception here but I got the pops and bangs deleted when I got tune. Never really cared for the forced overrun with In burnt fuel. Gets old quickly.
interesting....I'm not sure why you would need to remove it. if you have the Sport Plus button and PSE fitted. You just press the button to remove the pops and bangs.

Tobe honest for a long drive after a while it does become abit annoying, but on a short B road blast, when your in the mood for it, you cannot help but smile.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:14 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

interesting....I'm not sure why you would need to remove it. if you have the Sport Plus button and PSE fitted. You just press the button to remove the pops and bangs.

Tobe honest for a long drive after a while it does become abit annoying, but on a short B road blast, when your in the mood for it, you cannot help but smile.
I have the GTS. There is no way to remove it. It’s prevalent in sport, sport plus and somewhat muted in normal mode but still there especially on aggressive downshifts regardless of mode. I made up my mind when following my own car driving a buddy’s GT3. Hearing it from the outside it was absolutely obnoxious.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:35 PM
michaelscain
Instructor

Originally Posted by ///M///
I have the GTS. There is no way to remove it. It’s prevalent in sport, sport plus and somewhat muted in normal mode but still there especially on aggressive downshifts regardless of mode. I made up my mind when following my own car driving a buddy’s GT3. Hearing it from the outside it was absolutely obnoxious.
Ok, that's strange you cannot turn it all off. I can switch all the bangs and pops off. Maybe its setup different on the GTS to the S.

I have the following mods/options; 6 Speed manual, PSE sports exhaust, FVD sport headers, FVD ECU tune, BMC Sport Filters, PASM, PCM Sat Nav, Blue Tooth, 20 gig hard drive, BOSE, Sports Chrono pack, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Sports Design Wheel, Sports Plus Seats, Porsche Logos on head rests and GTS rear lights.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:46 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

I have the following mods/options; 6 Speed manual, PSE sports exhaust, FVD sport headers, FVD ECU tune, BMC Sport Filters, PASM, PCM Sat Nav, Blue Tooth, 20 gig hard drive, BOSE, Sports Chrono pack, Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Sports Design Wheel, Sports Plus Seats, Porsche Logos on head rests and GTS rear lights.
My car is similarly set up to yours sans FVD sport headers, FVD ECU tune, BMC Sport Filters, PCM Sat Nav, Blue Tooth, 20 gig hard drive, BOSE and Sports Chrono. More reason to look forward to your before/after videos.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:11 PM
michaelscain
Instructor

Originally Posted by storii
My car is similarly set up to yours sans FVD sport headers, FVD ECU tune, BMC Sport Filters, PCM Sat Nav, Blue Tooth, 20 gig hard drive, BOSE and Sports Chrono. More reason to look forward to your before/after videos.
Ok, Here you go

*Please note: The car was taken for a 30 mile drive before each video.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:05 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Ok, Here you go

before sports headers

after sports headers
Honestly not digging the raspy tin can’ish sound that’s creeped in with the headers. More apparent when valves are closed.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:57 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Ok, Here you go

Thank you for sharing. It is hard to determine whether the headers increased the absolute volume of the exhaust sound from the videos. Judging from the volume of your voice, it seems to me that, in the before video, the microphone might have been closer to the car and/or directed straighter to the exhaust pipes than in the after video. This might have contributed to make it sound like the exhaust sound level was higher (as in louder) before the headers. The headers definitely changed the tone of the exhaust sound, though. I think the higher frequency gets more pronounced with the sport headers and make the car scream/wale harder like a race car under hard acceleration which I like very much.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:36 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Thank you for sharing. It is hard to determine whether the headers increased the absolute volume of the exhaust sound from the videos. Judging from the volume of your voice, it seems to me that, in the before video, the microphone might have been closer to the car and/or directed straighter to the exhaust pipes than in the after video. This might have contributed to make it sound like the exhaust sound level was higher (as in louder) before the headers. The headers definitely changed the tone of the exhaust sound, though. I think the higher frequency gets more pronounced with the sport headers and make the car scream/wale harder like a race car under hard acceleration which I like very much.
No worries, Yes i can confirm that the sport headers are much louder than the stock headers at high rpm.

The sound quality and tone of the FVD Sport Headers are much better in real life than the poor quality videos i've uploaded to youtube.

When you record sound using your iphone and then upload videos to youtube sound quality is always lost.

For Example if you uploaded the best Ferrari V12 engine sound in the world to youtube using your phone, it would never sound anything as good as actually standing next to the engine.

And this is true for the sports headers, i must admit, the header sound better when bouncing off walls, for example when you here the car going thru a tunnel at full rpm, it sounds absolutely bloody amazing! Also for this reason I could never own a 718 turbo 4 cylinder engine.

Finally we are lucky we can enjoy these magical flat 6 engines before electric vehicles take over the world.

Enjoy and good luck deciding on the headers.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:54 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

No worries, Yes i can confirm that the sport headers are much louder than the stock headers at high rpm.
The sound quality and tone of the FVD Sport Headers are much better in real life than the poor quality videos i've uploaded to youtube.
When you record sound using your iphone and then upload videos to youtube sound quality is always lost.
Thank you for confirming the louder sound that sport headers can make in real life. I can fully understand that the sound of YouTube video just doesn't do justice.
Finally we are lucky we can enjoy these magical flat 6 engines before electric vehicles take over the world.
I can't agree more!

I have another question for you. According to your post in a different thread about a year ago, it appears that you had gone for the FVD tune before you added the FVD sport header at this time. Did the tune alone make any difference in the exhaust sound at all? I'm wondering if an aggressive tune alone would make a car a bit louder.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:02 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Tune won't change engine sound in any detectable manner. Headers do in a very positive way though
Old 06-25-2020, 11:43 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Hi Storii,

yes I had the FVD tune a year ago and that made a night and day difference to the power going from 315 to (Claimed) 352 hp. But the sound did not really change very much from stock. Although rpm limiter was raised on the car to 7900 rpm.

FVD sent me second tune file for FREE when i ordered the Sports Headers.

After installing the Sports Headers I updated the ECU using the second FVD tune file. This provided me with another (Claimed) 16hp .
But the Sports Headers make the difference to the sound of the engine.

When you buy the FVD ECU tune, they also provide FREE tune files for every additional modification going forward. So if you add for example the IPD plenum and GT3 TB or Sports Muffles in 6 months time, they will send you a free updated ECU tune file to install which makes use of the new modification.

Of course you also keep all your original tunes files on the FVD MyGenius device so you can go back to stock tune if required.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:41 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Hi Storii,

yes I had the FVD tune a year ago and that made a night and day difference to the power going from 315 to (Claimed) 352 hp. But the sound did not really change very much from stock. Although rpm limiter was raised on the car to 7900 rpm.

FVD sent me second tune file for FREE when i ordered the Sports Headers.

After installing the Sports Headers I updated the ECU using the second FVD tune file. This provided me with another (Claimed) 16hp .
But the Sports Headers make the difference to the sound of the engine.

When you buy the FVD ECU tune, they also provide FREE tune files for every additional modification going forward. So if you add for example the IPD plenum and GT3 TB or Sports Muffles in 6 months time, they will send you a free updated ECU tune file to install which makes use of the new modification.

Of course you also keep all your original tunes files on the FVD MyGenius device so you can go back to stock tune if required.
Thanks again! If I ever do a tune, I've already decided it will be FVD. I think the fact they write programs for factory cars separates them from all the rest.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:31 PM
edmaverik
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks again! If I ever do a tune, I've already decided it will be FVD. I think the fact they write programs for factory cars separates them from all the rest.
Same here! I am about to pull the trigger to purchase the FVD flash.

Quick Reply: 981S Sport Headers