Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981S Sport Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 01:40 PM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

I went with BBI.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:44 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Thanks again! If I ever do a tune, I've already decided it will be FVD. I think the fact they write programs for factory cars separates them from all the rest.
They're a decent deal in the US but at this end what bothers me about them is that they charge you more at the source (Germany/EU) before any taxes. They don't need to ship anything across an ocean nor give the US distributor a cut and yet I'd have to pay 12% more? Screw that.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:52 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by edmaverik
Same here! I am about to pull the trigger to purchase the FVD flash.
Very cool. Any breathing mods (intake, headers and exhaust) on your car? Is it a 981S?
Old 06-26-2020, 12:02 AM
604IS350
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ///M///
I went with BBI.
How's BBI's tune? Is there much of a difference from your current tune?
Old 06-26-2020, 12:45 AM
9Gyarah
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 604IS350
How's BBI's tune? Is there much of a difference from your current tune?
I just got it. Still in the data logging and tweaking stage.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:00 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, so I have a little 2.7 liter. I found a used IPD plenum and an 82mm throttle body for half price. Added the FVD software for a noticeable performance increase. I'm not a track rat but would like to be. Time will tell. I know the S is detuned but, how about the base. Are there any base owners out there that have added headers and what were the results. I did find a set of used Cargraphic headers and mufflers for an exceptionally reasonable price and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger. I would love to have the FVD headers but $4k is not in the budget.

This thread is a couple years old so I'm hoping I can find someone to jump back in. TIA dlbehrns

P.S. Pedro/Garage tells me the base is the best bang for the buck because you get 100 hrspwr for every liter. Can I get over 300+ ponies?
Old 12-30-2020, 05:43 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Ok, so I have a little 2.7 liter. I found a used IPD plenum and an 82mm throttle body for half price. Added the FVD software for a noticeable performance increase. I'm not a track rat but would like to be. Time will tell. I know the S is detuned but, how about the base. Are there any base owners out there that have added headers and what were the results. I did find a set of used Cargraphic headers and mufflers for an exceptionally reasonable price and I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger. I would love to have the FVD headers but $4k is not in the budget.

This thread is a couple years old so I'm hoping I can find someone to jump back in. TIA dlbehrns

P.S. Pedro/Garage tells me the base is the best bang for the buck because you get 100 hrspwr for every liter. Can I get over 300+ ponies?
Not as much as the S, but the 2.7 Boxster is still detuned so that the Base Cayman can make +10 hp. Someone data logged the 2.7 and found that the throttle body was only opening to 55-65% of its capacity although the ECU was commanding 100%. He installed the FVD tune and now the TB is opening 100%.

Since you already have the IPD plenum and the FVD tune, I'm not sure how much more you can gain by adding 200-cell sport headers and possibly the aftermarket exhaust. They should definitely help, but I don't know how much. One thing I know is that the headers and the exhaust (providing you don't have PSE on the car) will vastly improve in the sound department. My car, with the FVD sport headers and the PSE, sounds incredible at 6000 rpm and above. The headers add the bass in the low range and make the car wail at the high end. BTW, you need to have FVD modify the tune once you added the headers and the exhaust to take full advantage of the mods. They will do this for free if you bought the headers/exhaust from them. Otherwise, there will be $200-300 charge. Since you already bought the FVD tune, you may qualify for their "loyal customer program" with which I got a 15% discount on the headers.

With the sport headers, free-flow exhaust, IPD plenum and a good tune, I have no doubt that the 2.7 will make over 300 hp.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:18 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. I found a set of Cargraphic headers and mufflers. The headers have a blown CAT. I suppose I could pickup that up on the cheap and have the cats removed but......I like the fact that FVs are 2.5". Cg is only 2".
Old 12-30-2020, 07:57 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
I found a set of Cargraphic headers and mufflers. The headers have a blown CAT. .
Do you know if the car was tracked? If so, the other side is questionable also.

If you decide to go with the modifications you listed and want to know what the gains are, get a reliable baseline dyno and a post mod dyno with the same controlled conditions.

PM me if you want to know how to set it up and get reliable results.

Last edited by A432; 12-30-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:53 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

I'm sure they were raced and got really hot. that's what blew the one in the first place. I would have to get them really cheap and remove both CATS. Kinda the same thing as the FVD sport headers w/cat bypass.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:39 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
I have no doubt that the 2.7 will make over 300 hp.
Do you have any dyno chart to back up that claim?

Quick Reply: 981S Sport Headers