Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Used 981 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 01:45 AM
knightfader
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question General Used 981 Questions

Hi all,

I've done a fair bit of reading on my own about the 981 Boxster/Cayman but I wanted to ask some questions myself and maybe get some more up to date responses as some of those threads have aged. I'll be looking in the near future for a Boxster/Cayman and had a few questions that have been nagging at me.
  • If I had to choose between a Boxster S and a base Cayman, which would be the better choice?
    • I'm hoping to get a get a chance to drive both before making the final decision, but I figured I might be able to get someone to chime in that might have had previous experience with both. I definitely enjoy the look of the Cayman more than the Boxster, but have driven vehicles like 911 Cabs in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them with the top down - so I honestly wouldn't be opposed to a Boxster.
  • I've read that the 981 is surprisingly reliable, especially when compared to the previous generation 987s, but was looking to get some more recent feedback from people with higher mileage ones and the issues they might have encountered.
    • e.g. I found a 2016 Cayman with 81k miles on the clock; is there anything that would be overly concerning about buying one with mileage like that if I plan to keep the car for at least a few more years?
  • Going off of my last question about higher mileage offerings, how mandatory is something like an aftermarket warranty (I'd most likely be looking to buy the car private party)? Any specific ones you'd recommend?
    • For reference, I live in the Southern California area.
  • Anything I should know about earlier year offerings compared to later year offerings? Or anything that would significantly steer me away from earlier year models compared to the later ones? I read about some headlight delamination and windshield laminiation issues, were those common only in early year models or throughout the 981 generation?
  • How is reliability if I decide to get a tune on a base model Boxster/Cayman? Although the numbers a tune add wouldn't reflect the difference between the power outputs between the base and the S models, is it a good compromise or does it feel lacking? Which tuners should I be keeping an eye on?
  • I've looked over some spec/option PDFs and have picked out some options that I know I'd like to have (things like the SportDesign steering wheel, PDLS, sport exhaust, PCM, Sport Chrono), but as an owner, what options do you think are must haves (and vice versa, which ones aren't as big a deal as they seem to be)?
  • I really like the SportDesign steering wheel, but if I were to get one without it, how hard would it be to get that wheel fitted into the car after? Is it completely ridiculous and cost prohibitive?
    • If you do get the SportDesign wheel retrofitted, how do you control the display in the gauge cluster?
  • I noticed three audio options (Sound Package Plus, Bose, Burmester) - how large is the difference between them?

Some other minor details:
  • I'm fairly sure I'd be going PDK, not manual.

I realize that a lot of these questions look like they can be answered by Google searches - and I have done my fair share of searching. Despite that, I still feel that there's nothing like getting direct up to date answers and hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes too much. Any other details that I might not know about the ownership experience would also be appreciated Thanks!

Last edited by knightfader; 06-05-2020 at 12:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by knightfader:
arr0gant (06-10-2020), M. Schneider (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Oldchuck
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Knight, I am sure folks will comment given some time. Your post is involved so may take experienced owners some thought. I do not have too much experience but will say a bit.
I have a 2016 Boxster GTS that just turned over 5,000 miles so I can not comment on long term reliability. I did not consider the Cayman as most folks either want the top down experience or they do not.
The GTS is very quiet either with top up or down so would not let that be a factor. There are some convertibles (yeah I know) that are quieter than their metal roof counterparts due to noise bouncing off the metal roof and creating some harmonic distortion but will let some Cayman owners speak to that. As I said, the Boxster is quiet and can not be beat with the top down on those nice summer days and fantastic nights.
I started looking for a 981S specifically due to the six and love the sound of the flat six over 6,000 rpm. Looked at the 718's but the flat 4 turned me off even though it was faster. As I said, was looking for a S as I did not want to be disappointed and say "I wish I had". This GTS with 3,400 miles appeared six months ago and jumped on it. I would have been happy with a S but the sport chrono is nice and love the sport exhaust. Coming from American V8's have to have some sound. Would have liked a manual but none with low mileage presented themselves however the PDK is phenomenal and have few regrets.
AS I said, low mileage and warranty for me was a deciding factor. I knew P cars were expensive to repair. Did not want a huge bill for engine or tranny. There are many here who would not worry about that but at my age of 73 did not want to start tearing the car down to do the repairs. As I said these cars can get expensive to repair. When it is close to expiration of warranty in 3 years will have to make a decision.
However if you can get a good enough deal on a higher mileage car then a repair will not be so bad. I know some of these cars with regular maintenance can go well over 100,000 so perhaps I am too concerned about the warranty. So far, I love the car. Very comfortable with the 18 way sport seats but some have said over a few hours can get confining. I am smaller so not a big issue.
Not sure of the term but have the steering wheel with no controls on it. Love it as I like simple. There is nothing to hit by mistake and can do any feature through the menu or on the touch screen as i have Nav.
I have the upgraded Bose auto( Not Burmeister) but it is very good. The smaller cabin may effect it but compared to most cars and the E class my wife has it is just about as good. However have heard the basic audio unit is lacking and also heard they are a pain to change out. Given that this is a GTS I have most of the features you mentioned and think they are nice but some do not think all are necessary as it is personal preference. As I said, do like sport chrono and sport settings. Sport plus is too intense for the street but will get your attention.. Mine has full leather and looking back could have done without it. It does look very nice and for the price you would expect that however, I am constantly worried about nicking or scratching it with watch or nails. Being black it shows nicks. I am a tad OCD about my cars and that really bothers me and could have been happier with regular vinyl. Again, personal preference.
Have rambled on too much and most likely was not specific enough so will close and give others a chance.
The following 3 users liked this post by Oldchuck:
knightfader (06-04-2020), M. Schneider (06-04-2020), RKCarl (06-09-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 10:38 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

I'll pick and choose here. I've owned a 2015 BGTS and currently own a 2016 Boxster Spyder. Sold the BGTS with about 25K miles and Spyder just turned over 5K so I can't comment on long term reliability. Have had no major issues/repairs with either.

Must have options for me were Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) and heated seats. If interior is full black leather, I'd add ventilated seats to that; not so much if Alcantara (actually, IDK if you can even option vent seats w/ Alcantara). On the Spyder, I replaced the Alcantara with a black/red/white houndstooth which I really like. Spyder has rear view camera; GTS didn't; I'd say rear view camera is a must as even with top down, rear viz is very poor.

Both of mine had Bose system, which was fine for me. Burmester seems like overkill for a convertible. Ask 100 people about what sound system they prefer and you'll get 100 different answers. I'd say "get what you like" but the reality is you'll find a buggy that checks most of the things you want but for the sound system, and you'll have a decision to make at that point. Interior noise level much lower with GTS than Spyder (weight saving on Spyder with single ply roof). I actually have never been in a Cayman but have been in a friend's GT4 and, to my ear at least, the engine sound seemed louder in the GT4 than it did in either of the Boxsters I've had. Guessing that the GT4 probably has less sound insulation than Cayman; I know Spyder has less than Boxsters. Engine sound may be a good or bad thing to you.

The only tune/performance mod I've done is swapping OEM exhaust headers for CarGraphics Sport headers. Interestingly, the headers fit/worked on both 3.4 L GTS and 3.8 L Spyder. I did some research and it seemed like the best bang for the buck was in the exhaust headers, especially since I picked mine up lightly used from a fellow Rennlister. I have not done before/after dyno testing so have no objective data to share. I will say I like the sound more (after already loving the stock PSE sound). My personal opinion is that other things like ECU tunes, intake manifold swaps, etc. are not that cost effective on an NA engine/vehicle (turbos are a different beast). Again, my personal opinion and definitely not putting myself out there as an expert.

Last edited by DrBillyD; 06-04-2020 at 11:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrBillyD:
knightfader (06-04-2020), M. Schneider (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Oldchuck
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2016 BGTS does have back up/front camera as well as heated and cooled seats. As DrBilly stated they both were must haves for me as well and would recommend. They could be options as most things on P cars. You can look up the options on each car by the VIN. Some things are available as add ons and some not worth the trouble.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oldchuck:
knightfader (06-04-2020), M. Schneider (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:08 PM
PRNDL
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Re. Boxster vs. Cayman; For me, it was mostly about coupe vs. top-town. My decision was that the top had to go down. Your mileage may vary.
Re. long-term; Like most German cars, the interior and trim is lovely but tends to return to nature after about 5 or 6 years. Porsche is the last to put their hand up when they send a car out with trim design problems. See: door panel caps, headlight cover failure, windshield failure, etc. So fixing it (if you choose to) is on your nickel.
Re. early vs late: *Very* early 981s had an infotainment system that can not be updated to the current PCM OS. Later systems (help me out here about when this changed. Early 2014?) have PCM systems that can be updated to stay current.
Statistically, the cars are very, very reliable. But if something *does* go wrong, whooo-eeeee! Keep your home equity line of credit active.

Last edited by PRNDL; 06-08-2020 at 12:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PRNDL:
knightfader (06-04-2020), M. Schneider (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 12:35 AM
knightfader
AutoX

@Oldchuck , @DrBillyD , @PRNDL , thanks all of you guys for your responses. Really can't beat hearing first hand experiences about this car and it makes me all the more excited
Old 06-05-2020, 01:03 AM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Having lived through (sort of) a 2002 911 C4 cab with hard top, I am not as enthusiastic about convertibles. Not dissing those who are. Convertibles are awesome if you don't have to look good when you get there (or don't have hair). My wife thought same: she was excited to get a convertible and then hated arriving looking like she'd just been in a windstorm. Not every woman can pull off a Natalie Wood scarf.
The soft tops are hard to keep clean, especially in areas with the dreaded cottonwood tree, or dandelions. They can also be squeaky and have lots of rattles, although this was more of an issue with the hard top on my C4. If you live in the north, driving with the top down is only really possible for 3-4 months per year.
Also, if you have aspirations about going to the track then the soft top is not as good.
Just thought I'd offer a few comments to balance the viewpoint about soft tops. I might even get another one someday. But for now: loved my C4 cab but love my '16 Cayman S more. Peace to you all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quix:
knightfader (06-05-2020), M. Schneider (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 01:13 AM
knightfader
AutoX

@Quix Totally understandable; thanks for chiming in! I live in sunny Southern California where it'd be perfect for... well, the majority of the year. I can understand both sides. I typically swing towards coupes more than convertibles, but having put some mileage on a friend's 991 911 Turbo S with the top down, there were definitely a few times where hearing the flat 6 scream behind me in the open air really amplified the experience. So I figured I'd keep my options open.

I would probably take the car to the track, but nowhere near enough to be considered a regular thing - car would be mostly a street/canyon machine.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:25 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by knightfader
... car would be mostly a street/canyon machine.
I consider my 981 the PERFECT STREET/CANYON MACHINE.

Keep up on the maintenance and the car is EXTREMELY reliable.
If you can wrench a little bit and DIY, the maintenance can be VERY affordable.

Target a September purchase of a CPO car.
Stick with your plan for a PDK, in manual mode ..it'll absolutely blow your mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanCarver:
knightfader (06-05-2020), M. Schneider (06-10-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 12:56 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I like the look of the Cayman better myself, but performance wise, the car was originally designed as a convertible. The Boxster is already incredibly stiff, handles like a dream. You get some benefit out of the hard-top, but not that much and probably not noticeable on the street. Someday I dream of having a purpose-built 4.0 987 track car - it would be a Cayman. But both that I have owned so far for street and occassional HPDE have been soft-tops. I would go S all the way, just my opinion, I like the extra pull. Steering wheel swaps are easy, but yes you have to be concerned about functionality. Reliability is fantastic, PDK is fantastic. Must haves for me are PSE or after-market equivalent. The sound is amazing. Sport Chrono is another one, likely a PSE car already has it.
The following 2 users liked this post by daylorb:
knightfader (06-06-2020), M. Schneider (06-10-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 04:13 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 132 Posts

I can answer this as we owned both vehicles.

I would never buy a non S the performance difference as well as the brakes for me justify the difference.
The Boxster and the Cayman are they the same year?
We had the Cayman S 1st and it was a manual no issues with it. Next was the 2015 Boxster S great car but suffered the door panels separation while under warranty.
Both the Cayman and Boxster handle very well with a very slight edge to the Cayman. The Boxster top doesn't rattle as someone said its rock solid with no noises you would swear you in a hardtop.
My wife turned out not to be a convertible fan and I turned out to be one. In the end the Boxster S is still in our fleet of Porsche vehicles with no plans to sell her.
PS I would try and get the Sport Exhaust it makes the greatest sounds I have heard even compared to my race cars. Only negative is the Top does develop some wear marks see photo all tops have them.

Best of Luck
Ian

The following 2 users liked this post by flyjets:
knightfader (06-06-2020), M. Schneider (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 09:51 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a Cayman S. Certainly at this time of year I sometimes question my decision to get the Cayman. I would love the convertible on beautiful spring days.
Ultimately my decision came down to wanting to get serious about track events, which is harder to do with the Boxster (some event organizers and some tracks have very strict convertible rules).
The Boxster may be a hair slower around a track, but if you aren’t going to the track it offers the same driving experience of the Cayman with top down spring driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by Four Ring Circus:
knightfader (06-07-2020), M. Schneider (06-08-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:40 PM
arcangelxvi
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all,

I've done a fair bit of reading on my own about the 981 Boxster/Cayman but I wanted to ask some questions myself and maybe get some more up to date responses as some of those threads have aged. I'll be looking in the near future for a Boxster/Cayman and had a few questions that have been nagging at me.
  • If I had to choose between a Boxster S and a base Cayman, which would be the better choice?
    • I'm hoping to get a get a chance to drive both before making the final decision, but I figured I might be able to get someone to chime in that might have had previous experience with both. I definitely enjoy the look of the Cayman more than the Boxster, but have driven vehicles like 911 Cabs in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them with the top down - so I honestly wouldn't be opposed to a Boxster.
  • I've read that the 981 is surprisingly reliable, especially when compared to the previous generation 987s, but was looking to get some more recent feedback from people with higher mileage ones and the issues they might have encountered.
    • e.g. I found a 2016 Cayman with 81k miles on the clock; is there anything that would be overly concerning about buying one with mileage like that if I plan to keep the car for at least a few more years?
  • Going off of my last question about higher mileage offerings, how mandatory is something like an aftermarket warranty (I'd most likely be looking to buy the car private party)? Any specific ones you'd recommend?
    • For reference, I live in the Southern California area.
  • Anything I should know about earlier year offerings compared to later year offerings? Or anything that would significantly steer me away from earlier year models compared to the later ones? I read about some headlight delamination and windshield laminiation issues, were those common only in early year models or throughout the 981 generation?
  • How is reliability if I decide to get a tune on a base model Boxster/Cayman? Although the numbers a tune add wouldn't reflect the difference between the power outputs between the base and the S models, is it a good compromise or does it feel lacking? Which tuners should I be keeping an eye on?
  • I've looked over some spec/option PDFs and have picked out some options that I know I'd like to have (things like the SportDesign steering wheel, PDLS, sport exhaust, PCM, Sport Chrono), but as an owner, what options do you think are must haves (and vice versa, which ones aren't as big a deal as they seem to be)?
  • I really like the SportDesign steering wheel, but if I were to get one without it, how hard would it be to get that wheel fitted into the car after? Is it completely ridiculous and cost prohibitive?
    • If you do get the SportDesign wheel retrofitted, how do you control the display in the gauge cluster?
  • I noticed three audio options (Sound Package Plus, Bose, Burmester) - how large is the difference between them?
So, to answer some questions:

1. It's largely preference as far as body style goes; I overwhelmingly prefer the appearance of coupes vs convertibles (and I'm a climate where half the time i'd be top-up anyway) so it was an easy choice for me. One thing to note is that the rearward visibility is pretty poor in a Boxster compared to the Cayman.
2. From what I can tell, that's more or less true. What I'd definitely check for is service records and what major services have been performed / are coming up. As always PPI, PPI, PPI. With a DME report.
3. No opinion here, my car still has a factory warranty in place.
4. Not sure.
5. From what I've seen some people say, the 2.7 is maybe incrementally more reliable than the 3.6. I'm not really sure how much I believe that, but in general all the vanilla motors from the 9A1 family are known to be pretty stout.
6. PDLS / SC / Updated PCM would be the priority IMO as they're impossible to add after the fact. At least with PDLS you lack the proper connectors / harness in non-spec'd vehicles. You can "easily" add in the SportDesign wheel & PSE. It'll just cost you.
7. Easy, but kind of pricey. Besides that, I'd personally go with the newer Multifunction wheels. Much more attractive and more functional. You'll need an aftermarket adapter to bridge the wheel to the older wiring, but my understanding is that it's pretty easy.
8. My friend has Burmester in his Cayenne. Sounds pretty good, but the car is well insulated on the inside. The Cayman... is not. It's one of the loudest interiors of any car currently available. With that said, i'd think Burmester is kind of pointless but that's up to you to listen and decide, especially at speed.
The following users liked this post:
knightfader (06-06-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 12:02 AM
knightfader
AutoX

Originally Posted by arcangelxvi
Updated PCM would be the priority IMO
How do you check for this?
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-10-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 12:22 AM
arcangelxvi
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you check for this?
My understanding regarding the PCM is there's two factors: which physical unit exists in the car, and which software revision you have.

Physical differences are easy enough to determine; you can figure out which version it is based on the buttons that are just below the screen. Depending on which PCM unit is in the car, you get different features. If I remember correctly, the base PCM doesn't have BT (which is ridiculous). As far as software is concerned, I don't remember at all how to check it, but you can definitely do it "easily" from inside the car. In general it's not as important but there are some aftermarket additions you can pursue only with newer revs on the PCM software.
The following 2 users liked this post by arcangelxvi:
knightfader (06-08-2020), M. Schneider (06-08-2020)

Quick Reply: General Used 981 Questions