Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:27 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0001
That was me. Its quite simple. In short just buy on ebay the a switch panel and modify your own by rearranging/ adding the sport plus cover plate.

Then you need a PCM sport chrono activation code. Use a piwis 2 in E mode and add the code in the pcm menu. Now go to the menu for switch and recoding locations and enable the sport plus and confirm. In instrument cluster menu recode to on everything with g force.

Now you should have sport plus, throttle blip, launch control on pdk and g force. Actual sport chrono on pcm/ instrument is not available but who cares!
Just curious on how you got an activation code? I did this on my 09 PDK and install was strictly dealer. Your experience tells me all the software and instrument panel messages are already in the car and just need turned on and the appropriate buttons added. If a car already had or added PSE (and PASM) is it safe to assume the Sport and Sport+ also would control them? As mentioned Sport Chrono also controls the PADM, motor mounts. I just purchased a 2013 BS and Sport Chrono was a must have for me. I never quite understood why Porsche doesn't offer the upgrade like they did for 09-12.

2013 BS PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, PSE, PTV
Old 03-20-2020, 08:56 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by forestial
As someone who is in the market to buy one of these cars, it would be disturbing to learn that this is possible. Seems open to nefarious purposes (not implying anything about your question) on the part of unscrupulous sellers. I guess the VIN cannot be manipulated.
VIN cannot be manipulated. My 981 is a GTS as per Porsche, all the documentation, car specification, Carfax, window sticker, badging and kick strips. Yet when I power it up, it says Cayman S on the screens and it annoys me.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet
VIN cannot be manipulated. My 981 is a GTS as per Porsche, all the documentation, car specification, Carfax, window sticker, badging and kick strips. Yet when I power it up, it says Cayman S on the screens and it annoys me.
Great question for someone with a PIWIS. As I understand it what works and shows is coded and shows in PIWIS. As discussed when you added Sport, Sport+ in PIWIS it turns on instrument panel messages plus controlling other related options like PADM, PASM and PSE if equipped.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:23 AM
peterfrans
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to re-code a 981 S to have 981 GTS splashscreen in the instrument cluster and PCM? I have PIWIS II.
This is actually quite simple (my boxsterS now has a gts splashscreen):
1. go to kombiinstrument (my piwis in configured with german language)
2. go to codierung anpassungen
3. go to codierung ohne MCR-regeln (entwicklung)
4. select Kodierwert: Codierbyte 3 Fahrzeugvariante (about 1/3 through the list)
5.f12
6. pick the Boxster GTS from the dropdown in Wert column and write with f8

Old 06-07-2020, 06:06 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Thank you for the info. I seem to be missing Step 3 - the part with 'go to codierung ohne MCR-regeln (entwicklung)'

Under Codierung Anpassungen, I have : Fahrzeugbeschreibung Produktschlüssel F82CA - Cayman / Cayman S

but I can find nothing about codierung ohne MCR-regeln (entwicklung).

If I select GT4 in the Produktschlüssel, it takes me to another screen where I can select 981 GTS from Codier Wert, then I can write the values, but they don't stick, the car comes up with Cayman S again.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:23 PM
peterfrans
Intermediate

One thing I forgot to add the I have Piwis in development or E mode (entwicklungs mode). I did not change the produktschlussel. Hope this helps
Old 06-07-2020, 06:56 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Thanks, I found a video how to switch to Developer Mode by going through Settings - Diagnostic Config - Other Model Lines - Mode - Operating Mode.
Change mode from P to E

After doing this, I don't still don't see Step 3?

Last edited by SpawnyWhippet; 06-07-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:02 AM
peterfrans
Intermediate

Thanks, I found a video how to switch to Developer Mode by going through Settings - Diagnostic Config - Other Model Lines - Mode - Operating Mode.
Change mode from P to E

After doing this, I don't still don't see Step 3?
Strange, just checked again and see below for the steps (sorry for quality of the pics, literally screenshots).

control unit list

instrument cluster

1st option, coding without mcr rules

option fahrzeugvariante

current value, boxster gts

drop down list

new value coded, boxster s

result
Old 10-07-2020, 11:32 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

I managed to find the list inside 'Manuelle Codierung ohne MCR-regeln (entwicklung) where you have the Kodierwert: Codierbyte 3 Fahrzeugvariante, but that entry is missing from my list. (I have Piwis v17.5 if that makes any difference?)

If I select 'Manuelle Codierung mit MCR-regeln (entwicklung)', I can change the splashscreen between GT4, Boxster, Cayman and Cayman S, but any other selection I make either gives me a large blue ? instead of splashscreen,or it remains on the previous selection. Cayman GTS is present, but if I select that, it makes no changes.

Last edited by SpawnyWhippet; 10-08-2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:03 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I have to ask, how do you manage to navigate your way around when everything is in german lol
Old 10-08-2020, 02:46 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Ich kann Deutsch ;-)

Last edited by SpawnyWhippet; 10-08-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:39 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 172 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by absoluteczech
I have to ask, how do you manage to navigate your way around when everything is in german lol
take a picture and use Google Translate app.
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (12-02-2022)
Old 10-08-2020, 06:20 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Ich kann Deutsch ;-)
that works then

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
take a picture and use Google Translate app.
good idea!

1 last question. where did you purchase your piwis cable from? i see varying prices for them
Old 10-20-2020, 06:50 PM
alvarof124
1st Gear

That was me. Its quite simple. In short just buy on ebay the a switch panel and modify your own by rearranging/ adding the sport plus cover plate.

Then you need a PCM sport chrono activation code. Use a piwis 2 in E mode and add the code in the pcm menu. Now go to the menu for switch and recoding locations and enable the sport plus and confirm. In instrument cluster menu recode to on everything with g force.

Now you should have sport plus, throttle blip, launch control on pdk and g force. Actual sport chrono on pcm/ instrument is not available but who cares!
HI i have a 981 2.7 boxster , Do you have any video instruction to do the sport chrono retrofit, how i can get the PCM activaction code, and o yu know a store to buy a piwis OEM
Old 11-08-2020, 05:57 PM
fvazgarcia
1st Gear

hi, can you share how to obtain the code? Also, is this something a newbie can do?

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S - Adding Sports Chrono Package