Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:49 PM
charlesr
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default good show

Just bought my second cayman, a 2014 with 19k miles for $40k. white with minimal options (PDK, sport exhaust, bose) but the car is great. handles better than my 987.2 and more comfortable. the power seems low (no torque, keep revs up to go fast) but a true flat six (screams). I have owned a porsche since 1985 and I my opinion the base cayman is a fantastic car and the base model has a great

detuned motor. I remember in the latte 1980's when they offered turbo look 911. a 930 without the turbo. heavy duty motor pushing less hp is a good thing for a street car. cayman base seems the same equation to me.
The following users liked this post:
fwpilot (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 PM
fwpilot
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KBell
Clears turn signal.
Nice window tint.
When people tint windows, they also do a protective film.
Check it again. I bet it has a front clear wrap.
Looks like the prior owner was a enthusiast.
Yes indeed. It has film on the front bumper, hood and side door mirrors. Not quite sure if they applied to front fenders too.
The car is a beauty and can wait to take delivery this weekend.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:26 PM
fwpilot
8th Gear

Originally Posted by manifold danger
No it is not, but these engines are among the top 5% of any car of any time period when it comes to sound. May as well take advantage of that.

You don't have to get an OEM Porsche Sports Exhaust; there are plenty of worthy aftermarket options to consider as well.

As for the car itself, I certainly don't think it was anything close to be in consideration as a lamentable decision. I kind of feel like $40k is the going rate for a clean, well taken care of example of a 981 with a factory warranty to boot. Of course the S is going to have more power, bigger brakes, etc., but that doesn't diminish the fact that the 981 as a platform is an exceptional driver's car. Enjoy and don't look back.

Welcome to the Porsche family!
Thanks for your advice. I will definitely take a look on the after market once I decide for some mods. For now I just want to enjoy a good spirit driving.

I’m very happy with the purchase, I just was in the market for something else when the Cayman became available. At the end I was able to negotiate about $2k and bump the warranty an additional year.

Saludos!!!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:28 PM
fwpilot
8th Gear

Originally Posted by charlesr
Just bought my second cayman, a 2014 with 19k miles for $40k. white with minimal options (PDK, sport exhaust, bose) but the car is great. handles better than my 987.2 and more comfortable. the power seems low (no torque, keep revs up to go fast) but a true flat six (screams). I have owned a porsche since 1985 and I my opinion the base cayman is a fantastic car and the base model has a great

detuned motor. I remember in the latte 1980's when they offered turbo look 911. a 930 without the turbo. heavy duty motor pushing less hp is a good thing for a street car. cayman base seems the same equation to me.
White brings this car to another level.

Enjoy in good health.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:16 PM
JohnC88
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I say you got a good deal and should feel really good about it! I got my 14 S in October with about 28k miles, Sport Chrono for a little over 47k.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:19 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 358 Likes on 226 Posts

Congratulations! We love our 981!

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Quick Reply: My first Porsche