Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Winter storage, cover, tire protection, battery, other?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 10:17 PM
MarkM13
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trickle Charger Recs?

Great thread. After 20 years of pining and waiting I got my first Porsche last August. Boy was it a happy day.
Not looking forward to being w/o it over the winter but it's just a fact of life living in New England.
Anyway, several posts mention trickle chargers which I'm shopping for. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 11-01-2020, 01:20 AM
Barry100
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM13
Great thread. After 20 years of pining and waiting I got my first Porsche last August. Boy was it a happy day.
Not looking forward to being w/o it over the winter but it's just a fact of life living in New England.
Anyway, several posts mention trickle chargers which I'm shopping for. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
I have the Porsche official trickle charger. It is just a repackaged CTEK unit you can get from Amazon.

Since I switched to an Antigravity battery, I got the CTEK Lithium US Smart Charger 4.3A.

I have the appropriate battery tracker on the battery. It sends the charge info to my iphone.

On the 981 lay the charger cord on the edge of the plastic door sill nameplate right where it ends, see pic.

Trickle charge cord routing.

Porsche's always have a half moon shape somewhere on the bottom of the door, to allow a trickle charger cord to go into the car, with the door closed.
The following users liked this post:
Road Surfing (11-04-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:13 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry100
Added a 250 watt IR spotlight
regular spotlights now don't make any heat. It appears I don't need the slider switch on a very high setting to get enough heat.

Must keep the Jeep Grand Cherokee and 987 Boxster S nice and cozy in the winter. I won't drive the Porsche when there is salt on the roads.

Barry, please explain what in the world you're doing with a singular IR heat lamp. We used to use heat lamps to keep food warm on a buffet, but I can't imagine this doing any good for a car. Do you have plans on eating food on the car? lol

Please enlighten us!
Old 11-01-2020, 11:25 AM
Barry100
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Barry, please explain what in the world you're doing with a singular IR heat lamp. We used to use heat lamps to keep food warm on a buffet, but I can't imagine this doing any good for a car. Do you have plans on eating food on the car? lol

Please enlighten us!
It is an attached two car garage. That one bulb, not even at full power (slide switch), raises the temp by 10 degrees fahrenheit.

I think I will add another bulb on the Jeep side of the garage. I want those cars to be nice and warm when the snow comes!

Quick Reply: 1st Winter storage, cover, tire protection, battery, other?