Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Chronicles of the Black Caiman

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 10:32 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Looks like you're in Oceanside area?
we should do a Palomar run soon.....also there was a cars and coffee on Sunday at Pala Mesa Golf Resort hosted by CPR out of Fallbrook, so lots of Porsches there. Every third Sunday of the month if you can make it the next one.

My pics are from roads in Fallbrook!

I went to a classic car / restomod meet Saturday morning in Fallbrook.
Cool bunch of guys but they were not into the Viper so much. Still was a cool meet up.

Then drove the Viper on one of our new loops.. was a very interesting experience compared to the Cayman. Both awesome!

That CPRClassic meet looks more like it, we'll add it to the book. Thanks!

Then apparently on Sunday afternoon two people got killed at the end of our 2nd new loop.. at Reche Rd. and Old Hwy 395. Very sad.
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...brook/2265265/
Guess the driver ran out of talent. Can't go back to that loop for a while.

Bring on Palomar.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:55 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 402 Posts

wow! That's right near the Cars and Coffee....wondering if they were there that day. Sad
Old 03-02-2020, 11:04 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Good times this weekend.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:13 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
A little Cayman ****.

Finally re-did the pic above with the spoiler up! Was kind of a grey morning.

Ahh much better.

Still loving the exhaust notes from the GT Muffler mod! From any aspect, such a sweet tail!

Last edited by CaymanCarver; 06-26-2020 at 05:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanCarver:
Cayman292 (06-20-2020), FutureCaymanGuy (01-03-2021)
Old 12-04-2020, 04:28 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Default KMNCRVR

So after an extremely long hard slog ..finally got my custom plates!
Ordered 'em back in March 2020 ..got the notice they finally arrived at the DMV about a week ago.
Thanks CovID b.s...

After the DMV visit from hell ..finally got 'em!

Looks like the rear tires have just about been rubbed out. Fronts still look great.

So long Pirellis. Time for some new tires!

The following users liked this post:
FutureCaymanGuy (01-03-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 03:33 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Maintenance update to the Chronicles thread!

Summary for the busy people:
* New Tires - Continental ExtremeContact Sport+ => they're freakin' awesome! The more I drive 'em the better they get.
* Oil Change => Stuck with LiquiMoly MolyGen 5W40 ..my Cayman LOVES this stuff!
* Brake Fluid Flush => Went with Motul 600 RBF Dot4 ..which I had a stock of.. Brakes feel even better!
* New Coolant Fill Cap => was showing signs of evap. residue.
* New Battery => Took one for the team and got the H8 size. Works just fine.

Now for the blah blah blah...

New Tires!
The original PZero's that came on the car were about five years old and had ~20K miles on 'em.
The rears got rubbed out pretty good and well ahead of the fronts (how did that happen?! ). => front/back tred wear is not so even on the Cayman.
Regardless, the PZero's impressed me on this car (other cars ..not so much) ..which made me think that just about any tire would do well on the Cayman.

Recently, the Viper community was gifted with a new tire choice ..which is great because there aren't many to choose from.
Enter the Continental ExtremeContact Sport Plus tire. Also available in sizes for my Porsche Cayman.
Glad to have the opportunity of my own real world test before mounting them on the Viper.

So had the Conti's mounted on the Cayman about three weeks ago and have been driving the snot out of 'em ever since.
Tred widths were increased slightly to 245front – 275rear.

First impressions were:

They're not too soft ..definitely not too soft, which has been a critique I've heard about the Michy-PS4S's.
On the thumbnail test ..the tred face is just a smidgen harder than the Nitto Invo's (which are on the Viper).
There's no discernible tred wiggle like the Nitto Invo's.
Grip is more immediate and more pronounced than the Nitto Invo's.
They feel very planted and maintain comm's with the road.
They're definitely a major step up in grip from the PZero's.
They have a significant/pronounced rim guard bead-lip built into the tire ..must have IMO.

I made a point to test drive a stretch of road that caused my old Toyo R888's (on the Viper) to tramline like crazy-bad.
The Invo's solved the issue but so do the Conti's on the Cayman. => So far, no tramlining on the Conti's.
Btw, the Cayman is only 200lbs lighter than the Viper. IMO they handle a lot alike.

In terms of air pressure.. they took more time to settle than expected ..I was checking and adjusting the air pressure daily for about a week. All is well now.
The business of checking tire air pressures hot v.s. cold was discussed recently in this thread. LINK
Because of experiences at the track (checking and adjusting air pressure in between every session) ..I moved to making adjustments when the tires are warm with the goal of maintaining a +2psi diff favoring the rears.
I shoot for 30psi-front and 32psi-rear. IMO with TPMS readings at a glance I think it changes the game a little bit. I also realized that heat from the engine has a more profound effect on the rear tires.
FWIW, learned that when cold the rear tires end up being +1psi over the front tires.

One week after they were mounted (after a little break-in), attacked some local twisties and in terms of GRIP these Conti's reminded me more of the Toyo R888's than the Nitto Invo's.
IMHO they're a tamer version of the Toyo's. Would venture to say they have 75%-80% of the Toyo kind of grip. Which is awesome ..here's to hoping they don't age like the Toyo's.
Yesterday attacked a local mountain road in a variety of wet-dry weather conditions and was amazed at the performance. At times in the slightly wet, found myself saying "this isn't smart" ..but the tires never let go ..not even a little.

Also, the sidewalls are obviously stiffer and the pitch-n-roll experienced with the PZero's is gone ..so no further need to consider upgrading the sway bars.
Maybe felt a tiny bit of pitch in the quick turns back and forth ..but that was it. In the big sweeper turns the car just felt planted (almost like the Viper). [edit: I think this is relative to how yo enter the turn ..will likely add the GT4 sway bar anyway]

The more I drive these Conti's the better they get.

I dig the way these tires look and the car has been getting more attention since they were mounted.

Oil Change
Had 4,964 miles on the current oil (LiquiMoly MolyGen 5W40) but it was 1 year old. Yikes!! Can't have baby doll driving on 1 year old oil!!
So it was off to Gearheads Garage for a refresh of the LiquiMoly MolyGen 5W40. She loves this stuff!
We went through the usual slow motion top up procedure to get the green bars of the electronic oil level gauge just where I want them.

Brake Fluid Flush
The brakes have felt fine but the fluid was over-due for a complete flush. So did the job last Sunday night with my trusty MightyVac and a liter of Motul Dot4 600 RBF.
Didn't do the ABS pump cycle because I wasn't exactly sure when to execute the procedure with the Autel scan tool. But that detail has been worked out in this discussion. LINK

Coolant Fill Cap Replacement (Water Pump & 3rd Radiator)
Started hearing a slight rat-a-tat-tat sound from the front of the engine after the cold start that would disappear at operating temps (guessing when the thermostat opened).
This made me check the coolant level and discovered it was a little low AND there was some residue around the fill hole.
So thanks to the forum, replaced the cap and topped it off with a little distilled water. All better now.
The rat-a-tat-tat sound is not as loud but is still there when cold and goes away as soon as the thermostat opens ..but makes me think the waterpump is talking to me.
So in the not too distant future will replace the waterpump. Right now plan to go OEM unless I hear about a better option. Also will plan on adding a 3rd radiator in the process.
Not sure if I'll go OEM Porsche or LN Engineering for the 3rd radiator. Need to do a little more research.

New Battery
Pretty basic situation. Original battery was 6 years old and wanted to avoid an inconvenient event while out and about on the road.
Ended up with an H8 size battery, which is larger and heavier than the original H6.
Took one for the team on this this one ..was discussed in more detail on this thread LINK.

Baby Doll is just hummin' and absolutely ripping up the mountain and canyon roads like she was built for it ..because she was!!!

Last edited by CaymanCarver; 06-02-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:06 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Palomar Mountain today.
Once again experienced a variety of weather conditions ..but happy to say the new Conti's continue to amaze ..they just never let go.

Drove thru some clouds ..soggy, wet roads.

Gave way to a very cool mist.

Love seeing this road sign AND dry road!

Some beautiful scenery and empty twisties. Wooohooo!

Made it to the Observatory and the end of the road.

The run down the mountain was almost exactly the same.
Car is running like a Swiss Watch.

Quick Reply: The Chronicles of the Black Caiman