Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried to DIY a splitter on a 981?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Anyone tried to DIY a splitter on a 981?

I'm looking for a splitter that will work with my dual duty 981, but most commercial offerings that are real splitters and not just cosmetic tend to also have some kind of vertical spacer to drop the splitter down closer to the ground. My car is slammed between the KW V3's, the LCA's, and running big caster, so my little rubber things on the sides of the bumper are already only 1" off the ground. Obviously, those already scrape all the time and it's fine bc they're soft rubber bits. The hard parts are quite a lot higher than that, so I currently do not scrape the plastic.

With the car as low as I have it, I can't handle dropping the splitter 2"+ (via spacers or whatever). I think I really just need something to go out horizontally without lowering it at all, if I can make that work with the curvature of the bumper, alumalite or something.

Anyone tried this? Other ideas? Thanks for reading.

PS: I'm planning on a GT4-sized wing, hence the need for substantial downforce up front.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

I did notice that Getty makes a "street" splitter for 981 that looks like it would work, but it may not be aggressive enough to really change airflow a lot. I've seen zero reviews or pics aside from their thumbnail on their website, so not sure. I emailed them.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:25 PM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

#sfactorfabrication (Instagram) can make a custom front splitter for front, sides and rear.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:59 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9~factor
#sfactorfabrication (Instagram) can make a custom front splitter for front, sides and rear.
Thanks. I'm not seeing any Porsche's on his (your?) insta except his personal GTS, which has a diff. bumper shape. If he can mold up a 981CS splitter with little to no rise spacing I'm game if the price is right. I'm in TN, so not close enough to use my car for it.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:01 AM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve been on the hunt too and the only splitter that I’ve seen would work for street and doesn’t look heinous is the TWL carbon splitter. But it’s so expensive for just a single carbon piece.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:14 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khoahtran
I’ve been on the hunt too and the only splitter that I’ve seen would work for street and doesn’t look heinous is the TWL carbon splitter. But it’s so expensive for just a single carbon piece.
Yeah, I also don't want something expensive and fragile-ish like CF anyway. I'd prefer ABS or alumalite or something else with some give so it won't take as much damage from inevitable scrapes and bumps. Seems like there's a market for a streetable splitter that provides aero, but I can't seem to find one out there. It seems like a somewhat difficult DIY just due to the curvature of the 981 fascia, unless maybe you utilized the stock rubber air dam as part of the thing...
Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

One of my friends has a Cayman race car built by BGB. It uses a very nice wing and splitter from Getty. That’s how I plan to go eventually.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:23 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Getty makes good stuff for sure. I just can't use their normal race splitter or 3 piece splitter with my ground clearance (unless I trailered, which is not happening). The street splitter would probably work ground-clearance wise, but not sure it would provide enough DF.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried to DIY a splitter on a 981?