Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping a 981 outside?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 01:09 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Keeping a 981 outside?

Kicking around the idea of adding a boxter 981, problem is I’m out of garage space.
My corolla that would be replaced takes a pretty good beating exposed to the elements, mainly because there are two large trees close to the driveway.
Car covers I’ve had in the past were a real pain to put on and take off.
Anyone park theirs outside that has some tips on attempting to protect it? I’m concerned with the black convertible top sitting all day in the hot summer sun. Can the top take it? Tks
Old 04-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,620 Likes on 681 Posts

If you park it outside, the best way to protect it would be to build a garage over it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
Arione (07-12-2024), ElCid86 (07-11-2024)
Old 04-19-2019, 02:05 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

So when you live in Germany you get new perspectives in life. One such is garages. They aren't the norm in Germany, and it's cold and wet there--a lot. Germans favor carports over garages so the car, when wet, dries out quicker. Having a wet car inside a garage I'm sure takes a toll on advancing corrosion and rust comparatively. So having a roof overhead is ideal, but the walls are debatable. Personally I do like the security garages bring, and I try to not drive my Porsches in the rain, so not a problem for me. On the flip side, you see a lot of Porsches in Germany. Many sitting parked on the sides of streets. When living there I would often think to myself that Porsches (often 986s and 996s) don't really hold up well over time. Most cars I'd see looked pretty aged. How 981/991s fare against older models is up for debate. Probably better. Being parked at night in a garage is one thing, and many of those spend their days outside. Depending on where you live, the sun is also a factor. Boxster tops exposed to constant sun is surely going to age it much faster. If the car has full leather the dash will need protection when the car is parked, assuming you're like me in you want to keep things like-new as long as possible. As for parking outside, my recommendation is to not park under trees no matter how hot it is. Tree sap and bird poop are worse in my eyes than the affects of sun exposure. Keep the skin and roof well protected to the point of over-protected. That reminds, me, I need to wax my cars!!
Old 04-19-2019, 02:07 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Could always buy you a big Bro Dozer to go with it and just park it over the 981 to protect it.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:08 PM
Type_A
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is a car canopy an option?
Old 04-19-2019, 02:11 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Dont park under trees, if it ever gets salt on it, rinse it off immediately, ceramic coat the car and use a high grade protectant on the top. It'll take more of a beating than if garaged for sure, but if you stay on top of at least spraying it off and detailing it every so often, it won't be too bad. It's a car afterall.

Mechanically, it should be fine. Your resale value is what will take a beating, because there will be more pristine examples out there for sale.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:15 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
Kicking around the idea of adding a boxter 981, problem is I’m out of garage space.
My corolla that would be replaced takes a pretty good beating exposed to the elements, mainly because there are two large trees close to the driveway.
Car covers I’ve had in the past were a real pain to put on and take off.
Anyone park theirs outside that has some tips on attempting to protect it? I’m concerned with the black convertible top sitting all day in the hot summer sun. Can the top take it? Tks
I only have a carport. You HAVE to stay on top of it and you'll be fine. I spent the day Clay baring and and using Optum MDR + Pinnacle black diamond coating + Carpro Reload + Beadmaker. She hasn't been this dialed in in some time. Due to me not keeping up with her for about 5 weeks, she had some bad water/mineral spots from the pollen and a lot of rain. She does live under a carport and I usually clean her and then indoor + outdoor cover. Yes I am OCD. When I wash at least 2x a month she cleans up quick and easy but I also have full PPF and ceramic coat + use good products to take care of her.

With the top. Get some Raggtop and you'll be good. Apply semi annually. Because I am off the wax and Sio2 based, That also helps the top stay fresh. A foam cannon and pressure washer for washing help keep it looking new and I use fabric softener from time to time also.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:13 PM
CW987
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have a garage either, just a driveway. Its also under a huge tree that is not on my property. I've owned my car for three years and managed to keep it looking mint by washing it 2x a month and using a Silverguard car cover. The cover is soft on the inside so unless you put it on a dirty car, you wont have to worry about scratching. The only downside is really windy days, I don't keep the cover on. Then after use a quick detail spray, then put cover back on. Its a pain sometimes but rather deal with this than not have a Porsche at all.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 PM
kage65
Racer

Originally Posted by Type_A
Is a car canopy an option?
This would be ideal, but I doubt the neighborhood association would go for it.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:24 PM
kage65
Racer

Originally Posted by vbb
Dont park under trees, if it ever gets salt on it, rinse it off immediately, ceramic coat the car and use a high grade protectant on the top. It'll take more of a beating than if garaged for sure, but if you stay on top of at least spraying it off and detailing it every so often, it won't be too bad. It's a car afterall.

Mechanically, it should be fine. Your resale value is what will take a beating, because there will be more pristine examples out there for sale.
It would not be directly under any trees, but these trees are close enough that the wind blows its petals and so forth and they are able to make it onto my corolla sometimes.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Everything on the car is replaceable. Replace the top in a few years and keep it waxed. Life is too short to drive a corolla every day.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:25 PM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Everything on the car is replaceable. Replace the top in a few years and keep it waxed. Life is too short to drive a corolla every day.
What's a corolla???
Old 04-19-2019, 06:34 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Would something like this be an option for you? The sails are pretty cheap from Lowes/Home Depot..

The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (07-11-2024)
Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Everything on the car is replaceable. Replace the top in a few years and keep it waxed.
This. It's just a car. Park it outside and wash/wax it once in a while.

Top is the part most likely to wear. If that worries you and you don't want to deal with replacing it then get a Cayman.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 PM
kage65
Racer

Originally Posted by MrMoose
This. It's just a car. Park it outside and wash/wax it once in a while.

Top is the part most likely to wear. If that worries you and you don't want to deal with replacing it then get a Cayman.
Whats the cost of replacing it?

Quick Reply: Keeping a 981 outside?