Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 boxster spider vs 2016 911 cab s

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 08:13 AM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I meant speed yellow, lol. Yellow is super hard to find. Gonna call the dealer this morning. Just need to get a PPI done on it.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:22 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

That GTS is racing yellow — would have to have been PTS for SY. Speed Y is warmer. RY is colder, more “neony”. Yellow is one of my favorites too. Wish they didn’t replace SY with RY.

Looks like a great GTS. Maybe negotiate a CPO in the deal if it’s a Porsche dealer. Ask them why it’s not a CPO. Post pics. Good luck with the PPI.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Not a Porsche Dealer. Car fax shows it went into service at 14k miles, could it have been a press car or demo?? Also is the x73 an optional suspension??
Old 04-13-2019, 09:51 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Not sure what it means that it “went into service” at 14k miles. Was it not titled and had the warranty started before that? 14k press or demo miles would be rough. I hope you can drive and see the car in person before you buy it.

PASM was standard on GTS. X73 was a free option. PASM costs more than X73 (I think about 2x more) on a base/S 981. If you have some rough roads like we do here in the NE, you may find the PASM very useful, like I do on my 987.1.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just took the Spyder out for a dance this morning. It had been a while - so much F U N !
Old 04-14-2019, 12:26 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxdr1965
Not a Porsche Dealer. Car fax shows it went into service at 14k miles, could it have been a press car or demo?? Also is the x73 an optional suspension??
little bit mysterious history. i think you can pick up a cpo similar specs for 3-5k more.
i paid 68 for very similar but 2016 with cpo six months ago.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxdr1965
When does CarFax show the in service date? You’re earlier post shows the warranty started 10/14 so that will tell you if it was a press or dealer car prior to being sold. Either way it shouldn’t have any rattles and it should feel tight.

I agree with others, try to get your eyes on it if you can to confirm its condition. Have a Porsche dealer do the PPI and ask if it can be CPO’ed.

It is very well optioned and the PTV and X73 are the hot ticket for the suspension.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
................. feel like I'm not nuts or overly effusive in my praise of the 981 Spyder and they help validate how, I suspect, the vast majority of Spyder owners feel about their cars.
Roger that!

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
................ I personally think more power may ruin the Spyder since it was and will be designed as a street car. If more power makes it break traction more than it does currently, then that may not be ideal. ..............
I doubt it. As we know, Porsche is extremely good at tuning a model for specific applications. I expect GT4 and Spyder to maintain their respective focus (track, street) not withstanding the fact that the Spyder is likely to be a GT. But, we'll see!

I see we both have 2007 MV Agusta F4s. I've owned mine since new, and got in Germany in summer of 2007 (US spec). I'm actually going to sell it. Red/silver, factory race ecu, race pipes including mid pipe, factory alcantara/ostrich seats, and mint w/low miles. ............... If you know anyone who wants perhaps one of the best examples they'll ever find at lower than most I see advertised, have them contact me.
(Sorry, off-topic; look away)
Sure, will let you know if I know of anyone looking for a first gen F4. I've all of your mods and more. Why are you selling it?
I've the same color scheme, classic MV theme!
Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

I see we both have 2007 MV Agusta F4s. I've owned mine since new, and got in Germany in summer of 2007 (US spec). I'm actually going to sell it. Red/silver, factory race ecu, race pipes including mid pipe, factory alcantara/ostrich seats, and mint w/low miles. Have all the stock parts. Just got it back from being serviced so it's mechanically perfect, and is cosmetically perfect too. Would easily eat Suitcase's 911R haha. If you know anyone who wants perhaps one of the best examples they'll ever find at lower than most I see advertised, have them contact me.[/QUOTE]

I ride motorcycles too. Your MV is just beautiful. And I concede it will easily smoke my R. For me it's not always about speed. That's why I love the Spyder and my 964 Speedster. My favorite 2 wheel ride the last few years has been a 1976 BMW R-90S. Besides being slow, the brake technology was developed in ancient Rome. But on back country roads it's been so much fun.

PS. Good luck with selling the bike. I was even thinking about it!! But no trade for the 911R.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Love, love, love the F4. The riding position was too aggressive for my old bones so I ended up with a Brutale 750 and got a taste of what you F4 guys have experienced.

Was so sorry to see MV not go with quad pipes out the tail on the send-off F4 Claudio. To me this is such an iconic feature when you think of an F4 and I thought the Claudio should have reverted back to this classic design to honor Tamburini (although they did do the Tamburini tribute model).

Old 04-15-2019, 02:55 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
(Sorry, off-topic; look away)
Sure, will let you know if I know of anyone looking for a first gen F4. I've all of your mods and more. Why are you selling it?
I've the same color scheme, classic MV theme!
Yours looks just like mine less the wheels and my windscreen is smoked. I also changed my seats but have all the original everything. Well when I returned from Germany in 2009 I just found riding here not any fun. I was too used to speeds that aren't achievable in the States, and I had a 15 odd mile (??) road (not autobahn) to the border of France (Kaiserslautern to Pirmasens) close to my house which had the most amazing sweepers and I could go out for an hour of fun every evening. Bet I put 4000 miles on that short stretch in essentially 2 summers. Brought a Ducati to Germany, sold it, and then bought my bike from a dealer in Charlotte NC and had it air freighted. The local MV Agusta dealer put on the factory exhaust parts and race ECU at the first service. Really woke up the motor and got rid of that terrible roll-on stumble at city speed limit cruise speeds which was so annoying. My bike has 6600 miles currently, all of which but maybe 500 were in Germany. I just ride it periodically to keep it operational. I did take it to 195mph in Germany, legally! It's very fast.

I was at the MotoGP race yesterday, and thought I should have ridden it there and slapped a for sale sign on it.

Also sorry for the off topic break.... But hey, more people get to see your bike again!!
Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, Taxdr1965 has already made his choice and possibly pulled the trigger. So, he wouldn't mind a little off-topic that is equally entertaining to gas-monkeys!

Love, love, love the F4. The riding position was too aggressive for my old bones so I ended up with a Brutale 750 and got a taste of what you F4 guys have experienced...........
Hear ya, Nick. The first gen F4 is pretty brutal with riding posture. During the start of each riding season, I've to go through re-adjusting the body! And, I'm pretty fit! The damn thing is brutal, sexy and entertaining, all at the same time! And, here is the Brutale for ya!

MV Brutale 1000 Serie Oro

Was so sorry to see MV not go with quad pipes out the tail on the send-off F4 Claudio. To me this is such an iconic feature when you think of an F4 and I thought the Claudio should have reverted back to this classic design to honor Tamburini (although they did do the Tamburini tribute model).

Completely agree; a F4 without the organ pipe exhaust is a blasphemy!! Totally wrong! Sadly, that is history. F4 has been discontinued. Rumored next gen (F7) will be completely different.

................... I did take it to 195mph in Germany, legally! It's very fast.
I was at the MotoGP race yesterday, and thought I should have ridden it there and slapped a for sale sign on it.
Damn! That's fast! I may have seen 150. Yes, the bike at a MotoGP event with a sale sign may have helped.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:19 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Damn! That's fast! I may have seen 150. Yes, the bike at a MotoGP event with a sale sign may have helped.
That was a top gear roll on from about 130 mph which was a pretty normal autobahn cruising speed in unlimited sections. That particular section, right in front of Sembach air base. was flat and straight but the whole unlimited section was only a couple of miles. It didn't take but seconds to get to that speed and I even passed a few cars and lorries which I'm sure startled them briefly. I felt if I lifted my head any at all it would have pulled me off the bike. When I got home both my OEM rear turn signals were missing the amber lenses and the reflectors and bulbs were dangling by the wires. The bike is very planted at high speed. So much faster than any Ducati at the time. I often wonder why MV seemed to miss out on popularity, although in Germany there were quite a few dealerships to visit and all with very competent service departments. While there I had the recall work done such as the coolant impeller and radiator fans.

The best part of riding in Germany is that all speed cameras are aimed at the vehicle front. I got flashed many times but without a front license plate there's no way to determine who you are. Bikes can speed pretty much unchecked. Here in the States if I were to go 80 mph I start to worry about my license. Sucks the fun out of it comparatively.

Oh, I think I voted Boxster Spyder? Definitely the more fun car if you enjoy driving dynamics. If big purses are involved, the 911 cab is better unless the passenger is ok with a purse between his or her legs.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 PM
Taxdr1965
Instructor

Actually still in dilemma. Looks like 2015-2016 Boxster GTS with 20k miles going for about $60k. All have the x73 suspension. Should I be concerned about it being too stiff. I live in NY and the roads suck. Hard to find GTS with just pasm, or is it not that much difference between the 2 suspensions.

Also look at 2017 used 718 boxster S with like 2k miles that I might get for $67k, original msrp almost $91k. Its also Miami Blue. How would you compare the boxster gts vs 718.

Then I thought i can get a 2014 boxster s with low miles for about $40k, but most dont have pasm or sport exhaust.

How much difference in all 3 cars?? Cheaper car you save $$$$ and is it really a huge difference??

This is just a weekend car might track it 2x a year
Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Look for a Boxster S with PASM and be patient. When the right car appears, strike fast, though deals will be tough to find in Spring.

GTS is not worth the premium, unless you find one with PASM and at a good price. There's no noticeable difference between equally equipped GTS and S. GTS will also cost more on average because they came out in 2015. There are 2013 Box S out there.

X73 will be too stiff in NY. I'm in CT and am VERY glad I got PASM. I use the button all the time as roads switch from smooth to rugged on a dime.

Don't get a 718. Drive one and you'll see -- there's a big difference in sound and feel. Not for me. Stick with NA. If you move away from 981, move "down", not "up". Don't shy away from 987.1/.2. I was looking for a 981 and ended up with a 987. I actually prefer it, price no object.

Quick Reply: 2016 boxster spider vs 2016 911 cab s