Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:14 PM
james.fox
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too have a 981 Cayman S, and have been experiencing the exact same sentiment. That is, it is a terribly wonderful driving experience, but I am no where near pushing the car to its boundaries, or taking advantage of the modern engineering.

So here I am pawing at 993s and 964s to preserve the same, perhaps more desirably analog, driving experience.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:51 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I DD my 991.1 TTS like my 3 previous 911s. I think they are built to be driven daily to enjoy.

However, I am considering buying a 987.1 for autocross. looking to buy a high mileage one (90K plus) so I would not mind modding / racing / breaking etc. I am well aware of IMS / RMS potential issues, but having driven my 2005 997.1 for 60K+ miles with no issues I think the gears might be exaggerated, esp. with doing proper maintenance. Any wisdom why not?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
However, I am considering buying a 987.1 for autocross. looking to buy a high mileage one (90K plus) so I would not mind modding / racing / breaking etc. I am well aware of IMS / RMS potential issues, but having driven my 2005 997.1 for 60K+ miles with no issues I think the gears might be exaggerated, esp. with doing proper maintenance. Any wisdom why not?
With the proper upgrades the 987.1 is very reliable on the track from what I have seen/heard from various Porsche techs. Perfect car for the track.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:34 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

After daily driving Toyota 4wd pickups for 30 years, traded 2011 taco for 2018 Macan S. It's really fun to drive, comfortable, and I appreciate my daily driver layout matching my toy car layout. 2015 BGTS covered, garaged, and on a battery tender.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

My daily is a 2005 Acura TL. Great car, with 241K miles on it. Runs like new and has needed nothing out of the ordinary in the last 70K miles that I've owned it. As much as I love it, I hardly ever drive it. Why drive the Acura if I can drive the Porsche? I would, however, like to rack up some more miles and see how far I can drive this thing. I've never owned a car with this high of mileage before.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

As previously mention a base 981 boxster with manual is a good option. Top down driving on the road is an experience by itself. And the lower hp and manual tranny make it more fun to flog.

Another option is my personal choice a gen 4 Miata. Light agile and decently quick. It's the go kart you always dreamed of as a kid. It's so small that it feels much faster than it is though it's capable of going quite fast. They are AutoX weapons when set up correctly too.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2018, 01:30 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Another Toyota Tacoma here.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 141 Posts

ND Miata looking good! I enjoyed the 2 years I had daily driving an NB, I'm sure the ND is a ton more comfortable and suitable as a daily (newer tech, etc)
Old 12-13-2018, 02:23 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by james.fox
I, too have a 981 Cayman S, and have been experiencing the exact same sentiment. That is, it is a terribly wonderful driving experience, but I am no where near pushing the car to its boundaries, or taking advantage of the modern engineering.

So here I am pawing at 993s and 964s to preserve the same, perhaps more desirably analog, driving experience.
Sounds like we have a similar view. It's incredible on the track/autocross, but it's wasted on the commute. I see some of these incredible 911s speced with a ton of luxury features and I ask myself what the point is. It's never going to be as luxurious/comfortable as a Lexus for the commute.

Interesting that we're also looking at older air-cooled cars.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Daily driving the Boxster S here. Year 'round P-car with a manual trans? I'm about as happy as can be. Requires a set of winter tires/wheels, but that's about it. I cannot convey how much I love driving with the top down, particularly at night. One gets a surprisingly long season for open-top driving in the Chicago area.

That said, I've driven all my P-cars year round.
944 was awesome daily and excelled in the snow with Blizzaks, it held our young family in full...
968 a bit nicer ride, had snows on it even with a cage and race seat, eventually succumbed to being the race car...
Boxster fits needs nicely at this stage...

All along, the pleasure of driving a Porsche every day and everywhere. Kinda hard to beat.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Charr328
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For me, the best thing that happens every day is that I wake up in the morning. The second best thing that happens every day is getting in a Porsche and driving away. I hope to keep doing the same things for as many days as I have left. All 8 of my previous Porsches were daily drivers as well.

'14 Cayman S MT
Old 12-13-2018, 09:05 PM
james.fox
Track Day

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Sounds like we have a similar view. It's incredible on the track/autocross, but it's wasted on the commute. I see some of these incredible 911s speced with a ton of luxury features and I ask myself what the point is. It's never going to be as luxurious/comfortable as a Lexus for the commute.

Interesting that we're also looking at older air-cooled cars.
Almost completely agree. I wouldn't say it's "wasted" because the experience is incredible. One of the best reasons to buy the Porsche mid-engine platform in my opinion.

Peer affirmation is (almost) always a good thing!!
Old 12-22-2018, 05:18 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'01 986 BS for 9 years then '13 BS daily for the last 2 year. year-round except for when it's really crappy, then the 03 Silverado come out.

thinking of something different lately, might trade the Boxster for a new JL Wrangler when the 2020's come out.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:59 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Coming from a 981, I like my 991.2 better as a daily driver. Its less noisy, more powerful, more comfortable, easier to drive, etc. I personally find that it’s less stressful to daily drive a comfortable well handling torquey car. A slow wobbly SUV or truck occasionally helps keep that in perspective. Some people can tolerate a noisy impractical car daily like a lotus, but it wears me out. Given the options, I probably wouldn’t want to daily a 981/987 mainly because the noise gets old after a while and the PCM is really dated. If you have short drives, it might be fine though. The 781 would be better, but the loud droning motor/exhaust was fatiguing when I had a loaner...probably more than 981. I’m a fan of the 911 platform atm. My next choice would be a VW Golf R or an AUDI TTS (came close to TTRS only to realize they sold over MSRP and for the price I should spend a little more to get a Porsche).
Old 12-22-2018, 12:16 PM
vr32
AutoX

Echo the earlier suggestions of a Golf/GTI/R. I daily a GTI in PA and get by fine in the winters with snow tires. The other benefit is I put proper summer tires on the GTI for spring - fall and it makes the car a lot better than the bad all seasons that come with the car. I think the MK7 platform is a great combination of fun to drive along with technology. My car has driver assistance package which has adaptive cruise, collision avoidance, etc and couple that with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and it makes for a great daily driver <30k.

I looked at the Golf R having come from an R32 and came to the conclusion I did not need it. The front diff on the GTI is quite good on putting the power down while cornering and nearly eliminating torque steer. Obviously the Golf R has better traction from a stop , especially in wet/snow, but I did not find I needed it considering the price difference (not MSRP, but real world purchase pricing). I believe a good FWD with proper snow tires is better than an AWD with all seasons as it can brake and turn better - typically what you need to avoid an accident. Where I think the Golf R is a must is anyone who is looking to tune the car >300 hp

Quick Reply: Daily drivers?