Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS exhaust issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

No matter your relationship with the dealer, I too doubt the dealer will swap the entire exhaust based on what has transpired to this point. Could be the valve on the other side, if one was stuck why couldn't the other be stuck? Could be ECU related, changed the battery recently?
Old 03-06-2020, 11:09 PM
ar3910
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to revive this thread but just wondering did you get to the bottom of the issue? I too had a sticking valve on the left which caused the exhaust sound to be muffled and it lost its pops and bangs. The sticky valve was cut out and replaced under warranty and I did experience a return to the normal pops and crackles again for around 6 months, however they've recently disappeared again. Oddly, both valves seem to be working from looking at them but I'm wondering if perhaps one of the valve flaps inside is broken and stuck shut now. The muffled sound is identical to when the valve was sticking 6 months ago. Please let me know what happened with yours! Thanks
Old 08-18-2021, 06:44 PM
Iatm
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ar3910
Sorry to revive this thread but just wondering did you get to the bottom of the issue? I too had a sticking valve on the left which caused the exhaust sound to be muffled and it lost its pops and bangs. The sticky valve was cut out and replaced under warranty and I did experience a return to the normal pops and crackles again for around 6 months, however they've recently disappeared again. Oddly, both valves seem to be working from looking at them but I'm wondering if perhaps one of the valve flaps inside is broken and stuck shut now. The muffled sound is identical to when the valve was sticking 6 months ago. Please let me know what happened with yours! Thanks
hi ar3910. Did you ever get to the bottom of your issue. I swear the exact same thing has happened to me. Had both sides changed, everything was brilliant and literally a few months on it’s changed in a day but both valves appear to be working!!
Old 08-18-2021, 07:47 PM
ar3910
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Iatm
hi ar3910. Did you ever get to the bottom of your issue. I swear the exact same thing has happened to me. Had both sides changed, everything was brilliant and literally a few months on it’s changed in a day but both valves appear to be working!!
Hi unfortunately not, but luckily it’s just an intermittent issue for me now. I still notice it becoming more muffled and losing the pops and crackles like it would when the valve was jammed but both valves appear to be opening when you check underneath the car. It seems to be after hard driving for me at high revs. I wonder if there is another internal valve which is sticking when the exhaust heats up. Let me know if you manage to solve it! Thanks
Old 08-18-2021, 07:57 PM
Iatm
2nd Gear

Hi unfortunately not, but luckily it’s just an intermittent issue for me now. I still notice it becoming more muffled and losing the pops and crackles like it would when the valve was jammed but both valves appear to be opening when you check underneath the car. It seems to be after hard driving for me at high revs. I wonder if there is another internal valve which is sticking when the exhaust heats up. Let me know if you manage to solve it! Thanks
thanks for getting back to me. Initially I thought I was being paranoid but I don’t think I am. For me it started instantly when my car had a “hiccup” and started dropping down the gears real quick by itself and had a stutter but nothing flagged up and it’s been ok since but something feels off. I keep thinking it could be related to a bad coil pack. It’s the crackles I seem to have lost and when I do get them the timing is off on them as if some are missing. I might just give it into Porsche to do full checks even if it’s just for peace of mind. I’ll keep you updated.

Quick Reply: 981 GTS exhaust issue